Need Help! Converting Momus CNC machine to ball screw.

Thread: Converting Momus CNC machine to ball screw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Converting Momus CNC machine to ball screw.

I am thinking of converting my momus to ball screw because timing belt design seems to have been unreliable dropping steps somewhere . Have been unable to zero in on exact problem but on a task involving the making of small wooden crosses every now and again the main leg had a taper instead of being parallel.
    So question is can i change to use ballscrews.
    My Steppers are Keeling Hybrid KL23H284-35-4bs and the driver is a Gecko 540 .
    I am thinking 16mm ball screws from china.
    TWO on X axis (800mm long) one either side the carriage attached to the the gantry. The Y axis at 600mm another 16mm ballscrew.
    As a basis is this a good approach.
    The z already has a thread/block feed set up.
    many thanks
    Raynor J

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Converting Momus CNC machine to ball screw.

Hello Raynor - Belts should not slip and motors should not loss steps.. You need to look at the Momus mechanics and figure out the issue. Ball screws are good but the current system should be reliable. Is it 10mm belt? My belt drive will only miss steps if it crashes. My system uses the G540 as well. I just looked at the Momus site and does your machine only drive on one side? If so upgrade to drive both sides, I expect that's the issue...Peter