Machining a ballscrew... is this correct?

Thread: Machining a ballscrew... is this correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Machining a ballscrew... is this correct?

I'm getting ready to machine a ballscrew for converting a G0602 to CNC. I've read the stickies, but have some questions still...
    - Is this (drawing below) the correct way to machine the screw? With this, the end of the unmachined part of the ballscrew and the washer will sandwich the inner race of the bearing.
    - I had got a set of parts for this a long time ago and it came with standard radial bearings. My goal is to machine small parts (maybe ~2" dia x 1.5" long) and don't need any significant accuracy, but I want a finish as clean as possible. Should I switch to angular bearings? These ( https://www.bocabearings.com/search?w=SMr3201-2rs%2Fth9 ) are not expensive, but will require some re-machining of the mount parts I got, and that's the part that I'm apprehensive about ... getting it correct and not screwing up the parts. Also will probably need to change spacers and some bolts as this bearing is thicker than these parts were originally made for.

Machining a ballscrew... is this correct?-ballscrew-machining-01-jpg

Thanks,
    -Neil.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Machining a ballscrew... is this correct?

As I remember it that looks like the way mine were machined. Put a flat on the shaft for the setscrew to seat on. I would certainly get the AC bearings. Anywhere you can eliminate backlash you should. It all adds up. The bearing you linked to is a double row bearing and not an angular contact bearing. You should also have a jam nut on there. You adjust the bearing preload with the first nut then lock it with the second nut.

Good Luck on your conversion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm... yeah, you're right about it being a double radial bearing. I had contacted them (as they're close to me) and was pointed to this specific part number. I'll keep searching.
    Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

When I searched "Angular contact" on Boca's site it took me to a page that list AC, double row, and regular bearings. I would have expected just AC bearings to be displayed.