thermal grease for mirrors?

Thread: thermal grease for mirrors?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default thermal grease for mirrors?

Hello- I'm working on a Strippit 3015L laser and just replaced and realigned the mirrors. Everything is working great, but I found a box of old mirrors that appeared to have grease on the back. I've consulted the manual and find no mention of this. MY QUESTION: do these reflectors need thermal grease on the back to help the fluid based chiller and keep them from getting too hot? Many thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: thermal grease for mirrors?

No mirrors don't get hot when the beam reflects 100%. Grease might be used to keep the mirror tight. I wouldn't do that over fear of getting grease on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply.. There is a chiller that feeds through the back plates holding in all the mirrors that is designed to keep the mirrors at 77* f. I wouldn't think that would be required if they didn't heat up some. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe they do change temp for some reason. Not sure. If you left a mirror out in bright sun would it get hotter then the air?
    I think dragging cooling lines around when cutting could do more harm then good.
    Are you sure they aren't for keeping smoke off the mirrors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The coolant lines are an integrated part of the LVD/Strippit 3015L laser. They actually run through the hardware that holds the mirrors in place from the back. Set at 77*, it may be to make sure no surface condensation collects on the mirrors, at least if heat is not the issue.
    Really, the only time we've had trouble with the mirrors burning up is when they weren't kept clean and the laser hit dust. It's a 3000w laser that we use to cut stainless sheets up to 1/4 inch. The mirrors are 3 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch thick, mostly solid copper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi,*
    you definitely* need some mirror cooling... since mirrors cannot be 100%... (0,5% means 15W on 3kW laser)

depending on the mirrors mount, you may have several way to have good thermal contact... indium foil, thermal grease but also silver based glue or other thermal glue.

standard electronic grease is not recommended unless your mounts have some kind of sealing to limit grease outgassing
    I typically use thermal glue, or Hala phase change thermal paste.

cheers*
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello
    Normally LVD optics in the external path need no conduction paste we never use on services. Only time we apply vac grease on backs of silicone mirrors inside the laser source cavity.