Build Thread KRMx02 50x72 hybrid in Kansas City

Thread: KRMx02 50x72 hybrid in Kansas City

Downloads
    Uploads

Default KRMx02 50x72 hybrid in Kansas City

After looking at several options on building a CNC router for my business I finally had decided on building the KRMx02 machine with some slight modifications.

For some background:

I am a small home based business that puts photographs on aluminum metal panels. The aluminum is .045" thick and comes in sheet sizes up to 48x96. Currently I deal with sheets that are 40x60 and will cut them down to different pieces depending upon my customers requirements. My current method of cutting the sheets is with a table saw and then routing the edges with a router table insert on my saw. This has become a backlog in my work flow since each piece has to be handled multiple times and the saw has to be changed from table saw to router. After visiting a friends shop who has a cnc machine I decided it was time to find a way to buy or build one.

The machine not only had to cut the thin aluminum sheets but also has to be able to cut 3mm dibond and some wood products. Most cuts are straight, but I have had requirements for circles as well.

I originally looked at the CNC Router Parts machine and felt it was more money than I wanted to spend, so I looked at the Fineline Autmation 4x8 kit and was ready to pull the trigger but my timing and the owners did not work out, so I moved on. Looking at the Kronos machine seemed to give me the robust build that I was looking for and some price relief that I needed to move forward with the build. I also felt that there were at least two options for support, this site as well as the Kronos site along with some support for items purchased through CNC Router Parts.

After ordering and reading the build manual for the machine and reading several threads in this forum and the Kronos forums I decided to make a few modifications to the base machine based upon other designs. One major change was the angle iron. I really did not want to drill hundreds of holes in angle iron, for one I did not have the time nor did I have the right type of shop space to fabricate the angle Iron as specified. So, I decided to utilize the same type of anchors that are used in cncrp build. It might have cost me more in the original materials but I think it will work out in the end. I also, decided not to extend the cross beams so far out beyond the Y rails, I instead have them cut right to the outside edge of the Y rail. The counterbores for the anchors are only drilled in the 3 inch 3060 uprights, 2 on each end connecting to the Y rail 3060 and 2 on each side connecting to the 3030 crossbeam. The anchors on the 3030 side are double anchors providing more strength. See pictures attached.

I currently have most of the parts required to start putting this machine together. I have taken the cold rolled steel to a machine shop to have the holes drilled and then off to the powder coating facility to have them painted.

I will try to take pictures of the build as I go along and post them here as well as the Kronos site.

Any input on this would be helpful as I move forward on this adventure.

Thanks to CNC Zone for the space to put this information and I hope it will help others as much as it has helped me.

Ben Gasser
    Kansas City

KRMx02 50x72 hybrid in Kansas City-20180722_163902-jpg