Are 25mm Ball Screws a good Idea on a hobby cnc?

Thread: Are 25mm Ball Screws a good Idea on a hobby cnc?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Are 25mm Ball Screws a good Idea on a hobby cnc?

Hello,

I am Planning to build a new cnc router to cut wood and aluminium.
    I have some Nema 34 with 1200 oz-in laying around.

Torque Curve: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/34E1K-45_Torque_Curve.pdf

I want to use 2510 ball screws, since they fit very well into my construction,
    But I am not sure if the motors are powerful enough to move the 140lbs/70kg Gantry. Length of the ball screws is 4 feet max.
    According to my calculations, it should be possible, but does one of you have some experience with such „large“ diameter ball screws on a hobby cnc router? I am worried that the Motors will not be powerful enough.Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Marcbr; 01-06-2023 at 04:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marcbr View Post
    Hello,

I am Planning to build a new cnc router to cut wood and aluminium.
    I have some Nema 34 with 1200 oz-in laying around.

Torque Curve: https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/34E1K-45_Torque_Curve.pdf

I want to use 2510 ball screws, since they fit very well into my construction,
    But I am not sure if the motors are powerful enough to move the 140lbs/70kg Gantry. Length of the ball screws is 4 feet max.
    According to my calculations, it should be possible, but does one of you have some experience with such „large“ diameter ball screws on a hobby cnc router? I am worried that the Motors will not be powerful enough.Thanks!
    A properly assembled axis that long should be easy to push along (by hand) with linear rails. I don't think the motors would have a problem if you can rotate the ballscrew freely by hand.

Another thought is with that ballscrew you could run with bearings at the motor end only, the other end cropped, reducing friction further.

Last edited by servtech; 01-06-2023 at 04:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Are 25mm Ball Screws a good Idea on a hobby cnc?

Hi Marc - I'm sure the 10mm pitch screws will move your gantry easily. The issue is accelerating the inertia. Most of the torque will be used to accelerate the rotating masses vs translating them. If your up for the math here's a spreadsheet that calculates the various torques. The prime issue is if you want to accelerate the gantry and Z axis fast. Often Nema34 motors have large inertias and large inductance both go against achieving high accelerations/speeds. Having said that hobby machines rarely need accels say better then 0.2g (usually around 0.1g) and this is usually easily achieved with the sort of gear your talking about. If you want 1g then you'll need to rethink but 1g is the realm of exceptional high speed commercial machines... see how you go with the worksheet and ask any Q's needed. Peter

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

10mm pitch screws that are 25mm diameter are a good match for your motors

Downloads
    Uploads

I have successfully run a 40x40 ball screw on a 750LB table with a 1200 oz/in stepper. No problem at all. Geared down 1.3:1

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA