Trouble sourcing roller guides

Thread: Trouble sourcing roller guides

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trouble sourcing roller guides

Does anyone know a source for roller-style linear guides? about 32" or 800mm

Of particular interest to me:
    NSK RA Series
    HIWIN RG Series

Mcmaster has an unknown brand available
    https://www.mcmaster.com/linear-bear...guide-rails-5/

I Don't know anything about this Supplier, but they seem like they know what they are selling.
    https://www.tuli-shop.com/linear-mot...r1a-linear-nsk

Ebay has many options in short lengths that would be great for the short Z-travel, but few options for X and Y

The purchase is for a build of an ultra-rigid machine that I am calling the Dumpster Datron after the E. Reese build of the build. Linear Guides on a granite surface plate. I am not yet certain how realistic my goal is, Im hoping to achieve the surface finishes that Datron machines can provide, but without high expectations for accuracy. The machine would be used to make soft tooling injection molds for non-critical plastic parts that must look nice. The factors that I believe make this a fairly realistic goal is the tiny work area of 24x24x4" and starting with a Grade B surface plate.

I had considered using the Hiwin HG25, but they are half the stiffness.

Piotr Fox Wysocki

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trouble sourcing roller guides

Hi,
    I have bought motion components like ballscrews and rails/cars from:

https://www.ebay.com/str/industrialpartsshop

Mostly second hand but some good bargains to be had.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

McMaster sells THK rails. They are crazy expensive at McMaster.

I bought some 2000mm THK 25mm SHS (I think, maybe SRS?) rails for a good price on eBay a few weeks ago. I was looking for that specific profile because I have a lot of carriages for them. There are a lot of longer rails on eBay.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    SHS (SRS?) are ball loaded cars, roller loaded cars are a whole step up, that they are expensive is a given.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

The site is currently down right now, but for the US at least Motion Constrained | Hiwin Linear Motion Guide Rail and Block Store seems to be a good option. They have Hiwin rails including roller rails up to 4m long and price by length of a cut. I am planning on using them in my next build so I stored a few numbers, for 2 1000mm long rails with 4 blocks of Hiwin RGH15, it came to a total of about $250. I remember RGH20 was just a few bucks more at that length, but didn't store the number anywhere for the other sizes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I have bought motion components like ballscrews and rails/cars from:

https://www.ebay.com/str/industrialpartsshop

Mostly second hand but some good bargains to be had.

Craig
    I'll second that. Good vendor, wicked fast shipping, sturdy packaging, descriptions are accurate. Among other things, I got a 32mm ID harmonic drive for $170US delivered in 4 days.

You can get roller guides from Misumi made by THK, IKO, or Bosch.

Why do you think you need roller guides for a Datron style machine? The entire design ethos of Datron is to have a quick, light machine and not build it like a brick. Cutting forces and spindle torque are extremely low. HG25 rails would be suitable, and are even comparable to what are used on Fanuc Robodrills (25mm ball guides on X and Y, 30mm ball guides on Z).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    You can get roller guides from Misumi made by THK, IKO, or Bosch.

Why do you think you need roller guides for a Datron style machine? The entire design ethos of Datron is to have a quick, light machine and not build it like a brick. Cutting forces and spindle torque are extremely low. HG25 rails would be suitable, and are even comparable to what are used on Fanuc Robodrills (25mm ball guides on X and Y, 30mm ball guides on Z).
    After a little bit more research, I can see that you are correct. The Datron M8 uses a standard linear motion package (Bosch-rexrocth MKX series) for the Y axis that is approximately equal to the performane of 25mm ball rails.