Methods for sensing coolant flow

Thread: Methods for sensing coolant flow

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Methods for sensing coolant flow

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what I want to use to act as an interlock in the event the coolant flow is too low or non-existent. But would also like a flow rate readout of some type.

Options I've explored so far:
    1. Paddle style flow switch. No indication of flow. Just on/off
    2. Piston style flow switch. Very cheap but from what I can see may be prone to getting stuck open if there's any debri. Again, no indication of flow, just on or off
    3. Flow meter. Can't find a sensibly priced option that has an alarm output for low flow.
    4. Arduino base, linked to flow sensor. With alarm output. Most configurable option. Need to look into this further, but seems overkill for what I want

What is everyone else using?

Cheers

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Methods for sensing coolant flow

Get a switch like this on eBay. They have a spring inside that causes too much back pressure so just remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that Dean, kinda hoping for a solution that will display the flow rate, as well as trigger a low flow alarm. I might be better off with 2 devices, one for the interlock and one just to display flow. Still haven't settled on it though. No hurry as I haven't even built the rest of the laser yet lol

Downloads
    Uploads

I replaced all this with CW-3000 then CW-5200. These systems have much stronger flow and includes a low water flow alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm building my own chiller and this is the last piece of the puzzle. I've decided to use an Arduino with LCD shield and flow sensor. Not only is it the cheapest option I could find that achieves what I want, but I've been wanting to experiment with an Arduino for a while anyway. It will fill in the time while waiting for shipping of other laser bits n bobs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use these type of visual indicators: one on the loop through the laser tube, and one on the loop from my chiller to the storage tank. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flow-Scout-...4AAOSwxYxU0ziB Several vendors and styles available for not a lot of money on ebay. Amazon may have them also.