Upgrading controller box


Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Upgrading controller box

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Upgrading controller box

    Need suggestions on upgrading the controller and maybe servo motors if necessary. Purchased an older Larken 24/24 machine a few weeks ago but any contact with them has not been returned. I understand they have an upgraded controller and software available, but without any contact I refuse to send off my fully functioning controller without any contact. Any suggestion would be helpful.

    Thanks
    Al V.

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    send me an e-mail and I will call Larry, I have one of his system 50, and I live south of Ottawa.



  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Thanks but because of Larry's lack of response I replaced the stepper motors and electronics. The system is working fine. If you know someone who might be interested in the older Larken stepper motors and electronics I would like to get them out of the shop.

    Thanks for the response, I'm not a fan of Larry's, he builds a good machine but his lack of customer response I find to be his worse enemy.

    Al V.



  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    28
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Larry is basically a one man show, and his machines are great, and well built.

    I would be interested, how much are you asking, also what did you replace the electronics with, mine is running the star cam which is ok, but linux cnc or mach 3 would be better. I am also looking at adding a lathe to my machine to do full 3d objects.

    Thanks
    Doug Morency.



  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    DAV II - I also have an older Larken 2424 Camtool

    So far - I have replaced the BOB and I run with Mach3. That was a GREAT upgrade - WELL worth the effort.

    The steppers are a problem on my machine.

    The "Z" axis was so bad I needed to add a counterweight.
    The counter weight looks dumb but it works.
    The machine was virtually useless before I did that.

    Now - my "Y" axis looses steps "unannounced" without warning, or reason.
    I have worked around the steppers losing steps and ruining my material and time for a long time.
    I just ordered 380 in-oz steppers from Fine Line Automation.
    I hope this solves my problem.

    I find the machine to be a bit finicky, but I think the new steppers will help in that department.
    The mechanical part of the machine is well built.

    I am now considering a shop built 48x48 with 4-th axis.
    I will use the 2424 Larken to make parts for it out of Aluminum.
    I know I can cut the Aluminum on the Larken.



  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Having completely replaced the stepper motors and electronics I have had no issues except working through the different programs. Over the last week I was able to run 3 10 hour days though, without any problems.

    I ended up with 3-276 in oz motors and have worked fine. I am running a 3 1/2hp router and had initial concerns with its weight but none have surfaced.

    I have some concerns regarding the nylon screw slide nuts though. Being a new operator and during the program and machine setup I did slam the stops more times than I wanted. No problems have surfaced but I suspect I may have some damage that may surface down the road like unannounced step losses.

    I have also thought of making an additional machine down the road. Let me know how this works out.



  7. #7
    Company Representative
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    930
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Artic fox,

    More than likeliy its dirt in your V axis linear bearings, causing it to jam. I find machines that are older than 5 years that jam probably need new bearings or the bearings cleaned. The part# is TW8UUOP from nippon bearing. ON early 2424 u use to use a 100 in/oz PacSci motor that was a bit on the small size/. Keep in mind, this was before motors were made in china and dirt cheap as they are now. Motors in that day cost $200-400 each.

    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com


  8. #8
    Company Representative
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    930
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAV II View Post
    Need suggestions on upgrading the controller and maybe servo motors if necessary. Purchased an older Larken 24/24 machine a few weeks ago but any contact with them has not been returned. I understand they have an upgraded controller and software available, but without any contact I refuse to send off my fully functioning controller without any contact. Any suggestion would be helpful.

    Thanks
    Al V.
    I try to answer all my emails every day , who did you send the email to ?. My email is on my website, Larken@storm.ca
    I only look at this forum from time to time, so emailing me direct is the way to go.

    There are a lot of older Larkens out there being sold and some need controller upgrades. I recommend people who buy an older DOS Lcam machine , and want to do it really cheap just to get a BOB and convert it to Mach3 since there is a lot of support out there.

    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com


  9. #9
    Company Representative
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    930
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Upgrading controller box

    Quote Originally Posted by DAV II
    Thanks but because of Larry's lack of response I replaced the stepper motors and electronics. The system is working fine. If you know someone who might be interested in the older Larken stepper motors and electronics I would like to get them out of the shop.
    Thanks for the response, I'm not a fan of Larry's, he builds a good machine but his lack of customer response I find to be his worse enemy.
    You sound like a pleasure to do business with... maybe im glad i missed your call .



    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasMorency View Post
    Larry is basically a one man show, and his machines are great, and well built.
    I would be interested, how much are you asking, also what did you replace the electronics with, mine is running the star cam which is ok, but linux cnc or mach 3 would be better. I am also looking at adding a lathe to my machine to do full 3d objects.
    Thanks
    Doug Morency.
    Hey Doug thanks for the help, but you know I'm maybe a one man show when it comes to tech support these days, but not when it comes to production. I have about 4 people to build my machines and controllers. Also people to assemble my servo drives.

    Last time you were at my shop, you were talking about adding a 4th axis. If you want this summer i could upgrade your controller to USB starcam and add the 4th axis. I still want to see that Miata .... maybe make a trade. I'm doing a rear engine MX6 this summer, i',m going to call it my Mazda-rati

    Larry K

    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Upgrading controller box

Upgrading controller box