Setting up Linux CNC with Clearpath Servos. Best controller board to interface with? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up Linux CNC with Clearpath Servos. Best controller board to interface with?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting up Linux CNC with Clearpath Servos. Best controller board to interface w

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Mach3 has a lot of bugs, and features that don't work properly, and it was no longer being supported.

If it was bug free, and fully functional, they likely would have preferred a Windows control to a Linux control. As most people would.
    I dont think so, AFAICT, the ability to fix bugs and add deep features (not just window dressing) themselves was a major factor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting up Linux CNC with Clearpath Servos. Best controller board to interface w

That's kinda what I said.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Latency remains an issue with stepper motors as the trajectory planner is all about coordinated moves, toolpath, path velocity etc. Imagine if an axis lagged behind
    LinuxCNC will report if the latency exceeds allowable limits. eg. the Servo thread can't service everything in time.
    How could an axis lag behind? They are controlled with one realtime FPGA.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Compare the ESS step gen of about 2-3 mHz vs Mesa's FGPA at 10 mHz..... maybe its trying to do too much...
    Yes that's too much 4MHz is already too much. it is noise sensitive to send that short step pulses where there is no error correction at all. There is etherCAT and CAN buses and analog +-10V for that high frequencies.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Latency is more of a problem with open loop steppers than it is with a closed loop system. Any hiccup in the step pulses can be thought of as an acceleration or deceleration of the stepper. A big enough hiccup and it acts like an instantaneous acceleration that the motor can keep up with and it stalls. Depending on the closed loop system you have, it can make up for the above. A closed loop cannot.
    Thats not really applicable for LinuxCNC. Latency in a LCNC context is a function of the hardware. Sometimes you can fix it with BIOS settings but if its not good enough, you need to change your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Now finally to the question. Does using external hardware (Mesa or other) reduce that response lag ? Question asked in relation to possibly adding an MPG to one machine.
    Some Mesa cards (like my 7i76e which has 2 of them) have MPG inputs built in. I've found they work well. Mesa also make a daughter card specifically for consoles and pendants (the 7i73) so it would be possible to build a hardware pendant or console that would give full control of your machine without needing to touch the keyboard. In my case, I use a 433 Mhz wireless pendant that has a relay box/receiver inside the control box that is hardwired to the pendant buttons because when you have 32 inputs and 16 outputs you can do things like that!

Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have stress tested a ton of linuxcnc real time systems. As rod has said- the computer hardware needs to play well with real-time kernel. If it does (which in my experience is more likely than not) it 'just works' tm. I have pushed systems to swap without it missing a beat.

Here is a laptop running a win 10 vritual machine while running a mill. It really is amazing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12