100watt laser tube length ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100watt laser tube length ?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    yea but how much is a 100 watt synrad all dressed up?
    I think they are around $20,000 new. I have seen them slightly used go for about $12000 or so.

Yes, still a significant amount more than the $8000 you would pay for a high quality HV DC glass tube 100 watt system but...

Downloads
    Uploads

just don't get why the are soooooo expensive!!!!!!!!! i have seen how they are made....i know how how they work,,,it just seem like a rip off....why can't the chines make these to give some competition to synrad?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think part of it is the fact they are made in the USA instead of in some shack in China. Part of it is that the market is pretty vertical, meaning they don't sell nearly as many CO2 lasers as Apple sells I-phones. Part of it is the labor intensive 48 hour bake-in and testing period for each laser, so you can't just produce 1000 a day. Part of it is the RF components (high power radio frequency mosfets) are very expensive (1000 watts of solid state RF costs serious bucks). And of course at the end of the day they need to recoup some research costs, etc.

It does seem like they could be a tad cheaper...if they had a 25 watt air cooled version for $1500 new, I bet nobody would buy a 6 month lifetime glass tube.

Downloads
    Uploads

you are probably right.

Downloads
    Uploads

Synrad is very strong brand in laser business. I am working with laser long time, but heard about Laserengineering first time here. And if will be proposal for same lasers I will choose Synrad. Even price of Synrad will be 20-30% higher.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    You told here "medical laser". But who can explained me what this laser can do in sign business for example? Is it possible cut acrylic, wood, paper? Of course price is high but working time is impressive
    The type of material it can cut has nothing to do with the brand or what it was originally intended to be used for. You said you have been working with lasers for a long time, you should know this!!!

The determining factor in what material it can cut is first and foremost wavelength and all carbon dioxide lasers operate in the 10.6 micron range, no exceptions. Second is power output. Third, which really doesnt have much to do with the laser (other than beam diameter) is the focusing optics and how well the beam is focused.

@ KTP, I agree with you on the refill, however I got my system so cheap it would still be worth it if it needed it.

@ Litografa, why are you so argumentative over this?

Yes, Synrad makes some very nice stuff, however we are hobbyists here for the most part and we are going to use whatever we can get our hands on. If I had the option of a nice RF excited laser at the time I got the M55, sure, you bet I would have gotten it instead.

I also have a Coherent 85w flowing gas system but too $$ to operate.

HV DC lasers and RF lasers both have their places, and as a hobbyist, personally I would much rather have a good ole glass tube and HV DC supply. I would much rather have to repair a HVDC supply than have to buy a new RF supply due to hard to find and very expensive components. Plus, if I had to, I would much rather throw out a few hundred bucks for a cheap Chinese tube than finding a working RF for a decent price or buying a new one.

Certainly, if I was in business and making $$, it wouldnt matter!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post
    I think part of it is the fact they are made in the USA instead of in some shack in China. Part of it is that the market is pretty vertical, meaning they don't sell nearly as many CO2 lasers as Apple sells I-phones. Part of it is the labor intensive 48 hour bake-in and testing period for each laser, so you can't just produce 1000 a day. Part of it is the RF components (high power radio frequency mosfets) are very expensive (1000 watts of solid state RF costs serious bucks). And of course at the end of the day they need to recoup some research costs, etc.

It does seem like they could be a tad cheaper...if they had a 25 watt air cooled version for $1500 new, I bet nobody would buy a 6 month lifetime glass tube.
    You are right, and also,CO2 laser gas isnt just elcheapo CO2, its a mixture of gasses. The other gasses are mostly common cheap gasses as well, however good manufacturers will often have proprietary mixes that contain certain amounts of very expensive noble gasses which drives the cost up as well compared to cheap tubes which may not contain these "sustainability" gasses. These gasses also need to be very pure, and the equipment to scrub these gasses to a state of purity required for laser use is not cheap. The quality of optics is a factor as well.

I will agree with most however, even the Chinese tubes could be much cheaper.

Downloads
    Uploads

X3CNC - may be I put my question wrong way. I want know DOES MEDICINE LASERS FROM LASERENGINEERING HAVE SOME TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS WHICH DO NOT ALLOWED THEM USE IN SIGN BUSINESS?
    For example many of my customers use medicine compressors for air assist. Reason - they are noise free, and this is important when you sit in one room with working laser 8-10 hours and must listen BU-BU-BU-BU But same time there is no POWERFUL medicine compressors and if you want cut some materials you can't use noise free medicine compressor. May be this lasers have special requirements for electric supply, environment temperature/humidity and etc.

Concerning "The determining factor in what material it can cut is first and foremost wavelength and all carbon dioxide lasers operate in the 10.6 micron range, no exceptions. Second is power output. Third, which really doesnt have much to do with the laser (other than beam diameter) is the focusing optics and how well the beam is focused" - believe me - I was good student in University and this topic was during first year of study

Downloads
    Uploads

I also have a Coherent 85w flowing gas system but too $$ to operate.??
    how much?
    I have seen pics of home built and i would love to build my own. has anyone done this here?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by X3CNC View Post
    HV DC lasers and RF lasers both have their places, and as a hobbyist, personally I would much rather have a good ole glass tube and HV DC supply. I would much rather have to repair a HVDC supply than have to buy a new RF supply due to hard to find and very expensive components. Plus, if I had to, I would much rather throw out a few hundred bucks for a cheap Chinese tube than finding a working RF for a decent price or buying a new one.

Certainly, if I was in business and making $$, it wouldnt matter!!
    Actually I have successfully repaired two RF amplifiers from 48 series Synrad lasers

It is not that hard really since they only have one component prone to failure, the RF mosfet. This part is hard to remove though because it has huge flat tabs soldered to a wide expanse of copper on the board. I had to use two soldering irons just to heat things up enough to lift each tab off the board.

Solid state HV dc supplies would actually scare me more...I accidentally trashed a very nice Fluke multimeter when working on a 20KV supply...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal View Post
    I also have a Coherent 85w flowing gas system but too $$ to operate.??
    how much?
    I have seen pics of home built and i would love to build my own. has anyone done this here?
    Well, its too expensive for me to operate due to the rental of the cylinder and regulator everytime and refills, for some it may not be too bad. It varies on the cost depending on retailer and location so im not sure in your region but it cost me $150 last time. If you bought a cylinder and regulator that cost would only be a one timer.

I would be willing to get rid of the Coherent really cheap if your interested, or trade for a NEMA 34 600+ oz stepper and driver which I am in dire need of.

The Coherent is fully enclosed in a metal housing. No PSU however, just the tube in the housing. Its fully funtional!!

@KTP, I agree with you somewhat on the RF supply repair, however all the HV DC supplies ive had, I could replace nearly every component other than the transformer for literally under $10, mosfets being the most expensive component, but usually at just a few bucks each. When replacing components like that I always use hot air or pre heat the entire board in a toaster over, makes it MUCH easier.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    X3CNC - may be I put my question wrong way. I want know DOES MEDICINE LASERS FROM LASERENGINEERING HAVE SOME TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS WHICH DO NOT ALLOWED THEM USE IN SIGN BUSINESS?
    For example many of my customers use medicine compressors for air assist. Reason - they are noise free, and this is important when you sit in one room with working laser 8-10 hours and must listen BU-BU-BU-BU But same time there is no POWERFUL medicine compressors and if you want cut some materials you can't use noise free medicine compressor. May be this lasers have special requirements for electric supply, environment temperature/humidity and etc.

Concerning "The determining factor in what material it can cut is first and foremost wavelength and all carbon dioxide lasers operate in the 10.6 micron range, no exceptions. Second is power output. Third, which really doesnt have much to do with the laser (other than beam diameter) is the focusing optics and how well the beam is focused" - believe me - I was good student in University and this topic was during first year of study
    OK, I did misunderstand your question. However it really doesnt matter what it was originally intended for as long as its specs meet your requirements.

As far as compressors for air assist go, they are no just used for the assistance in actually cutting the material. In some cases, as with the cheap Chinese laser systems, its primary use is to keep smoke, flame and debris off the focusing optic. In this case only a few PSI at a fairly low flow rate would suffice, which a medical type compressor would probably do fine. If you want actual air assistance in cutting then no, it probably will not.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am about to buy a similar laser.
    I would like to know from CNCAdmin if it is working well.
    The tube looks great anyhow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi,all friend.Now have a laser tube is 1350mm for 100w it is true.
    Becuase right now our machine used is such laser tube.it can use for around 8000hours.and it's fuction is steady.

vivinar

We offer best quality and wonderful service.
    welcome to Zhiya.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Vivinar.

a few questions:-

Is this kind of tube now manufactured in china ?

does it use the same power supply as the old tube?

what is the approximate cost?

available as 100Watt only , or 80w, 60 ?

Thanks very much.

KPB

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear KPB

yes,we have such laser tube 100w 1.35m.And it is made in china.
    and the detail information about this laser tube,i have send to you with private letter.you can have a check.
    we also have 80w,60w laser tube.

vivinar

welcome to Zhiya.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why do not put detailed information about tube here? Here is forum for INFORMATION EXCHANGE not for PM's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

becuase he want to know this information,so i just told he.and if i am want to do sales-purchasing i can directly to write here,let more people know and this way is more better to do my own business.but i think somebody may don't like.
    somebody want to search help about machine in this form and somebody want to find the potential customers in this form.It is free.
    I am not force somebody to buy our machines and our things,i also offer them more chances to choose.
    so Dear that is my thinking.

welcome to Zhiya.

Downloads
    Uploads

Paul, can you tell us how much your tube cost you and which company you got it from? Even a pm with an approximate price would do if you don't want it to be public.
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post
    Can the M55 really do 100 watts?

I have a M55 in a surgilase medical laser I picked up for free from a hospital that was throwing it out and it is still working almost to full power (but the surgilase unit is called a 50 watt laser and so they may be running the tube at a lower amperage than it could be run since it does about 54 watts right at the tube before the articulated arm). This M55 tube was made in 1988...that is correct, 22 years ago, and is still outputting 54 watts.

I have another M55 I pulled from a unit when I was unable to take the whole thing (alltogether they are about 300 pounds). It was working when I pulled it out 7 years ago but no idea if it still works now.
    KTP
    Seven years later, it is your M 55 still operating?
    Interested since I have one that I'm thinking about setting up.
    Chuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12