Need Help! Precision problems with our new Usb controller update from Larken.

Thread: Precision problems with our new Usb controller update from Larken.

Arrow Precision problems with our new Usb controller update from Larken.

Does somebody can inform me if they are using successfully their Larken 24X24 CamTool with the new USB controller update (that replace the old DOS LCam controller)?

We have difficulties using simple gcode programs (generated with CamBam) with StarCNC and the new USB controller. For example, running the following gcode 20 times will constantly and precisely gain .010" on the Z axis:

G0 Z0.2
    G0 Z0.05
    G1 F10 Z-0.01
    G0 Z0

Then everything will be right if we replace the second line with:

G1 F100 Z0.05

Also, we are not able to precisely set the router speed (e.g. F100 will be routed as F70 on the Z axis). The following table shows some values:

Axis IPM Requested IPM Routed
    Z 1 6
    Z 10 6
    Z 20 10
    Z 30 20
    Z 40 30
    Z 50 40
    Z 60 60
    Z 70 70
    Z 80 70
    Z 90 70
    Z 100 70
    Z 110 70
    Z 120 70
    X/Y 1 10
    X/Y 10 10
    X/Y 20 15
    X/Y 30 30
    X/Y 40 48
    X/Y 50 69
    X/Y 60 80
    X/Y 70 120
    X/Y 80 120
    X/Y 90 120
    X/Y 100 120
    X/Y 110 120
    X/Y 120 120

Knowing that others don’t have these problem would encourage us to find a solution. At this time we suspect that the StarCNC/USB controller combo doesn’t work well.

Thanks,

denilama

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision problems with our new Usb controller update from Larken.

The feed rate is in %, not IPM. And the clipping you are seeing is the parameters ,(Max XY) and (Max Z) velocity, that are easily changed in the Setup>configure machine>contouring Tab.

I tested the code on a machine in my shop, and it didn't loose steps. Its possibly one of the older stepper drives loosing the steps, but if changing that line of code fixes it, then thats easier.

Also, Its strange that CamBam puts 2 , Z rapids in a row like that. Shouldn't the 2nd one be a feed (G01) ?

Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Larken company representative,

I have difficulties to figure out why GCODE “F1” gives 10 IPM on the X/Y axis from your percentage and velocity clipping explanations.

There is nothing wrong with our stepper drives and nothing strange with CamBam:

I tried to solve the missing steps problem with Larry Kenny (from Larken) before asking on this forum. I already told him why CamBam puts 2, Z rapids in a row. CamBam is not doing it for nothing. You should try CamBam and see that it is a really good piece of software.

After having lost too much time (and destroyed too many parts), I replaced the Larken USB motion controller with a chinese one (cheaper). All our problems are now gone; No more missing steps, no need to change our stepper drives, good control of the speed of the spindle, no ground/noise problem, we can use CamBam output without any modification and so on…

So, if you want to do something for us please just to refund (as I already requested to Larry) the defective/problematic USB motion controller that you (Larken automation) sold us.

Denis

Last edited by denilama; 08-13-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Denis, I did offer to exchange the Starcam board with a mach3 brakeout board to try to please you, but you decined. You only wanted a full refund. But I can't refund you for the labour and time i spent on the controller, which was most of the cost.
    Try asking a garage to refund every cent of a job because you don't like the tires he put on. He will offer you an exchange.

Larry Kenny

BTW, I have hundreds of routers running starcam in canadian schools , but i'm glad you have your Larken router running the way you want it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi denilama,

I am also looking to upgrade my older Larken controller from the serial printer port to a USB controller. I know your frustration, I've sent multiple email requests to Larken Automation for information to upgrade the controller and have not got a response back, so I would be very interested in your solution to to replace the USB motion controller. The only computer system I am able to get working with the StarCNC Spooler is Windows XP 32 bit. I would like to use Windows 7 64 bit or any new version of Windows moving forward with a USB motion controller.

Are you still using the StarCNC Spooler or have you replaced that also?

I would like to use something other than the StarCNC Spooler because if its very basic and limited G-Code capabilities. When I bought the machine I was told that it has no problem running on G-Code, and it does but not without a very basic output with regards to the G-Code. I have managed to write a post processor that outputs G-Code that runs flawlessly on StarCNC. With the lack of using basic G-Code options like; G54-G59 work offsets, G41-G42 cutter compensation, canned drilling cycles, arcs support in G18 &G19 work planes, just to name a few. I'm also looking to either go with Mach 3 or Planet-CNC to have a more powerful and capable machine. Having to re-post code every time just to get size for a few thousands of an inch is a real pain, cutter compensation is really a key feature for me. The machine it's self is an awesome piece of equipment, the controller is it's weakness in my opinion for the reasons listed above.

Should you run into other G-Code issues if you are still using StarCNC, let me know and will try and help you out. Developing the post processor took a lot of trial and error, so I definitely know what it likes and doesn't like when it comes to the G-code and StarCNC.

So please let myself and other know how you solved your problem and maybe together we can provide some support for other people that maybe in the same boat as us.

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Axis View Post
    Hi denilama,
    I have managed to write a post processor that outputs G-Code that runs flawlessly on StarCNC.

With the lack of using basic G-Code options like; G54-G59 work offsets, G41-G42 cutter compensation, canned drilling cycles, arcs support in G18 &G19 work planes, just to name a few. I'm also looking to either go with Mach 3 or Planet-CNC to have a more powerful and capable machine. Having to re-post code every time just to get size for a few thousands of an inch is a real pain, cutter compensation is really a key feature for me. The machine it's self is an awesome piece of equipment, the controller is it's weakness in my opinion for the reasons listed above.

Should you run into other G-Code issues if you are still using StarCNC, let me know and will try and help you out. Developing the post processor took a lot of trial and error, so I definitely know what it likes and doesn't like when it comes to the G-code and StarCNC.

With the lack of using basic G-Code options like; G54-G59 work offsets

Thanks,
    We can upgrade your controller to Mach3 (printerport) for people who want the advanced full gcode support such as G41-G42. Cutter comp is always better done in the cam program, but if you really want it mach3 is a better machineshop style program.

What email address have you been sending to ? It should be Larken@storm.ca

btw, Starcnc (USB) does work offsets and canned drilling cycles.

Larry K

Hi 4th Axis,

I understand your nightmare. I was in the same boat. I remember all my problems with LCAM, then problems with StarCNC, problems with Starcam, missing steps, a post-processor to develop and manage, all the broken parts, all the stress and frustrations… I tried everything to keep running my original Larken CNC router (including the Larken USB motion controller update) but finally it was really too much.

So I replaced everything between the computer and the three Larken drivers (X,Y,Z):

Larken Starcam software -> CAMBAM,
    Larken StarCNC spooler -> Mach3,
    Larken USB motion controller -> E-CUT USB motion controller.

Since then, I never looked back. I went from the nightmare world to the wonderful world of CNC.

The E-CUT USB motion Controller is about 130$ shipping included and available from ebay and amazon. Mach3 and CAMBAM are available (as demo) from the Internet.

I kept some pictures and notes about the replacement so I can help you a bit more should you need it. I like your idea to provide some support to other people that may be in the same boat.

Denis

Last edited by denilama; 10-24-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Larry,

I sent my email to larkencnc@sympatico.ca because that was the address you replied back to me when I sent another email to you when I used Larken@storm.ca.

I'll send it again to Larken@storm.ca

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by denilama View Post
    Hi 4th Axis,

I understand your nightmare. I was in the same boat. I remember all my problems with LCAM, then problems with StarCNC, problems with Starcam, missing steps, a post-processor to develop and manage, all the broken parts, all the stress and frustrations… I tried everything to keep running my original Larken CNC router (including the Larken USB motion controller update) but finally it was really too much.

So I replaced everything between the computer and the three Larken drivers (X,Y,Z):

Since then, I never looked back. I went from the nightmare world to the wonderful world of CNC.

The E-CUT USB motion Controller is about 130$ shipping included and available from ebay and amazon. Mach3 and CAMBAM are available (as demo) from the Internet.

I kept some pictures and notes about the replacement so I can help you a bit more should you need it. I like your idea to provide some support to other people that may be in the same boat.

Denis
    Hi denilma,

That's awesome that you have your system up and running, I know the nightmare of the CNC world all too well. There is nothing more stressful than having your valuable time and money you've invested in something and things aren't working out.

One of the things I mentioned in my first post below is that I was wanting to use Windows 7 64 bit, but after spending a lot of time reading about Mach3 online this weekend I found out it's a 32 bit program. There are some ways to get it running on 64 bit, but now I'm not really sure I need to after learning a few things about CNC control and why 32 bit works the way it does. I just thought I would point that out for others who maybe stuck on the whole 64 bit thing like I was. The same is true for the Printer Port vs USB...so I'm really confused after ready so many things online about the Pro's and Con's for each. I see that there are even ethernet brake out boards too.

Mach3 does look like a great interface, there seems to be a strong user and support community for it.

I'm not sure what I will do yet, my router is still working fine right now, so I'm in no rush to make the changes. The old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix" still rings true with me, but I know in the back of my mind the PC is going to die again one day and finding one with a printer port might be hard to find. So I do appreciate you sharing your solution.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Hi Bryan (4th Axis),

Like you, a saw the last days of my old DOS computer (and its parallel port) coming. It was tougher and tougher to repair. Also I had to use a floppy disk to transfer files to it. I really prefer the Wi-Fi of my new setup.

You should not have any problem to use Mach3 on Win7/64 with an external USB motion controller. Problems should only occur with the parallel printer port.

I don’t use a breakout board with the E-Cut USB motion controller because all of its inputs and outputs are already optic isolated.

Denis

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Denis,

I'm happy to report that I have my router now running on Mach3 with the E-Cut USB motion controller you recommended...it works perfect.

Last edited by 4th Axis; 11-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by denilama View Post
    Hi 4th Axis,

Denis
    Hello,

How did you configure for the changes?
    How many steps per inch using the existing steppers and screws?
    Did you close the system by using the encoders?
    The E-Cut board, if it's a USB connection and Mach3 is for Parallel connection, how did you set that up? MODBUS?

Thanks for the help,

Rob

Website [url]http://whatisacnc.com[/url]