Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?

John-100, this is very helpful. When asked about a "controller" earlier this was what I was talking about. The installation manual was rather lean in the details. Here is the link to how to control the laser using PMW.

CNC Laser Build Log

The PWM connects to Output #1 to the VFD to control spindle speed in some automagic way. The MX4660 outputs on Output #1 & #2 a 12vdc with a + and - lead and PWM can be assigned to either Output. I understand the laser TTL is a high of 5 VDC and a low at 0 VDC. Other research on the same site suggests using one of their "controller' to manage the laser. Hence my confusing surrounding a "controller".

I looked up the arduino ULN2003 board on eBay. These are cheap. The one I am looking at that most closely matches your diagram is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-Stepp...sAAOSwA3dYNkB-

Is this what you had in mind? How would the laser intensity be controlled? Since the laser has a single TTL+ wire, would the TTL- just be attached to the case?

Thank you very much for taking the time to research and help me. It is very appreciated.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

what laser and power supply are you using

a tube and HT power supply like this -
    Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-laser-power-supply-ttl-control-jpg

or LED laser & low voltage power supply with PWM control ?

that is ULN2003 is the ready made board I looked at

I will have to study the PIC PWM control

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you john-100. The laser is the Endurance.com 8w laser. The power supply is a 12DCV 6A I ordered from eBay. It showed up today, but unfortunately, it was a 19DCV 3.3A power supply. So it went back and now waiting again for the proper one. I ordered the ULN2003 mentioned above. It will be here on Saturday. Gives me a couple of days to catch up on other projects. Thank you so much for your help.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess your laser will be something like this -

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-8w-laser-jpg

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John, Pretty much. I have been researching big time. Here is one site will question and answers are found Endurance lasers. We produce and sell powerful and efficient diode lasers (solid state). Useful attachment to any 3D printer or CNC machine. And I also found this site. Endurance lasers. We produce and sell powerful and efficient diode lasers (solid state). Useful attachment to any 3D printer or CNC machine. This site describes using a "controller" much like you described. I also found out the 5dcv for the TTL+ can also be 12dcv. The 12DCV 5A powers the fans and laser. The TTL+ can be connected to the PWM output and attach that to the TTL+ line for intensity control. It described has being the spindle. Hopefully, the power supply will be here soon and I can try it out. Thank you for your help and interest.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I have had a look at the web links

taken from the 1st link

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-nano-board-jpg

it looks like the Arduino Nano PWM output goes to an interface to drive a single NPN transistor TTL interface
    or 3 paralleled NPN transistors to control a Laser with just the 2 power connections

given the option I would use TTL output to control a 3 wire Laser

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-opto-isolator-circuit-nano-board-jpg
    I'm not sure how well it will work as I would not expect the 3 individual paralleled transistors to equally share the Laser current
    I would of expected each transistor to have a low value resistor in series with the emitter

{Note - the darling transistors inside a ULN 200x or ULN280x are closely matched & can be paralleled as specified in the data sheet }

also the 10K potentiometer wiring looks odd

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-opto-isolator-circuit-nano-board-jpg

from the second link
    this circuit using a FET looks easier to construct

Leadshine MX4660: How does a pair of digitial outputs work?-opto-isolator-fet-jpg

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi did you ever get the laswer to turn on and off with the MX4660; I'm in the same boat and info seems to be sparce

Downloads
    Uploads

No. It is almost impossible to do without disabling, aka using the spindle PWM circuit. The MX 4660 doesn't support two independent PWM circuits. The TTL+ line, however, can be easily managed using the 3rd port on the ESS with the M7/M9 commands. Ultimately, the TTL+ circuit proved to be defective as it it would not turn off. +5vdc or 0vdc made no difference. If connected, it would turn on the laser. I returned the laser to Endurance and now trying to get my money refunded.

The idea was to use the spindle and laser together. User laser to engrave some test or objects and the spindle to cut them out. Doing a major machine restructure on every project just wasn't acceptable.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12