My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com

Hello all,

I will be fully documenting the build at my personal website located at myheap.com but thought I would let folks know what I was doing here as well.

I have ordered and received the 80/20 Aluminum Extrusion for the machine and have an order placed for all the steel. For me, it was cheaper to buy 20 foot sticks of metal than to have it cut. Once the metal is in and I have a total, I will let you know what and how much I ordered. I just couldn't pay the Home center price for the steel.

I also have all the fasteners listed and given to my local Fastenal guy for a quote. I told him that I can buy by the pound at the TSC but really wanted to keep the business local, once he gets back to me, i will go from there.

After I get the steel and fasteners I will actually start the build.

I plan on a welded stand with aluminum rack rails so that I can have a place proper to mount the UPS, Computer and Electronics. I also plan to use a drawer mounted keyboard and monitor.

Will keep you posted.

Joe

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by WJHildreth; 01-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The steel order is in and will pick it up tomorrow and have my order from the local fastnal for most of the hardware that should be ready to pick up Friday. So with a little luck I should be cutting and welding up the table next week.

The downside is i have to clean up my workshop enough to build the thing. I will post the costs as soon as I have a total for them.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2013-01-14 Update.

I got all the fasteners I need for the project in terms of nuts, bolts, washers, lock washers and that sort of thing. Updated the project cost log, though a few more details are left to fill in. (I will fill in what I actually bought and the quantities). You will find it here.

Tomorrow, I should be cutting and welding on the table. My buddy John is giving me a hand with this. Good thing because my welding is, well let's just say I never photograph my welds. Don't know if it will get finished but should have it done this week if time works out. You know, God willing and the creek don't rise!!! (We had some flooding where I live so the creeks are up and almost out of their banks in some places.)

Once the table is started I will start the build log on the website. I plan to use different electronics and motors (because I already have them) and use LinuxCNC for the control software. This is different than what Michael uses in the book. I will detail what I do to set them up when I reach that point.

Till next time,

Happy CNCing.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I finally got started on the build. A friend of mine and I cut the angle Iron pieces for the stand and got them welded up. We added plates to the bottom of the legs and made adjustable feet to level the stand. I still have grinding and finishing work to do on it, but as far as the welding it has all been completed.

I also started the build log on the page. You can read about the Krmx01 CNC stand portion on the CH2 - Stand Assembly portion of the build log.

Now I have to make enough room in my workshop to house the new beast!!!

Here is a small picture of the welded stand. Larger pictures can be seen on the build log.

Till next time.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question 2 Questions for Mr. Simpson

Michael,

I have a couple of questions for you about the KRMx01 specifically.

1) I got my steel order and have built the stand. I have a little left to do on it to finish, but I noticed that I got 2 sticks of 2" x 2" x 3/16" angle iron instead of a stick of 2" x 2" x 1/4". Would it be okay to make the Y-Axis angles from the 3/16" stock rather than the 1/4" or will it affect itf? If it needs to be 1/4" then I will just get a stick of that.

2) I am going to cut the Bearing Conditioning Plate with my existing machine. Do you have any objections with me posting the DXF file and LinuxCNC gcode on my website for that plate?

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by WJHildreth; 01-17-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Incorrect angle size.

The 3/16" angle will work. It just wont be as rigid. Will it affect your cutting speed? I doubt it.

The KRMx01 is a design is flexible enough that you can make many changes. The thickness of the angle is one of them. I used 1/4" be cause it was more rigid than the 3/16".

Would I use 3/16" if I were building another KRMx01 machine. one? FYI I have a set of the 1/4" 2x2 Y-beam angles on hand (with holes). If you were close to me I would give them to you.

Last edited by msimpson99; 01-18-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Please dont distribute any drawing files of the CNC or any of its components. This includes the conditioning plate.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    The 3/16" angle will work. It just wont be as rigid. Will it affect your cutting speed? I doubt it.

The KRMx01 is a design is flexible enough that you can make many changes. The thickness of the angle is one of them. I used 1/4" be cause it was more rigid than the 3/16".

Would I use 3/16" if I were building another KRMx01 machine. one? FYI I have a set of the 1/4" 2x2 Y-beam angles on hand (with holes). If you were close to me I would give them to you.
    Well, if it isn't really going to make that much of a difference, then I will just use the 3/16" that I have. Saves me a trip back to the place.

We are neightbors of sorts, I leve in TN and you VA. But I suppose that is where the similarities end. I really appreciate the offer, but it would be cheaper for me to buy a piece of steel. I do appreciate your kindness.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    Please dont distribute any drawing files of the CNC or any of its components. This includes the conditioning plate.
    Not a problem Michael. That was why I bothered to ask. :-)

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, Thanks for taking the time to do your build log on your "MyHeap" site. I worked wood for 30+ years but don't have clue about CNC -- especially the electronics. I hope, by following your build & reading what others are writing, I won't make a mess of it all when it comes time to build my own CNC. I appreciate your listing of sources.
    I've bought the KRMx01 book one and the CNC Cookbook. You bought the KRMx01 book two as well as the KRMx02 book. Being poor (as well as tight fisted) would you say they are worth the cost? -- I am leaning toward buying them -- but....

Thanks again, -- Rich Farwell

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rich,

Sorry for taking so long in posting. I have been busy with the family these past several days. They take priority in my life so sometimes things I do are left setting for several days at a time.

Thanks for the kind words about MyHeap. It is kinda a big notebook for me, and I hope someone gets a little use from it. If this is your first build of a CNC machine, the whole task is a bit overwhelming. I am not much of a metal or wood worker, but am comfortable with electronics and computers. If you take it slow and spend some time on each section of the machine, software, wiring, etc. It isn't too bad in hindsight. Just like telling a small child that the poison ivy rash isn't going to kill them, they still wonder about it in the mean time. :-)

Now to answer your question about the books being worth it. Let me tell you my point of view and you can go from there.

The books are informative and look to be rather complete of how to build either machine and the upgrades. Having read all three a few times now, I am comfortable in telling you or anyone that. If you are NEW to the homebuilt CNC machine world and really want guidance, then the books fit that bill. It covers the construction, wiring and comtroller (MACH3) configuration for you so when finished you can concentrate of machining. If you like to collect information to adapt to another use or kitbash, well then there is plenty there you can glean from. There is a certain reliance on products from Kronos and a couple of other vendors that would make some feel a little boxed in. However, I can see the necessity from a support point of view from Mr. Simpson. And finally, because I have spent countless hours designing, tearing apart, building and rebuilding, I think it is a good way to express gratitude to a man that has stepped out on the limb to provide the information and support. For me, the cost was worth it. Having said that, I will admit that I think the cost of the KRMx02 book is a bit pricey for what it is, but does come with the files for the upgrades on the disk. It is my oppinion, for what it is worth, if you think the KRMx01 will fill your needs, I would invest in the KRMx1 upgrades book if you feel like this is something you want to do. But for me, it was mostly for the dragon cable. Limit switches and E-stops are pretty straight forward. I would not bother with the KRMx02 book unless you were looking for something VERY rigid and / or a lot of speed.

I guess that was really a giant non answer. To boil it down I would say:

1) If money really is an issue, start with the first KRMx01 book and then decide if you want to expand.

2) If money isn't so much of an issue, then the books are worth the information they contain.

3) If you are BRAND NEW, and need a good place to start with building, wiring and configuring, then Book 1 is a great place to start even if you have shallow pockets.

So I hope that is enough to chew on to help you decide.

Now, about my build log. I plan on using a different controller, LinuxCNC rather than Mach3. I will be using different electronics and motors because I already have them. My goal is to show the progress of my build and how I hooked up and configured things that are different than the standard build. Like you, I have shallow pockets with two kids in college and two in high school and one in junior high. Money flows away from the stuff I want and need to do like water through a sieve. I hope the site is helpful to you and feel free to email me anytime.

You can get my email from my website.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Joe, Your advice helps a lot.

--Rich Farwell

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Well I set this project aside for a while when gardening season came in and stuff to do with my children, but I finally have got back to it. I have the stand finished from chapter 2. I think it turned out pretty good. You can take a look at it here:

CH2 - Stand Assembly

I have also finished the Y-beam assembly. These are pretty nice. They have a fair amount of mass to them and I think it will be light years ahead of the original JGRO router that I built. You can take a look at these from here:

CH3 - Y-beam Assembly

If you have any questions, feel free to email me through the site contact at myheap.com or post here. Next, I need to pick up some strut and another sheet of MDF so I can start with chapter 4 of the book. I have to give Michael credit. This machine looks great in the images I have seen, but when it is there in front of your face to look at, it looks that much better!!!

Hope to update you again soon.

Joe

Nice progress.

The longer you let that paint cure the less likely it will crack or peel later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Michael.

I will keep the drying pain in mind. The table has been painted for a while now and while it feels nice and dry to touch, it still seems a bit soft. I am surprised really since it was painted with a latex based paint. Perhaps because it is a gloss. I suppose time will tell. And again, let me tell you, this looks to be a nice machine. Thanks for developing and sharing with us.

Btw, I have been considering your Mill book too!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WJHildreth View Post
    Hello all,

Well I set this project aside for a while when gardening season came in and stuff to do with my children, but I finally have got back to it. I have the stand finished from chapter 2. I think it turned out pretty good. You can take a look at it here:

CH2 - Stand Assembly

I have also finished the Y-beam assembly. These are pretty nice. They have a fair amount of mass to them and I think it will be light years ahead of the original JGRO router that I built. You can take a look at these from here:

CH3 - Y-beam Assembly

If you have any questions, feel free to email me through the site contact at myheap.com or post here. Next, I need to pick up some strut and another sheet of MDF so I can start with chapter 4 of the book. I have to give Michael credit. This machine looks great in the images I have seen, but when it is there in front of your face to look at, it looks that much better!!!

Hope to update you again soon.

Joe
    The good news is that I just started a "Black Friday" sale. All the workbooks are 15% off. It will go on until Nov 30.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet ... I will suggest it to my wife as a Christams gift. Thanks Michael.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com

Well the Black Friday sale was a success, my wife did buy me the mill conversion book. Interesting read.

Well if a guy could win an award for dragging his hind-side, I may be in the running. Had to drop things for a while as I was working 7 days a week for a few months then had to rebuild my deck, but finally am back on things.

I added some content to Chapter 1 - Getting Started

and I have completed Chapter 4 - Table and Rails

Looking forward to hearing from you fellas!

Here is the current state of things:

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch4_019-jpg

Good job so far. I hope my notes about the new ACME nut helps. The new nuts are more expensive than the old ones but are better, and should last longer. The little rubber thingy on the old nuts tended to dry out and break off. The new nuts have a metal spring and housing.

I am sorry I have not been watching these forums as much as I should. I am in the process of building a two story 24x36" shop for several new builds I will be writing about. Including a couple plasma CNC machines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast