A New Widescree-Touch LinuxCNC User Interface Proposal - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New Widescree-Touch LinuxCNC User Interface Proposal

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A New Widescree-Touch LinuxCNC User Interface Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaEM View Post
    Wendtmk, seeing that you are not a fan of GUIs, and gave 10 paragraphs of opinion for one question...

Would you please consider sitting this thread out?

I promise to try my best to keep my responses respectful, and accurate to the best of my abilities.

I am trying to get programming help for the interface, and that is also my purpose here, here, where you devalued my multiple-month design effort in an open forum.
    I'm not a fan of all GUI's but I do like some.

You do realize this is a public forum, open to any and all opinions. Once you start a thread, it's open to any replies. Those 10 paragraphs as you say were in direct response to your 10 paragraphs of statements and questions. Not just one question.

I did not devalue any of your efforts. All I said is you need to get past the picture stage and get some code behind it and actually make the thing work. It's a nice design, and have no quarrel with you trying to get it working with LinuxCNC. I applaud your efforts to this point. This is the easy part though. The hard part is coding this interface to, firstly, working with the underlying code that is LinuxCNC, and secondly, to do all the operations you've got buttons and menus for.

At this point, you're trying to sell everyone on the images, in which everything from buttons, menu items, keyboard and data entry boxes are layed out rather nicely. But, the problem is, it doesn't do anything but sit there and look nice.

You have quite a few offers of coding help, both here on this forum and on the LinuxCNC forum. Have you taken any of those offers up?

Whatever you choose to do is up to you. If you get it done, good on you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wendtmk View Post
    I...

I did not devalue any of your efforts.
    This is the easy part though. The hard part is coding this interface to, firstly, working with the underlying code that is LinuxCNC, and secondly, to do all the operations you've got buttons and menus for....
    The proceeding seems contradictory.

I spent 3 months working on the interface design, often over 20 hours a week. That and the valuable feedback and suggestions I got is why the response has been favorable.
    You may not know this, and as I have stated, it's difficult to wear the design and programmer hat at the same time. Using my cold and calculating design hat, I could not be in the headspace and do not have the skill to make the kind of graphics that LcVette proposed for the interface.

Before writing a program, it's efficient to have some idea what you are making. It's not that my effort is any more valuable than any other part of the process, but design including graphical design is part of the process.

With the help of others, I continued to develop the interface to make sure that there were few dead-end design issues that would affect it's programming, because, yes, programmers' time and effort is valuable.

Respectfully, you fundamentally misunderstand me aim. I am not trying to sell people on images, I am trying to sell people on system, an organization, a most importantly: a collection and potentially function compromise of many of requests and ideas of the forum members of LinuxCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaEM View Post
    The proceeding seems contradictory.

I spent 3 months working on the interface design, often over 20 hours a week. That and the valuable feedback and suggestions I got is why the response has been favorable.
    You may not know this, and as I have stated, it's difficult to wear the design and programmer hat at the same time. Using my cold and calculating design hat, I could not be in the headspace and do not have the skill to make the kind of graphics that LcVette proposed for the interface.

Before writing a program, it's efficient to have some idea what you are making. It's not that my effort is any more valuable than any other part of the process, but design including graphical design is part of the process.

With the help of others, I continued to develop the interface to make sure that there were few dead-end design issues that would affect it's programming, because, yes, programmers' time and effort is valuable.

Respectfully, you fundamentally misunderstand me aim. I am not trying to sell people on images, I am trying to sell people on system, an organization, a most importantly: a collection and potentially function compromise of many of requests and ideas of the forum members of LinuxCNC.

I think you meant to type "preceding" in your first sentence.

Let me give you a little more of my background. I've got a computer science degree and worked for years writing code and building interfaces for satellite command and control systems, as well as software that did data collecting and number crunching. I've written thousands and thousands of lines of code on software development projects hundreds of times more complex than your interface project. Yes, projects do involve an idea of what the final product is going to look like and do. Been there, done that a lot of times. Been involved in the interface development as well as the background coding that allows the interface to actually interface with whatever we're trying to control.

Respectfully you fundamentally misunderstand what I've been saying here. I never said you were trying to sell people on images. I said all you've got to this point is images, with nothing behind said images that will make this project actually work. The problem you're going to have is you already alienated a bunch of people who were initially willing to actually start coding some of the stuff you designed on the front end.

I wish you the best of luck bringing this project to completion and having a working interface. It'll be a very nice piece of software to add to the arsenal of software that is LinuxCNC.

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark, I agree that what I presented in it's present state isn't a functional program, but it's the start of one.

Because I too do some programing, such as this command-line stepper utility with sinusoidal smoothing I feel I understand and respect the act of programming. I've taken a lot of time on the interface, which also alienated people, and I did it because I wanted to make sure that there were no dead ends before asking anyone to help me.

I was not the only source of my trouble on LinuxCNC. There has been some moderation there in the last day. I've always felt that if people stay on topic, and be respectful to one another, there are less problems.

Someone wrote me the other day, and expressed a willingness to code the interface : )
    I've replied back. Perhaps with all the other drama I've had on the forum, I misread something, or didn't follow through with something.

I am supposed to be taking a few days off from everything. I worked to fix a SVG graphic source documentation omission I made.

--Brenda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12