KRMx01 ACME Nut Information Page

Thread: KRMx01 ACME Nut Information Page

Default KRMx01 ACME Nut Information Page

I just started a new page covering the changes needed for the new ACME nut provided by CNCRouterParts.

Thanks to Joe for the drawing file changes and the pictures.
    You can see the page here:
    KRMx01 ACME Nut Changes — Kronos Robotics

Similar Threads:
    Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: KRMx01 ACME Nut Information Page

>While the X and Z axis don't require shims

I don't understand this.
    I've been building a KRMx01. I used the new nuts. I found it necessary to make 1/8" shims for all of the axes.
    Given that each axis is pretty similar in terms of rail to cross piece spacing, how would it *not* be the case that all axes needed to be shimmed?
    Pics to follow if this is not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by deadsy View Post
    >While the X and Z axis don't require shims

I don't understand this.
    I've been building a KRMx01. I used the new nuts. I found it necessary to make 1/8" shims for all of the axes.
    Given that each axis is pretty similar in terms of rail to cross piece spacing, how would it *not* be the case that all axes needed to be shimmed?
    Pics to follow if this is not clear.
    All I can tell you is what I did with my multiple KRmx01 builds. It has to do with the clearances I encountered. That said, each build may be a little different. For instance I only required a 1/16" shim on my Y-carriages and then just widened the block mounting holes to compensate. The approach that joe took was a much better approach and that is what I documented.

Joe did send me PDF files for the other mounting blocks as well. If others need to add shims to the X and Z axis I will post those files on the web pages I supplied.. I want to hear from some of the other builders to see if this is more consistant than what I encountered.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's some pics of my shimmed axes. All of the shims were 1/8" mild steel.

Y-Axis:

X-Axis:

Z-Axis:

Work In Progress:

Also- the mounting holes on the new nuts are counter-bored, so I had to make some tall washers to allow them to be securely fastened to the z-axis.

It's interesting to see all of the knock on effects of a single minor change.

The folks at CNCRouterParts.com have created an Dumpster nut replacement. It is a dropin replacement for the old dumpster nut. You can see it here:
    5 Start High Load Anti-Backlash Acme Nut - CRP162-00 | CNCRouterParts