Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

I am trying to control a small 12vdc relay via a digital output to control a SPDT logic switch. The relay's nominal power is 360 mW. I have tried wiring per manual with no success. To solve my problem, I need to understand what is going on between the + and - digital output terminals. When the pin is high or low, I don't measure any voltage across the leads, nor any continuity? Any helpful explanation or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

Tom..
    Connect "+12vdc out" to "Output 1+"
    Connect Positive side of relay coil to "Output 1-"
    Connect Negative side of relay coil to "GND"

If using >12vdc from another source, use appropriate current liming resistors.

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Gary,
    How about if the relay using 24 DC ? or 220 VAC ? How to wire ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Tom...
    The info is shown pretty clearly in the manual. Up to 24vdc with a resistor. 220vac, no, use the relay for that

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-relay-schematic-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-relay-schematic-png  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The image I posted shows the two configurations I've tried with no success. Using islaww's method, I measure 11.8v between GND and Output 1- and 10.9v between GND and Output 1+. No change in measurements with pin 17 hi or low.

Using the configuration described on page 16, last paragraph of the manual, I measure 1.25v between Output 1+ and GND with no voltage change when Pin 17 hi or Lo.

I have also tried using other Output terminal pairs with no success. Any more suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tomboardman View Post
    The image I posted shows the two configurations I've tried with no success. Using islaww's method, I measure 11.8v between GND and Output 1- and 10.9v between GND and Output 1+. No change in measurements with pin 17 hi or low.

Using the configuration described on page 16, last paragraph of the manual, I measure 1.25v between Output 1+ and GND with no voltage change when Pin 17 hi or Lo.

I have also tried using other Output terminal pairs with no success. Any more suggestions?

I'm having the exact same issue. Did you ever solve it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, I finally gave up. So, I continue to manually switch my spindle to run mode until I, some day, resolve the issue. Let me know if you ever find an answer!

Downloads
    Uploads

I do a bunch of these. The VFD will require a mechanical relay to trigger FWD rotation. I'm using a 24vdc relay and small power supply to do this. Wired as follows:

24v+ to Output1+
    24v- to relay coil negative (A2)
    Output 1 - to relay coil positive (A1)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply islaww.

That is how I believe I have it connected. I'm using the SainSmart 4 channel relay board. In1 (5v from relay) to Output+, Output- to ground.

Here is my understanding of how it works: When the opto is on it should complete the circuit and activate the relay and when the opto is off it breaks the circuit and the relay is off.

My issue is that the output appear to always be ON. The only way I can get the relay to be off is by disconnecting the DB25 connector from the leadshine.

Note: I am using a Mesa 7i92M as my motion controller from Linuxcnc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry...
    I am not familiar with those components, so I cant help there. The output + and- terminals are a simple ttl switch. They should switch 3-32vdc as long as the polarity is correct.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Re: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

I solved my issue last night. For me it was an issue with the actual output signal from the Mesa 7i92 controller, not the Leadshine.

I was using only the following hal command assuming it would set that GPIO to an output:
    net signal-name => hm2_7i92.0.gpio.000.out

I needed to add the follow so the GPIO is treated as an output. The default appears to be an input:
    setp hm2_7i92.0.gpio.000.is_output true

My only remaining issue is the Mesa appears to initially start high (or true) so when I first power up the mesa and leadshine the relay will activate. Once I start Linuxcnc the mesa .is_output is read and the relay turns off. After that the relay control works as expected. I am using this relay for spindle control so if I power the spindle VFD before starting Linuxcnc the spindle would start spinning.

Any ideas to fix this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    Sorry...
    I am not familiar with those components, so I cant help there. The output + and- terminals are a simple ttl switch. They should switch 3-32vdc as long as the polarity is correct.
    "The output + and- terminals are a simple ttl switch". I am trying to connect a laser engraver to an existing CNC machine. It takes external 12vdc 6A to drive the fans and power the laser. The laser also has a single TTL+ input wire to control on/off. I have a 4 port relay (HL-54S) that I can use. I have an ESS with both ports connected to the MX4660. Output #5 is Port 2, Pin 17. The plan is to use Mist M7/M9 to control laser on/off. I'm not sure how to get 5vdc to the single TTL wire. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

having a quick look at the MX4660 manual the digital output is the NPN transistor in an opto-isolator in series with a 1K resistor

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-mx4660-digital-outputs-jpg

as the 1K resistor will limit the possible current when the digital output switches on
    the MX4660 will only be able to directly switch a small relay on & off

if you connect a 5V relay that has a 200 ohm coil
    you will need to use a 28V to 30V supply

1/6 of the supply will be across the 200 ohm coil and
    5/6 of the supply will be dropped across the 1K resistor inside the MX4660

the easy solution is to use a relay with a transistor driver

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, John-100. I have studied these pictures for hours. I have already set up my spindle with RPM control, all the limit switches, and the auto zero. I am at lost on how to control the laser light using the M11/M10 commands using an MX4660. The 12vdc connection is simple. How do I connect and test the M11P3 command? I don't want to blow up the MX4660. The spindle on/off is using Output#1 + & -. The laser on/off uses a single wire TTL+ signal. So how can I connect it to the MX4660 and switch it on/off? Thanks for any ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads

which laser & power supply are you using ?

if the laser has a TTL on off control

may be a NPN transistor or N channel FET can be used to convert the MX4660 digital output

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-mx4660-digital-output-ttl-jpg

John

Downloads
    Uploads

The laser is an 8 W from endurancelasers.com. The power supply will be independent and operate at 12vdc 5A or so. The laser has a TTL on-off control. Making that work with the MX4660 is the problem. It is increasingly oblivious I will need a independent laser control that takes in 12vdc and outputs a TTL signal. I am more software than hardware and eBay has a lot of junk. Can you recommend a laser controller solution I can simply buy that will work? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you buy endurance, they will give you a laser controller ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe it's the definition of a controller. It has a 'controller'. If you feed it the 12vdc it will work. The laser comes on, the fans run, and the beam hits the wall. It also has a TTL input to control the laser beam on/off. With the PWM the intentisy can also be control. I just need some way to control the laser beam using Mach3->ESS -> MX4660. One solution would be to create another profile called 'laser' and change the spindle properties to control the laser. Then just switch profiles as needed. I was trying to avoid that. I have done so much research that I may be confusing terms. So, the laser has a 12vdc input for power and a TTL input for laser control. I guess it does have a controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had a quick look at the arduino ULN2003 boards used to control stepper motors

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-uln2003-board-jpg

this is how you can use one to connect the MX4660 digital output to your Laser
    using a ULN2003 board connected to a 5V supply that also powers the MX4660 digital output circuit

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-mx4660-digital-output-ttl-using-uln2003-board

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast