Problem emc 2.2.2 bug reports ?

Thread: emc 2.2.2 bug reports ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default emc 2.2.2 bug reports ?

Hello new to emc but refuse to give up. have found a number of problems in the setup of my machine and curious who do you send bug reports ?
    one big problem is stepconfigs handling of pulley ratios.

I have been in the mechanical field for 20+ years and stepconfigs ratios are backwards aswell as flawed.

example my z has a ratio of 19 motor turns to 1 srew turn, the screw would be a 1" lead but this dosn't ork right.

I can make the system work both ways with different results.

also ratios as i know them are 1;1, 2:1 etc.. as the screens tell you but
    my setup wants them entered backward 1 motor too 2 screw. when its actually 2 motor to 1 screw.

curious if anyone has noticed this or am i missing something, have been burning the candle at both ends some nights.

Gads

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Gads,

If I recall correctly, you have to enter steps/rotation (motor/driver 200 fullstep, 400 half step, 2000 10microstep, or whatever), gear ratio between motor and screw (direct drive 1:1, or gear ratio) and the turns per inch (tpi) of the screw.

To report an error I would suggest going the the irc chat on linuxcnc.org.

They just released 2.2.3 which includes some fixes to stepconf.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi acondit
    i dont know about the old stuff but at least in step config somethings wrong. i didnt measure anything when i did x and y but after finding problem with z i went back and found things where off in a run test and ended up reversing the ratio 2 motor too 1 lead.
    the gecko is a preset when you run stepconfig except for microstep setting which i had set fo 2 for half step. maybe the preset gecko files are wrong. i'll look into linuxnc and see if i can report my findings.

thanks again
    gads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gads View Post
    hi acondit
    i dont know about the old stuff but at least in step config somethings wrong. i didnt measure anything when i did x and y but after finding problem with z i went back and found things where off in a run test and ended up reversing the ratio 2 motor too 1 lead.
    the gecko is a preset when you run stepconfig except for microstep setting which i had set fo 2 for half step. maybe the preset gecko files are wrong. i'll look into linuxnc and see if i can report my findings.

thanks again
    gads
    Gads,

Unless you are running a gecko with the optional step multiplier (G212, or added G901), they are fixed 10 microstep not halfstep.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Acondit i'm running g210's that have jumper for selecting steps 1,2,5m,10m
    from what i understand i can remove a board from these and its basicly a g201.

i havn't installed the 2.2.3 release yet but downloaded it and looked over bug list and
    didn't notice anything.

maybe you have seen this but in mini interface there is no machine power button. i thought maybe it looked for charge pump but turned charge pump on and cant get past
    e-stop/machine power error. estop working fine. i now i can use the other interfaces but
    i like the features in mini's layout.

thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Gads,

Sorry I can't help you with Mini because I use Axis.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

what version of emc are you running?

sam

oops - should read - 2.2.2

I know this was change recently.. you might want to try 2.2.3

sam

Last edited by samco; 01-31-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: stupidity

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi samco I just upgraded lastnight from 2.2 - 2.3, I have things working so i don't know if i'll go back through stepconfig to see if anything changes. I just spent more time than i think i should have with what appeared to be simple ratios. mach3 setup was a sinch. as for my problems with mini gui i think i found on sherlines web site that alot of home/limit functions are removed and some other stuff. so thats not something i'll bother trying to get going.

Thanks Gads

Downloads
    Uploads

Understood.

You have to remember emc started as a nist (us government) machine controller to standardize machines for government contracts using current computer technology. When the hobbyist got a hold of it - they modified it and made emc1. This worked well but was not very easy to change its setup unless you where a programmer. A bunch of the developers saw a way they could improve it by adding the flexibility to be able to control almost any type of machine. Using the hal model that was spear headed by John Kasunich (jmkasunich on #emc irc) this made emc very flexible. You can hook virtual pins from from motion/io to external pins - run them thru hal software modules like PID, Stepgen, inverter, dbounce, encoder among other objects. You also have access to software ladder logic (classic ladder) integrated into emc2. Again - this make emc2 very configurable. You can control things as simple as a diy router all the way up to machining centers with tool and pallet changers.

But

This flexibillity also makes it more complicated. You need to read thru the manual and hal information to understand how it all works. The stepconf is an attempt to make simple stepper machines easier to configure. It is brand new. You can always go back down to the ini and hal files to make more tweeks.

Manuals
    http://linuxcnc.org/docs/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pickin up what ya puttin down Samco

when I build my system I spent a lot of time looking for info and had read up a little on emc. If I remember this stuff was written back before pc's and internet where imagined.
    I had downloaded emc at the time and attempted to use but threw in the towel early because of my ignorence with linux etc..and the instant success with mach. Having some programming experience and knowledge of emc's roots my first thought was that
    with this software must be full qwerks if it involves the government and pre PC technologie. I would be curious to know if todays emc is still NIST standards or is this a public continuation of a dead government project. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for someone to ***** at, I realize the effort people have put into this stuff for free. I think I had an impression that with the time emc has been around that thing where more advanced and info was easilly available. I was looking for some input from people who have used stepconfig to see if I was missing something in what seemed like a cut and dry initial setup screen before I tried reporting what I feel is a bug.

Thanks Gads

Downloads
    Uploads

The developer that wrote the step-conf took a look at your issue and made a change to how the line is worded. This should clarify it. Hope this helps. It will be in the next release (or you can get it from cvs trunk).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi samco and thanks for your effort. from the looks of the new screen you
    posted the wording would appear to be diff. if this is the case systems settings shouldn't change if step config is rerun without changing the existing numbers. I think you or acondit mentioned something about pre step config setups that required motor steps or teeth counts.

I have been very pleased with emc2 so far, running large programs etc.. and have been trying out axis and tkemc. ? any sites have pre written code for adding functions to axis or tkemc. would like to add a edit screen or change the program display to editable. i would like to find a site that has code that can be cut and pasted into my hal or ini files rather than learn the whole process of programming python,hal etc.. I have started playing with the panel using the manuals to figure out some of this stuff.

Thanks again for your efforts
    Gads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gads,

I wrote several g-code generators that can be opened from Axis and the code dumped into Axis when done. It is listed on the wiki site.

Also to edit your .ngc file from Axis you have to add a line to your config as shown here in the Program Filters section.

You can also add a pyVCP (virtual control panel) to Axis just check the docs on the emc site or the wiki site for more info.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gads View Post
    or change the program display to editable.
    Afaik it's not possible to directly edit the gcode text in the program window. It would be a nice feature and at least some (probably all?) proprietary controls can do this.
    Caution must be used when doing this in regard to modal commands etc when restarting from a line.

The closest thing I'm aware of for Axis is choosing an editor in the .ini as John T suggests.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.