Recommendations for 30mm Linear Rail Bearing - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for 30mm Linear Rail Bearing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommendations for 30mm Linear Rail Bearing

my guess is they are completely clogged with sawdust. if you actually have metal shavings then you need new balls. first thing you need to do is measure them, you may be able to find the correct size on mcmaster carr. if not you can buy them from balltec

i would take them back off the machine and scrub them with a toothbrush and solvent if you don't want to pull the end seals off and wash the bearings out.

my guess is the return tube is clogged with sawdust and that is why they are so hard to move.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Recommendations for 30mm Linear Rail Bearing

If the balls cannot circulate then that would accelerate wear significantly. Depending on the particular bearing system, the balls could be chrome steel or stainless steel. Same goes for the rails. The rails might also have a hard coating. It's usual for the balls and/or rails to wear more than the blocks. From your photo I can't see any evidence of rust which would be a killer, so a clean-out and reball might be all you need. Consider lubrication carefully - oil might be preferable to grease because dust is less likely to adhere to the rail and end up in the bearing. Assuming these rails and bearings are salvageable and you have the room, check to see if the double end-seal and/or metal scraper are available (and affordable) for extra protection. If you need to replace the system, buy one with those options. You should also look at covering the whole system with bellows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12