Need Help! MX4660 shunt regulator option

Thread: MX4660 shunt regulator option

Default MX4660 shunt regulator option

I have an email in to Leadshine, but have not heard back yet.
    For those of you who might be familiar with this driver and the use of shunt regulators, I was hoping to get feedback on whether the model I am considering is appropriate.
    The driver runs 4 NEMA 23 3.5V 4.2A steppers which are powered by a 48V 12.5A PSU.
    I have a quote for an Advanced Motion Controls SRST70, which I have seen recommended by Leadshine in one of their support documents, but it is much more expensive (at least from their distributor here in Canada). I also like the one I found as it allows a range of clamping voltages to be set.
    I appreciate any insights that can be offered.
    Tom

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MX4660 shunt regulator option

How bad is the power in your area. A shunt regulator is a protection against over voltage.
    The MX4660 can handle input voltages from 20 to 60 Volt. Your power supply is 48 volt which is nice and safe within the limits.
    Another reason for a shunt regulator is to suppress the peaks back from the motors. My setup is working for at least 5 years without a shunt regulator and without blowing anything.
    If you are not sure, I would go for some extra capacitors on the output of your power supply one or two from about 5000uF and at least 60 Volt. and one small 100nF also at least 60 Volt
    Keep the wiring between the power supply and the MX4660 short and use good wires ( thick enough )
    Keep power wiring ( power supply input and output and motor wiring ) and signal wiring away from each other where possible.

Default Re: MX4660 shunt regulator option

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
    I have continued my CNC controller build since posting this. I decided to use a 2200uF 63V capacitor at the PSU output - my choice was based on cost, size, availability, and (my) perceived protection need.

My thinking was that:
    1. My power supply is well below the rated input voltages of my drivers - 20 - 60VDC for the MX4660, and 20 - 80VDC for the DM860I ( this for the new 4th rotary axis I recently added)
    2. The PSU and both drivers have some level of built in protection
    3. I have a relatively small CNC (Onefinity Woodworker) which will limit to some degree the levels of back EMF generated
    4. Leadshine started suggesting the use of shunt regulators when customers complained of electronics damage when they hit Estop on their CNCs. I imagine these larger heavier machines were capable of producing significant back EMF when their steppers were abruptly stopped - not my situation.

I have learned a lot over the last few months when researching best practices and building my controller, and at the time the shunt regulator seemed an appropriate and recommended precaution. At this point I am feeling more confident that the added capacitor is not needed. Especially when I consider the capabilities of my machine and how I will be using it - my hope is that the Feed Hold function should suffice in all but the most dire circumstances. It will free up a bit of space and simplify the circuit as well.

I appreciated your added recommendations regarding wiring. Based on my earlier reading, I am using 14AWG flexible silicone wiring for both my PSU input and output circuits, and have physically separated to the extent possible, the AC, DC, and signal wiring. All wiring, when appropriate, has proper shielding/grounding and ferrite cores.

Thank you again for your insights,

Tom