MX3660 with SainSmart Relay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MX3660 with SainSmart Relay

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MX3660 with SainSmart Relay

I have four output available on my MX3660 and wanted to take advantage, rather than deal with mechanical relays I decided to buy a SainSmart 8 channel unit (link below). I've managed to get this to work, sort of, but I'm not doing something correctly. Here's how I have it hooked up currently, perhaps somebody can get me going in the right direction. Suffice it to say, I am an amateur at this.

5v connected to relay board.
    5v running to Output 1-
    Lead from Output 1+ to input 1 on relay board
    Lead from Output 2+ to input 2 on relay board

The plan here is to use this for coolant (Output 1) and air blast (output 2). When I toggle coolant via my controller, the light I have connected to relay turns on and off about 80% of the time, but the other 20% it seems the relay is between states, so the light is on but kind of flickering. More troublesome is that Output 2 is changing states simultaneously with Output 1, meaning the relay 2 is switching with relay 1. My ports and pins are not set this way, so it would mean that my wiring obviously isn't proper.

I've tried connecting 5v+ to Output 1+, then running a lead from Output 1- to the relay input 1. I can't recall now, but either it didn't function or the results were the same.

Interestingly, the LEDs on the relay boards faintly glow on input 1 and 2 when in an off state, so some voltage is reach those inputs when it shouldn't be. Leading me to believe I need to add some resistors to the system. But I'm not experienced enough to know how that would be done.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by JerryGarcia; 09-09-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MX3660 with SainSmart Relay

So, two things.
    1. I looked at the documentation for those Solid State Relays and they are for switching an AC load.
    2. What is the device that you are connecting to this board? Air blast and Coolant. Are they AC solenoids?

Downloads
    Uploads

The air blast is a pneumatic solenoid.

The coolant is just a pump (.5A).

Both are AC.

Like I mentioned I have successfully turned things on and off, but I occasionally get stuck between states on the SSR's (i'm not able to get it to go below the threshold to turn it off at times), and curiously one command is operating both outputs on the MX3660 (i believe because they are on a common ground of some variety).

I'm considering buying some of the below SSR's as I think wiring would be more straight forward, but the idea of the relay board sucked me in, it's just so clean inside the enclosure. Setup seemed straightforward until I actually had to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2R62OSH2&psc=1

Last edited by JerryGarcia; 09-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I may be wrong here, but:

I have never used the MX3660 but the manual says that the 4 general purpose outputs are open collector. This indicates that the output can sink current from the + terminal (Collector) to the - terminal (Emitter). You have the + voltage connected to the - terminal. This would be backwards for an NPN transistor.

Normally you would connect it up like this:
    MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-npn-oc-output-jpg

The - output connected to ground will sink the current required to bring the + output low when the output is active. The resistor will pull the + output high when the output is not active. You can change the outputs active state to high or low in the configuration.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-npn-oc-output-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the drawing.

I think have the appropriate resistors at home to give this a shot tonight. I will report back.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only problem you may have is the state of the output when you power the system up. If the MX3660 lets the output float at startup, the resistor will pull the input to the relay up, thus activating the solenoid. Then as soon as you activate Mach, or whatever CAM you are using, the output will go to the state you have defined there.

This is less than optimal if it works that way. However we can figure a solution if it does.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thinking about it some more, you can connect it like this. Active High outputs with startup state of off, hopefully.

MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-npn-oc-output-active-high-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-npn-oc-output-active-high-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That's how I connected it the first time I set it up. It makes perfect sense to me, but I couldn't get it to work. I'll try again though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your first post says that you have +5v connected to the - output. This has +5v connected to the + output.

Downloads
    Uploads

I also said "I've tried connecting 5v+ to Output 1+, then running a lead from Output 1- to the relay input 1. I can't recall now, but either it didn't function or the results were the same."

I'm fairly positive this did not function, but I will verify.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGarcia View Post
    I also said "I've tried connecting 5v+ to Output 1+, then running a lead from Output 1- to the relay input 1. I can't recall now, but either it didn't function or the results were the same."

I'm fairly positive this did not function, but I will verify.
    The MX3660 Ou1..Out4 appear to come from Darlington type Optocouplers so may have too much voltage
    drop (as much as 1.5V) to run 5V SSRs reliably. You might need 6-7V on the + pin to guarantee operation

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, this is getting frustrating. I read one document that says one thing and another that says something else. So, now I dont know what to believe.

What you get with Chinese hardware.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you connect it this way

the SSR is switched on when the MX3660 output NPN transistor switches on

MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-npn-oc-output-jpg

John

PS
    connection to a SSR-40

MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-npn-oc-output-ssr-jpg

Last edited by john-100; 09-09-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add 2nd diagram

Downloads
    Uploads

This diagram in their hardware manual version 1.2 shows both of my above connection methods. Output 3 and 4 are driving relays as active low devices and output 1 and 2 are driven as active high devices.

Downloads
    Uploads

That achieved the same results as connecting V+ to Output 1-, and linking Output 1+ to Input 1.

Output 1 and 2 turn on simultaneously, despite me having Output 2 turned off in ports and pins. I've turned off all the other outputs just to be sure I've not got something crossed up in ports and pins.

If I connect only Output 1, I get stuck between states occasionally, resulting in a flickering light that's connected to the relay. This condition is reduced by connecting the wires for Output 2, but nothing is connected to the relay on output 2. The LED's on relay board are lit faintly all the time, they get bright solid when activated, but they are in the middle when I'm stuck between states. I can try to grab a video if that helps. I'll note, I don't even have 5v+ connected to Output 2+, only a lead from Output 2- to Input 2, yet Input 2 continues to work.

I'm wondering if my MX3660 isn't damaged in some way?

Downloads
    Uploads

Just for fun I moved my wire (the one that connects to the relay input) from Output 2- over to Output 3-. Same result, the LED on the relay board lights faintly before activating the port/pin. When activating the port/pin for Output 1, sure enough, Output 3 lights the LED on the relay board.

It seems the 5v applied at Output1+ carries down through all the outputs. I've not connected them externally.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, John-100, I came across a previous post where you commented heavily regarding the MX3660 and I basically followed your guides there. This was from a few years ago. That's where I got the idea to buy the Tinawood units, but also where I decided to wire this unit basically as you and maxspongbob have suggested. Seems like I could have avoided this issue had I just bought those Tinawood units.

That said, I appreciate everybody's input on this! It means a lot to have a community of willing participants for this!

Downloads
    Uploads

the MX3660 manual has very little details but the MX4660 manual has a diagram with limited details with some errors !

The 1K resistor shown in series with the transistor collector is too high a resistance !
    if the board is as shown with no protection from reverse polarity connection of the outputs
    the opto-isolator could easily be damaged

MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-mx3660-output-circuit-jpg

John

Last edited by john-100; 09-10-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add ref to reverse polarity connection

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I'll give it a shot with something like .7k, maybe .5k.

Downloads
    Uploads

is this the sainsmart 8x SSR relay board you are using ?

MX3660 with SainSmart Relay-sainsmart-8x-ssr-jpg

I have found a readable PDF circuit diagram !

8 solid relay.pdf

which resistor are you thinking of changing or adding ?

the 1K resistor I am questioning is inside of the MX3660

its OK when your using a relay with a transistor amplifier / switch - like the SainSmart Relay board

but could be a problem if you directly connect a relay coil to the MX3660 output

depending on the supply voltage and coil resistance

only a week ago

I worked on a AXBB that had a faulty FET

AXBB charge pump fault - Page 4

not having a AXBB it was an iterative process in remotely finding the faulty component - photo in post 22 being the key

so the MX3660 is not the only stepper driver / breakout board that can have a problem

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast