Synrad 48 tube with a Trocen AWC708 plus?

Thread: Synrad 48 tube with a Trocen AWC708 plus?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Synrad 48 tube with a Trocen AWC708 plus?

Hi all,

I have recently acquired an old Epilogue radius laser engraver with a Synrad 48-2 tube. The original control seems to be all good and the tube was presumed dead. However, the mirrors and lenses were absolutely shot and replacing these with initial testing of the laser has provided promising results.

I do want to replace the original control as undoubtedly at some point the tube will die and I will have to replace with a glass tube because of the especially high cost of repairing / refilling my Synrad. This and I find it a pain to "print" to the radius from an old pc with parallel port.
    I have already got a Trocen Anywells AWC708 plus controller, the manufacturer says the Synrad 48 is supported, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience of using this type of tube with a DSP control such as Anywells or Ruida? I'm about to venture into getting an oscilloscope to see what the signal looks like to the Synrad as the manual states it requires the tickle signal to work properly. However I must admit my expertise are lacking in this area.

Any pointers would be most helpful,

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drumsticksplint View Post
    Hi all,

I have recently acquired an old Epilogue radius laser engraver with a Synrad 48-2 tube. The original control seems to be all good and the tube was presumed dead. However, the mirrors and lenses were absolutely shot and replacing these with initial testing of the laser has provided promising results.

I do want to replace the original control as undoubtedly at some point the tube will die and I will have to replace with a glass tube because of the especially high cost of repairing / refilling my Synrad. This and I find it a pain to "print" to the radius from an old pc with parallel port.
    I have already got a Trocen Anywells AWC708 plus controller, the manufacturer says the Synrad 48 is supported, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience of using this type of tube with a DSP control such as Anywells or Ruida? I'm about to venture into getting an oscilloscope to see what the signal looks like to the Synrad as the manual states it requires the tickle signal to work properly. However I must admit my expertise are lacking in this area.

Any pointers would be most helpful,

Thanks!
    Just in case this becomes of any interest to anybody:

I got a cheap pc based oscilloscope to view the output from my epilogue main board to the Synrad tube. I seem to read around 4khz with the tickle pulse definitely there. In terms of the Trocen Anywells controller, this can be set for an RF laser tube, with the frequency, min and max % output. However, it seems that these parameters do not output “exactly” as I would have expected, so I had to play around with the settings to get what I wanted to read on the oscilloscope. I haven’t tried this with the tube just yet as my time is limited at the moment. I will update my results as soon as I get around to it.