Mounting linear rails on aluminium

Thread: Mounting linear rails on aluminium

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mounting linear rails on aluminium

Hi All,

I'm new here and have done some searching, but can't find a definitive answer.

I'd like to build a 3D printer that is actually built to some sort of tolerance, using Hiwin EG15 precision rails mounted on a welded aluminium chassis if possible.

I am aware of the need for a precision surface and reference edge, and this is where I'd like to get it right, unlike so many 3D printers where a precision rail is bolted onto a sheet of tin or even floated unsupported.

My plan was to make at least the top (XY) and rear (Z) panels in a solid welded construction by pre machining, fabricating and post machining in the rail mounts. The idea being that while we are not trying to build a full blown CNC machine, we are building something rigid and precise enough to possibly support use as an engraver etc further down the track.

If I am going to the trouble and expense of doing this, I feel I'd better consider thermal expansion of the aluminium and it's effect on the linear rails.

The build volume will be 300x300x450/600, and the cabinet around 550x500x750/900.

I'm looking at using 6 or 8mm 6061(I think) plate.

Obviously a brief description, but if at a glance it's obvious that expansion is an issue I'd rather take a different tack from the start.

While 3D printers don't require the kind of tolerances needed in CNC machines, I notice that the methods/materials used in printers are getting shoddier and shoddier, which is why I came here.

I'm looking to build something solid, reliable, repeatable and transportable, and in particular aligned correctly.

Point of interest would be that I plan to use the corexy configuration, which I understand is more common in CNC machines?

The machine will be enclosed, somewhat like a small bar fridge, and will get up to around 40-55 degC inside.