Anti-whipping ballscrew idea

Thread: Anti-whipping ballscrew idea

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anti-whipping ballscrew idea

Is there any reason why this won't work? On a long ballscrew turning at high rpm's we all know there is a problem with whipping of the screw. A rotating nut system is good but complicated. Why not a piggyback type of arrangement with a Delrin block riding on a linear wagon on the linear profile rail that hits a stop just shy of halfway and therefor stops the screw from whipping as the nut travels to the extreme end of travel. There would be such a setup on each side of the ballnut. In the video I only modeled one support but you get the idea hopefully.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anti-whipping ballscrew idea

you need two delrin blocks, one on each side of the ball nut. but yes that would work. you could use a magnet in the delrin block to cause it to stick to the ball nut.

i doubt anyone has tried to solve this problem before because the ballscrew whip is as much a problem as is the compression of the ballscrew itself.

meaning when you run into a situation where the ballscrew might whip, you also need it to be thicker so that its axially stiffer.

some of the big machines have gun drilled ball screws (probably machined from dom tubing, but that doesn't matter.) and coolant flows through the ballscrew. the lost mass due to the hole in the middle translates into a higher natural resonant frequency, so that works to solve the problem as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    you need two delrin blocks, one on each side of the ball nut. but yes that would work. you could use a magnet in the delrin block to cause it to stick to the ball nut.

i doubt anyone has tried to solve this problem before because the ballscrew whip is as much a problem as is the compression of the ballscrew itself.

meaning when you run into a situation where the ballscrew might whip, you also need it to be thicker so that its axially stiffer.

some of the big machines have gun drilled ball screws (probably machined from dom tubing, but that doesn't matter.) and coolant flows through the ballscrew. the lost mass due to the hole in the middle translates into a higher natural resonant frequency, so that works to solve the problem as well.
    I wrote that two would be needed but I didn't want to model and animate both for time saving reasons.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Is there any reason why this won't work? On a long ballscrew turning at high rpm's we all know there is a problem with whipping of the screw. A rotating nut system is good but complicated. Why not a piggyback type of arrangement with a Delrin block riding on a linear wagon on the linear profile rail that hits a stop just shy of halfway and therefor stops the screw from whipping as the nut travels to the extreme end of travel. There would be such a setup on each side of the ballnut. In the video I only modeled one support but you get the idea hopefully.

Does delrin blocks has internal thread or just a journal support?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Halbmond View Post
    Does delrin blocks has internal thread or just a journal support?
    Just a bushing no threads