SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube

Thread: SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube

Hello Guys!

My first thread and question for the group! I thought I would share and document my upgrade with the rest of the community, so we can have a reference and have the ability to ask a couple questions along the way. I know there is a good discussion about this on Lens Digital Blog and I bought Len's tube mounts for this upgrade last year.

I currently have the SH-G350 50W laser cutter engraver from Ebay and until this week has been performing satisfactory. Early this week, my 50W tube (I know not a true 50W tube!) finally kicked the bucket. I had planned on upgrading to the 60W tube once the the old tube failed, so I ordered the new PS and tube from Light Object (LO) and should have everything by the end of the week, so I can get back up and running.

Everything seems pretty straight forward, but my old power supply, I believe it is a Cloudray MYJG-40W, has a different pin setup. I will confirm PS model number at lunch. It has a four, six, four plug configuration. The new LO PS has a three and six pin connector. This would be easy if my old power supply matched the new one, but I am not that fortunate!

I have a Ruida RDC6442G Controller and downloaded the schematic for the Rudia website and uploaded that schematic as well.

I spent yesterday tracing the wires from the old power supply, so I have a good understanding where they go and trying to understand where the wires will go into the new PS. I think I have a good handle on the three pin wiring, but have a question on the new six pin wiring.
    I believe my current setup uses the controller for water protect vs the PS, similar to the RDC6442G wiring schematic attached. Want to confirm with the group that I would connect the new PS like the controller schematic? According to the schematic I will use L-on 1 CH5 (Pin 2) to Trigger Low (TL) turning the laser on and off and LPWM1 CH5 (Pin 3) to the Input (IN) on the PS to control the power output of the laser.

I guess my main question comes with the water protect circuit, but looking for advice for all connections. I have attached the first three pictures and would like to get feedback from the group, maybe a little confirmation that I am understanding this correct. I just don't want to mess anything up and I hope my pictures help.

I did search before posting, but did not see anything in depth about this, so I am a newbie and don't beat me up too bad! Thanks and I look forward to sharing the upgrade. Thanks and talk soon.

Jason

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-old-ps-rdc6442g-connections-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-old-ps-wiring-schematic-myjg40w-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-rdc6442g-controller-diagram-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube

Correction, my current power supply is a Cloudray MYJG50W 50W power supply, I checked it at lunch. I will post some pictures once I get started with the upgrade. Thanks and if there is any input on wiring, please let me know. Thanks.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spookyeng View Post
    Correction, my current power supply is a Cloudray MYJG50W 50W power supply, I checked it at lunch. I will post some pictures once I get started with the upgrade. Thanks and if there is any input on wiring, please let me know. Thanks.

Jason
    Hey, i have a dead psu in my machine that has the same old psu yours had. When upgrading to a psu with 3 pins vs 4 pins, where did you place the wire that was connected to the L- pin on the 4 pin psu? If theres no L- pin on the new psu?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dustmite View Post
    Hey, i have a dead psu in my machine that has the same old psu yours had. When upgrading to a psu with 3 pins vs 4 pins, where did you place the wire that was connected to the L- pin on the 4 pin psu? If theres no L- pin on the new psu?
    Hello,

I have just completed the upgrade and the machine is running excellent, I was in the process of getting all my notes together to write the post, so good timing! The L- pin on the old four pin connector will be connected to to the current feedback on the new Power Supply. Mine was a white wire coming from the back of the new power supply. I have an analog current meter, so mine is wired like the scan attached. I also completed the new wiring diagram and that is attached as well. Once the machine was back up an running, I cut the extension enclosed and installed that this morning.

Before the upgrade, I was cutting at 12mm/s at 18mA for 1/8" birch ply. Now I am cutting at 25mm/s @ 16mA. This was very abbreviated, so if you have any more question, please feel free to ask!! Talk soon.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-laser-tube-test-connection-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-rdc6442g-controller-diagram-new-psu-wiring-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-img_5248-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know why the picture are sideways in the reply post and I tried to re-post them, However, they are still sideways. I am sorry for that. If you would like me to send them to you. Please send me your email, I have no idea why they are sideways, they are normal on my computer. Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-img_2415-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-img_2420-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-img_2426-jpg  
    Last edited by Spookyeng; 05-20-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jason, thanks for the help. I think ill be buying the 40w-60w psu from lightobject. Just to be ready for the new tube upgrade when mine dies. Which psu did you buy?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jason, thanks for the help. I think ill be buying the 40w-60w psu from lightobject. Just to be ready for the new tube upgrade when mine dies. Which psu did you buy?
    I bought the 60W 110AC Power Supply. That is the only 60W PS they offer, except for the 220AC version. Since you are going with the power supply first, I used 4-40 1" standoffs from McMaster Carr for mounting the new PS and bolted it directly to the metal wall of the cabinet. Here are a couple pictures. Thanks.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-img_5246-jpg   SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-img_5247-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So 1 other thing, like yours i too have a jumper between "p" and "g", but my jumper goes from p down to the second g. Shouldnt matter right?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So 1 other thing, like yours i too have a jumper between "p" and "g", but my jumper goes from p down to the second g. Shouldnt matter right?
    '
    Sorry for the delay, been pretty busy over the last couple of days. Do you have a picture? I know you have to keep the 3 pin PS ground separate from the ground from the controller to the power supply. Thanks.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Spookyeng View Post
    '
    Sorry for the delay, been pretty busy over the last couple of days. Do you have a picture? I know you have to keep the 3 pin PS ground separate from the ground from the controller to the power supply. Thanks.

Jason
    Sorry for my delay, busy also. My psu comes tomorrow. Heres a pic showing my current wiring, notice the jumper going to the second ground rather than the first like yours.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH-G350 Upgrade to 60W Power Supply and SP Tube-20180528_143659-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The other yellow wire is also in the ground pin.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello
    I have a problem if I put the jumper gnd wp remains the red light of the power supply turned on from the panel turns the test also from the power supply if I remove the jumper the red light turns off but from the panel does not test instead of the power supply works what can be Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I have just upgraded my 50w to a 60w laser tube and power supply but when I turn it on the laser tube powers on and stays on help please