Question 60 Watt CO2 Laser Deck

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 60 Watt CO2 Laser Deck

mine has an aluminum plate and a honey comb piece on top of that

Downloads
    Uploads

Any idea how hot the laser beam is where it hits the target? Or the Watts per square cm or inch for the beam. I realize the beam is much smaller than that.

Downloads
    Uploads

not sure how hot it is but a CO2 laser won't cut metal the honey comb is there to keep the piece that I am cutting up so it cuts clean

Downloads
    Uploads

I've heard of folks using Aluminum for a back stop. Won't the aluminum reflect the beam to some extent? I want the beam, if not absorbed by the target, to be absorbed by the backstop and not end up banging around inside my laser cutter box, looking for a way out....

Downloads
    Uploads

The laser (depending on the lens size) starts to defocus and lose power rapidly past the focal point, so it won't "bang around" inside your laser box. For example, with a 2" focusing lens, on 1/4" thick acrylic my laser is already starting to cut a slight hourglass shape on the lower portion of the acrylic. Any reasonable distance below the the part you are cutting is probably sufficient to prevent any strong reflections. You can test this out yourself by cutting a part with the laser at varying heights, and you will see how large and weak the laser gets when you increase the distance.

I use a pin table made from perforated steel with 1" long roll pins hammered into the perforated holes, and there are no black/scorch marks on the steel. See this thread for pics.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ml#post1773016

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your help. I ordered the metal honey comb and it works fine. Just for peace of mind and placed a welding blanket on the deck below the honeycomb to absorb and errant laser. Thanks again!