krmx02 Questions?

Thread: krmx02 Questions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question krmx02 Questions?

Hey Everyone,

So I'm looking for a CNC router for around £3k plus or minus. From what I've looked at I do like the design of the krmx02 it looks like a solid machine, well over engineered, just what I like.

Q1
    Most the time the router will be working with aluminium and on the odd occasions brass, copper, acrylic and PTFE. Can the krmx02 handle being used for these materials every day? It would be nice to be able to router thin stainless (0.5mm-1mm say) but I don't expect this, I know stainless is a pain.

Q2
    Can all the parts be sourced over here in the UK? The krmx01 uses 80/20 aluminium slotted extruded bar and I guess the krmx02 does as well. This is my main worry, that I can't source the aluminium extruded bar. If this can't be sourced in the UK can I use an alternative manufacturer? Can I maybe build the machine in metric units ? Where do I get parts like the router mount or is this expected to be made by myself (not a problem just like to know before I take it on)?

Q3
    When you buy the krmx02 book, do you get access to the CAD files? As I'll be getting a lot of the parts laser cut (it's not that much more expensive than buying the metal) so I would need dfx/dwg files.

Q4
    What realistic accuracy and repeatability can you expect from this machine (say in aluminium), with an inexperienced operator haha.

If some of you guys can answer some or all of the above questions it would be a massive help in deciding to go for it or not

Thanks

Sam

Similar Threads:

Default Re: krmx02 Questions?

I have had people build the KRMx02 all over the world. That said sourcing the components can be done, but shipping can be expensive. It almost sounds to me that you need a milling machine not a CNC router. The KRMx02 can mill aluminum all day long. I have never milled brass or copper with it. Copper is not an easy metal to machine with any machine.

The KRMx02 workbook is printed only. It doe not come with any CAD files for the machine itself.

Accuracy?
    Truth about quoted accuracy statements - Kronos Robotics

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: krmx02 Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by motress View Post
    Hey Everyone,

So I'm looking for a CNC router for around £3k plus or minus. From what I've looked at I do like the design of the krmx02 it looks like a solid machine, well over engineered, just what I like.

Q1
    Most the time the router will be working with aluminium and on the odd occasions brass, copper, acrylic and PTFE. Can the krmx02 handle being used for these materials every day? It would be nice to be able to router thin stainless (0.5mm-1mm say) but I don't expect this, I know stainless is a pain.

Q2
    Can all the parts be sourced over here in the UK? The krmx01 uses 80/20 aluminium slotted extruded bar and I guess the krmx02 does as well. This is my main worry, that I can't source the aluminium extruded bar. If this can't be sourced in the UK can I use an alternative manufacturer? Can I maybe build the machine in metric units ? Where do I get parts like the router mount or is this expected to be made by myself (not a problem just like to know before I take it on)?

Q3
    When you buy the krmx02 book, do you get access to the CAD files? As I'll be getting a lot of the parts laser cut (it's not that much more expensive than buying the metal) so I would need dfx/dwg files.

Q4
    What realistic accuracy and repeatability can you expect from this machine (say in aluminium), with an inexperienced operator haha.

If some of you guys can answer some or all of the above questions it would be a massive help in deciding to go for it or not

Thanks

Sam
    Hello Sam
    I am also living in the UK and looking to build a KRMx02
    How did you get on with your build
    Did you manage to source all the parts needed ?
    Many thanks