Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post
    Sorry...
    I am not familiar with those components, so I cant help there. The output + and- terminals are a simple ttl switch. They should switch 3-32vdc as long as the polarity is correct.
    "The output + and- terminals are a simple ttl switch". I am trying to connect a laser engraver to an existing CNC machine. It takes external 12vdc 6A to drive the fans and power the laser. The laser also has a single TTL+ input wire to control on/off. I have a 4 port relay (HL-54S) that I can use. I have an ESS with both ports connected to the MX4660. Output #5 is Port 2, Pin 17. The plan is to use Mist M7/M9 to control laser on/off. I'm not sure how to get 5vdc to the single TTL wire. Thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

having a quick look at the MX4660 manual the digital output is the NPN transistor in an opto-isolator in series with a 1K resistor

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-mx4660-digital-outputs-jpg

as the 1K resistor will limit the possible current when the digital output switches on
    the MX4660 will only be able to directly switch a small relay on & off

if you connect a 5V relay that has a 200 ohm coil
    you will need to use a 28V to 30V supply

1/6 of the supply will be across the 200 ohm coil and
    5/6 of the supply will be dropped across the 1K resistor inside the MX4660

the easy solution is to use a relay with a transistor driver

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, John-100. I have studied these pictures for hours. I have already set up my spindle with RPM control, all the limit switches, and the auto zero. I am at lost on how to control the laser light using the M11/M10 commands using an MX4660. The 12vdc connection is simple. How do I connect and test the M11P3 command? I don't want to blow up the MX4660. The spindle on/off is using Output#1 + & -. The laser on/off uses a single wire TTL+ signal. So how can I connect it to the MX4660 and switch it on/off? Thanks for any ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads

which laser & power supply are you using ?

if the laser has a TTL on off control

may be a NPN transistor or N channel FET can be used to convert the MX4660 digital output

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-mx4660-digital-output-ttl-jpg

John

Downloads
    Uploads

The laser is an 8 W from endurancelasers.com. The power supply will be independent and operate at 12vdc 5A or so. The laser has a TTL on-off control. Making that work with the MX4660 is the problem. It is increasingly oblivious I will need a independent laser control that takes in 12vdc and outputs a TTL signal. I am more software than hardware and eBay has a lot of junk. Can you recommend a laser controller solution I can simply buy that will work? Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you buy endurance, they will give you a laser controller ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe it's the definition of a controller. It has a 'controller'. If you feed it the 12vdc it will work. The laser comes on, the fans run, and the beam hits the wall. It also has a TTL input to control the laser beam on/off. With the PWM the intentisy can also be control. I just need some way to control the laser beam using Mach3->ESS -> MX4660. One solution would be to create another profile called 'laser' and change the spindle properties to control the laser. Then just switch profiles as needed. I was trying to avoid that. I have done so much research that I may be confusing terms. So, the laser has a 12vdc input for power and a TTL input for laser control. I guess it does have a controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had a quick look at the arduino ULN2003 boards used to control stepper motors

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-uln2003-board-jpg

this is how you can use one to connect the MX4660 digital output to your Laser
    using a ULN2003 board connected to a 5V supply that also powers the MX4660 digital output circuit

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-mx4660-digital-output-ttl-using-uln2003-board

John

Downloads
    Uploads

John-100, this is very helpful. When asked about a "controller" earlier this was what I was talking about. The installation manual was rather lean in the details. Here is the link to how to control the laser using PMW.

CNC Laser Build Log

The PWM connects to Output #1 to the VFD to control spindle speed in some automagic way. The MX4660 outputs on Output #1 & #2 a 12vdc with a + and - lead and PWM can be assigned to either Output. I understand the laser TTL is a high of 5 VDC and a low at 0 VDC. Other research on the same site suggests using one of their "controller' to manage the laser. Hence my confusing surrounding a "controller".

I looked up the arduino ULN2003 board on eBay. These are cheap. The one I am looking at that most closely matches your diagram is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-Stepp...sAAOSwA3dYNkB-

Is this what you had in mind? How would the laser intensity be controlled? Since the laser has a single TTL+ wire, would the TTL- just be attached to the case?

Thank you very much for taking the time to research and help me. It is very appreciated.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

what laser and power supply are you using

a tube and HT power supply like this -
    Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-laser-power-supply-ttl-control-jpg

or LED laser & low voltage power supply with PWM control ?

that is ULN2003 is the ready made board I looked at

I will have to study the PIC PWM control

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you john-100. The laser is the Endurance.com 8w laser. The power supply is a 12DCV 6A I ordered from eBay. It showed up today, but unfortunately, it was a 19DCV 3.3A power supply. So it went back and now waiting again for the proper one. I ordered the ULN2003 mentioned above. It will be here on Saturday. Gives me a couple of days to catch up on other projects. Thank you so much for your help.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess your laser will be something like this -

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-8w-laser-jpg

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast