I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!

Thread: I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!

I've put a lot of work into this machine but the controller and software are just crap. It would stop engraving in the middle of work for no good reason and what's going on with MOSHI DRAW - I could not figure out how to use this crappy software!

I want something that will work as should and will enable usage of normal software.

I've seen several options on eBay:
    New DSP CO2 Laser Cutter ENGRAVER Machine LCD Motion Controller System PH3 | eBay
    CO2 Laser Engraving Cutter DSP Motion Control System PH3 0 | eBay

Any suggestions from someone who has experience with any of these or similar?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I yanked my moshidraw board a week after I started using it. Took me 3 tries to find a board I liked. Arduino mega 2560 + ramps 1.4 board. I use inkscape 0.91 for generating my code using turnkeylaser extension. I upload the code using interface. And I use the turnkey recommended marlin firmware for the arduino. The MKS board is an arduino and ramps 1.4 together with some extra channels. I use an air assist nozzle with a select comfort bed air pump I modded. It's switched on by the ramps board. I do cuts of 1/4" plywood, engrave granite, so vector and raster using this setup.

Look for my post earlier this week on software, I uploaded my modded turnkey inkscape extension.

I had a engraving job running on a 85mm x 150mm granite sewing weight, it's a 8 hour job... yes the 40w is not powerful enough, but it'll get the job done eventually.

All told I have maybe $100.00 in my upgrade.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!

Quote Originally Posted by Cromaglious View Post
    I yanked my moshidraw board a week after I started using it. Took me 3 tries to find a board I liked. Arduino mega 2560 + ramps 1.4 board. I use inkscape 0.91 for generating my code using turnkeylaser extension. I upload the code using interface. And I use the turnkey recommended marlin firmware for the arduino. The MKS board is an arduino and ramps 1.4 together with some extra channels. I use an air assist nozzle with a select comfort bed air pump I modded. It's switched on by the ramps board. I do cuts of 1/4" plywood, engrave granite, so vector and raster using this setup.

Look for my post earlier this week on software, I uploaded my modded turnkey inkscape extension.

I had a engraving job running on a 85mm x 150mm granite sewing weight, it's a 8 hour job... yes the 40w is not powerful enough, but it'll get the job done eventually.

All told I have maybe $100.00 in my upgrade.

So you are using something similar to this one?
    MKS BASEV1 2 3D Printer Controller Board for RAMPS1 4 Arduino 2560 Remix Board | eBay

And, in addition, it will require two of these?
    Geeetech Stepper Driver A4988 with Heatsink Sticker for Ramps Prusa i3 GT2560 | eBay

Relay board:
    1 2 4 8 Channel 5V Relay Module Board for Arduino Pic AVR MCU DSP Arm | eBay

This is in case I'm only running the X,Y stepper motors and nothing else.
    What else?

Last edited by slow_rider; 05-26-2016 at 03:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slow_rider View Post
    So you are using something similar to this one?
    MKS BASEV1 2 3D Printer Controller Board for RAMPS1 4 Arduino 2560 Remix Board | eBay

And, in addition, it will require two of these?
    Geeetech Stepper Driver A4988 with Heatsink Sticker for Ramps Prusa i3 GT2560 | eBay

This is in case I'm only running the X,Y stepper motors and nothing else.
    What else?
    Yeppers, you also need a 12 supply for the leds in side the lid and power to trip relays, I had a 9 outlet relay controlled strip (American Dj supply - left over from DJ days) ONLY USING 3 RELAYS AND THE ALWAYS ON outlet for the k40 itself. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Get an extra 50k ohm 50w resister (laser ballast) I'll get link tomorrow to you, cutting grid, removed the stock air horn for exhaust fan, added LCD 64x128 graphic. Gives you control at laser. That about it.

Robi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would highly appreciate it!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a google K40 group that you'll find a lot of info about these lasers and controller upgrades. Folks seem to prefer the new smoothie boards because of the memory and processor speed and you can get reasonably priced China clones now. With them folks are both engraving and cutting with success.
    Other than that a DSP controller is great, but they are pricey. They are available at light object with software and info.

Last edited by coherent; 05-26-2016 at 04:34 PM. Reason: said PWM... meant DSP controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the pictures...I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_104756-jpg
    The RAMPS 1.4 and Arduino Mega 2560
    I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_105115-jpg

The MKS board which is going into the other K40
    I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_105233-jpg

My stock K40 still with moshidraw with the missing ballast resistor I used in the modded one to replace the bad on.
    I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_105815-jpg
    and the ballast resistors I got 60K 100W which seem to have a high enough voltage rating.
    here's a 50K 100W 50K Ohm Screw Tap Mounted Aluminum Housed Wirewound Resistors 2 Pcs | eBay
    $10
    I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_113615-jpg

I haven't made a z stage for my cutter yet.. just using spacers to get the right Z height.

and my 12v white LED's on the lid.
    I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_104854-jpg

Robi

Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking at the smoothie as well... Almost pulled the trigger and got it. My setup to upgrade the K40 was less than a price of a smoothie.

Arduino + ramps 1.4 or MKS, Graphic LCD + SD reader + buzzer + encoder/switch, grid, hose. Then the free stuff I had laying around: air assist pump, thing-i-verse nozzle, DJ relay outlets, 12v supply, LED's were leftovers from something else.

Robi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for the pics!
    I do have one question though - how come my laser cutter does not have a huge resistor like that (I guess that is for current limiting?)

On a side note. I have a board that is connected to a water flow meter. If the water stops circulating it starts buzzing and can also send back a logic signal to indicate an error. Is that something that people might be interested seeing supported by software?

Downloads
    Uploads

Water flow is supported in the software, I just don't have the flow sensor on this machine. and between this post and my last post I cracked the first mirror off the tub. so now my laser is down until I can either switch mirrors off the unconverted one and order new ones, which will be wednesday (the 1st -- PAYDAY!) The ballast resistor depends on the LASER PS and the maker... the stock one is a huge clay wire wound resister

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_105931-jpg   I want to upgrade my K40 laser cutter controller!-20160526_105931-jpg  
    Last edited by Cromaglious; 05-26-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: picture was upside down
    Robi

Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking at the smoothie as well... Almost pulled the trigger and got it. My setup to upgrade the K40 was less than a price of a smoothie.
    They were hard to find for a while and double the price of a Arduino/Ramps setup. Better prices and availability now and it's a faster, more powerful and is well supported (some other controller options are no longer getting support/updates for the laser cutters). Now that the ebay clones are out there it's an even cheaper option. I don't personally have a smoothie in mine now, but when/if I upgrade I'll likely go that route.

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw one on ebay for $57, it's gonna have to wait a bit. just spent $30 on mirrors, couldn't tell what size without tearing things apart.. So I got 20mm and 25mm. Now I have to figure out how to clean the emitter on the laser tube.

Robi

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got a MKS SBase, and I had it running in a K40... I really suggest using a real smoothieboard. I'm saving up for mine now.

Robi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got a MKS SBase, and I had it running in a K40... I really suggest using a real smoothieboard. I'm saving up for mine now.
    What issues did you have with the MKS SBase?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys. I just received my k40 and sure backup everything you say about the software. I haven't had it long enough to judge much about operational problems, but the flow is horribly convoluted. I'm ordering a MKS SBase ASAP. After 3 years of building 3d printers and progressively larger CNC routers, I think I can handle that part, but don't know if there's anything I need to be aware of with controlling the tube itself and what software to check out.

I'm really not trying to hijack the thread guys, just tying to follow what you are talking about.

Thanks, Larry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cohesion 3d has a fix for that...

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out Lightburn - it's a fantastic software package written by a guy that specifically supports Chiense laser cutter types, including the K40. I promise you it will make the world of difference to your overall experience using a Chinese laser.

Last edited by GerryG; 12-03-2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling