Servo or Stepper for CNC? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Servo or Stepper for CNC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Servo or Stepper for CNC?

Hi Strawb - You mention driving an ac servo with a stepper controller open loop. Does it still have a flat torque curve when you do this? If so I'm interested in doing this... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Strawb - You mention driving an ac servo with a stepper controller open loop. Does it still have a flat torque curve when you do this? If so I'm interested in doing this... Peter
    Yeah, you would need 3 stepper drivers and a 6 lead AC servo (not connected as a Wye or Delta). It would work... but your control would be garbage without lots of programming.

My point, which I realized after the edit option closed for me, was actually just that it would turn the motor functionally, not that it would on any way be desirable or plug and play.

Before people scream about no six lead servos, that's totally a thing when a motor is designed to be connected as Delta or Wye before final installation for voltage selection. Delta is a low voltage and Wye and high voltage, in for an otherwise identical windings. And no, not all motors can be either Delta or Wye. Many slot/pole arrangements are trapezoidal as Delta and Sinusoidal as Wye. If they are sinusoidal as Delta they will be sinusoidal as Wye. Some are sinusoidal as Wye and garbagezoidal as Delta.

Also as another note since I couldn't edit that original post, just cause the motor will spin under control doesn't mean it will spin optimally under control. [Big explanation summarized as follows:] There is a reason not to drive a three phase motor designed for interlinked phases with isolated phase architectures (ie stepper). But it will work, poorly. Gods of the internet forgive me for opening that can of worms on my first post in this forum via my mobile device.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234