Need Help! Problem with MX4660 Fault output on DB25 PIN #15

Thread: Problem with MX4660 Fault output on DB25 PIN #15

Default Problem with MX4660 Fault output on DB25 PIN #15

I have a MX4660 driver on my CNC that has been working well. I recently wanted to set up a circuit using its Fault output but I can not get it to work.
    I contacted Leadshine support, who informed me that the manual is incorrect where it states the Fault outputs a 5VDC signal, rather it acts like a NC to NO switch upon alarm.
    Using a multimeter I am getting 0.025VDC on PIN #15 (the DB25 Fault output) during normal operation, and 0.188VDC when I disable the drive using the Estop.
    This does not appear to be as expected given my discussions with Leadshine support.

I would appreciate it if forum members who are successfully using the DB25 PIN #15 Fault out put on their MX4660 driver please share how they have it wired, and secondly, how it is working (i.e., what happens upon a drive fault on this pin - does it output a voltage signal and if so what is it?).

Thank you,

Tom

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with MX4660 Fault output on DB25 PIN #15

the output type could be "dry contact". Means, active state is contact closed, inactive state - contact open. Check with multimeter for continuity.

Thank you for your reply and suggestion.
    I should have mentioned that I first did a continuity check with my multimeter. I found no continuity in either state of the driver. Still waiting to hear back again from support at Leadshine.
    On another forum, someone mentioned that:

"For CMOS / TTL outputs have an effective resistance of around 500? when conducting, if you are using a continuity test mode then this resistance would register as open circuit." (they were making an educated guess as to the type of output PIN 15 was)

I am not sure what other testing/trouble-shooting methods I should try.

Downloads
    Uploads

connect the output with a resistor value between 1Kohm and 10Kohm to the + 5 Volt and check the output again. It might be a open collector output.

Thank you for your reply and support. I connected 5VDC+ to a 5.7K resistor, then through an LED to the MX4660 Fault PIN 15.
    When the driver is in a normal state, the LED lights up and my voltmeter shows the full 5VDC+ going through the PIN 15 connection.
    When I press my Estop, the drive is put into a fault, and the LED goes out - voltage through the PIN 15 connection drops to about 0.08VDC.
    Would this confirm your suggestion that it might be an open collector output? I have since read about this and it is becoming 'somewhat' clearer.

My question now is how can I wire this to my controller.
    I have a Masso G3, and my goal is to have the MX4660 Fault used to indicate a motor fault on the Masso by assigning it to one of the Masso inputs.
    The Masso inputs are optically isolated and trigger with inputs from +5v to +24v
    I do not understand if/how this can be done. Also, I can not find details on the fault circuit, so am not sure what its input limits are with respect to max voltage or amperage.
    I appreciate any help you can provide. (I am still hoping/waiting for help from the Masso forums, as well as Leadshine support).
    Thank you,
    Tom

I believe I have it working thanks to your feedback.
    I started researching open collector outputs and saw references as well to NPN which appears to mean the same thing. I revisted the section in the Masso manual that describes 4 main types of sensors, and how to identify and connect them. The connection shown that best matched my testing results showed the use of a resistor - which I believe is what you were referring to.
    I connected +5V to a 5.7K resistor, and connected that to a twin terminal block. The other connections I then made to the input pin on my Masso controller, and the fault output pin of my MX4660 driver.
    In normal state the screen input shows LOW, and when I depress the Estop the signal shows HIGH - I have assigned this input to be a motor fault.

Thank you again for your support,

Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

That's very well done and thanks for letting us know that it's solved. This was what I was thinking of.
    you could see a Open collector output as a switch connected one side to the GND. The other side is your connector pin.
    When the switch is active, it connects your pin to GND, but as long as there is no limited supply from the + ( 5 V ) you won't see anything changing.
    The resistor limits the current to a safe level. Your 5.7K gives a max below 1 mA which is far within the safe area.
    When the output is open the resistor will pull up close to 5V
    when the output is closed, it will be close to 0V