Build Thread Help specifying 2 meter long Ball screw for Z axis...

Thread: Help specifying 2 meter long Ball screw for Z axis...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help specifying 2 meter long Ball screw for Z axis...

Hello again!

So I'm working on a 2 meter tall project. I have a 30mm wide belt ordered I was planning on using for the Z-axis. Now I am having second thoughts and would like some advice on Diameter and pitch I should be looking for a ball screw option.

First, there will be no fast moves in the Z axis. Pretty much going from zero upwards every time say 1" Speed will be no issue.

So, I have been looking at 2,000mm Ball screws. There will be around 100-125lb payload. I may counterweight that is necessary. I have a Nema 34 motor already with a 14mm shaft. I may get a worm gear as a right angle.

So what diameter would suit such a project? Is there a specific pitch I should look for? Could I drive the Ball screw right from the Work Gear output?

And I Guess, I would just need a bearing pillow block at the top? Because of the weight, would you recommend a second pillow block to be like the anchor. Less stress on the worm gearbox?

Thanks

Randy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help specifying 2 meter long Ball screw for Z axis...

A 1610 with a 2:1 belt reduction would be more than adequate given your low speed requirement, or even direct couple a 1605 to the motor shaft. More than enough linear force to handle 125 lbs.

Given your low accuracy, low speed requirement, I think a flange bearings would do fine. Not really designed for thrust, but they will actually take quite a bit, much more than the assembly could exert on it.

Now the real problem, how are you going to keep the abrasive clay off the the ball screw, and out of the lower bearing? That alone would cause me to look in another direction. My lathe has an extensive sliding shield system to keep the coolant and chips out, but the Z axis on my Haas mill has an exposed ball screw on the lower end and it does get splashed with coolant & chips, but that is really a pretty non abrasive environment.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim you are great! My 30mm HTD5M belt came in yesterday. Seems a bit stiff but plenty strong for the Z axis. This is the white Poly belt, Maybe I should have bought the black rubber version. The Ball screw was just a thought, since I found some in 2 meter lengths not too expensive. I am working on the X axis as I call it and I wouldn't mind your thoughts on 3 or so options.

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy I could help

I'll be happy to try to help guide you with the X axis.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    A 1610 with a 2:1 belt reduction would be more than adequate given your low speed requirement, or even direct couple a 1605 to the motor shaft. More than enough linear force to handle 125 lbs.

Given your low accuracy, low speed requirement, I think a flange bearings would do fine. Not really designed for thrust, but they will actually take quite a bit, much more than the assembly could exert on it.

Now the real problem, how are you going to keep the abrasive clay off the the ball screw, and out of the lower bearing? That alone would cause me to look in another direction. My lathe has an extensive sliding shield system to keep the coolant and chips out, but the Z axis on my Haas mill has an exposed ball screw on the lower end and it does get splashed with coolant & chips, but that is really a pretty non abrasive environment.
    You would have a hard time finding a 2m long 16mm ballscrew they normally only go up to 1500mm

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You would have a hard time finding a 2m long 16mm ballscrew they normally only go up to 1500mm
    OK, 20-25mm then

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA