Ballscrew brand recommendation?

Thread: Ballscrew brand recommendation?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ballscrew brand recommendation?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying some ballscrews which may be 16-20 mm diameter and 5-10 mm pitch for a router I'm designing. I don't wan't to spend any more than I need to but at the same time I don't want to buy the cheapest ballscrews available and end up regretting the decision. I suspect I will end up going with a Taiwanese ballscrew which I expect would be a step above the nameless Chinese ones. Anyone able to recommend which brands I should look at and which I'd be best to avoid?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Big question, what is the price range you arr willing to pay? If you start looking, I'm sure that the Taiwanese ballscrews start at several hundred dollars a piece.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ballscrew brand recommendation?

Ground ballscrews are definitely beyond what I'm prepared to pay. I've been looking at some of the TBI Motion ballscrews on Amazon and they look to be reasonably priced. TBI also has a website and some Youtube videos which shows some of their manufacturing processes which gives me confidence in their product.I haven't come up with a hard figure of what I'm prepared to pay, just looking around to see what's out there before I narrow the field.

Downloads
    Uploads

the higher end models from tbi are very decent for the cost, if they are real and factory machined.
    be wary of online sellers of tbi for suspiciously cheap prices (usually under $100). some aren't legit.
    also be wary of end machining not done by the factory, it can be horrifically bad.

hit ebay and type thk bnk2010 or bnk1510. there are often new boxed c5 ground screws for $200us in various lengths from top notch Korean sellers with free shipping. make sure its the c5 ones. the c7 are NOT preloaded.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip Ihavenofish. I did contact TBI through their website and asked if they are affiliated with the Amazons seller TBI Motion, no response as yet. As a point of interest, I noticed a number of the Taiwan suppliers use ballscrew end supports which look very similar to the cheap ebay ones, not sure if the ebay ones are cheap, low quality copies or they are the same thing.

https://www.syk.tw/en/product/category/F000001
    https://www.tbimotion.com.tw/en/cate...ixed-Side.html
    https://www.tbimotion.com.tw/en/cate...ated-Side.html
    https://www.abbalinear.com/en-ww/bal...crew.php?fid=2

Downloads
    Uploads

the end supports are standard. everyone and their dog makes a version. I have nsk ones on my desk here. they used a standard pair of 7000 series bearings in a block. if the bearings and matched, and of p5 or better grade, and the blocks are square, then that's about all you need.

the complaints on the el cheapo blocks tend to be that the bearings are not matched and end up with play. people do various things to fix this, adding spacers etc. at some point, its easier to just buy good ones for $60-$80 an axis. not cheap, but not insane like the nsk's which can run $400+ per axis.

for the 15mm nsk screws on my router, I just bought the matched nsk p5 bearings from mitsumi (7001 size $49us) and had a machined aluminium block made. these blocks are special for the machine though and proper steel blocks would cost a lot to make.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've picked up syk c3 fk12 on ebay for a reasonable price from a seller in Israel. Try looking at automation4less ballscrews. They start at the $100 range. I pick on up from the Z axis on my G0704. Haven't used it yet but definately better than the Rotons I have

Downloads
    Uploads

I spotted these on the Misumi site.

Ballscrew brand recommendation?-misumi-c-bss2010-jpg

For a C5 accuracy ballscrew that looks like very good value. My only concern is that it's not preloaded and I'm not sure what to make of that, it it intended to be used as is without any preloading? There does not appear to be any adjustment on the nut in the CAD file.

Downloads
    Uploads

um, where did you find that? I see what looks like the same screw but for $600+

in any case, that's far too much backlash really. almost 2 thou.

Downloads
    Uploads

oooh, Australia. so are they selling the same screw in aus for 1/2 the price? that's not fair!

ericks

I got some TBI 2010 and 1605 for my build. They seem to look okay and the custom end machining i asked for looks good, however they still in plastic atm

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, that much backlash pretty much make the C5 rating irrelevant. Strange that you're paying much more in the states for the same ballscrew, it's usually the other way around with the Aussies paying more for everything.

Ericks, did you buy direct from TBI or through a reseller?

ericks

I tried to contact tbi to buy direct but never got a reply...i believe the end machining was done through the reseller by tbi. I did manage to buy the ball screw bearings direct from syk

Downloads
    Uploads

Edit, I found this table which puts the backlash at less than 0.015 mm which is at the high end of the C5 screws but equal to or better than any of the rolled ballscrews.I'm not sure why there's conflicting values for the backlash.

Ballscrew brand recommendation?-c-bss-backlash-jpg

Last edited by Splint; 01-05-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

ah, bss vs c-bss. theres no c-bss I can find on misumi usa. explains the price difference.

8 microns is borderline acceptable for backlash depending on what your doing, but preloaded would still be better. I wonder why they don't offer them preloaded.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually in the 15 and 20 mm shaft the backlash is 15 microns which seems odd when you think about how a smaller component would most likely be more difficult to hold tolerance during manufacturing.