My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com

You explaination make sense to me. I am waiting for the paint to dry on my Y-Carriages now and if I am remembering correct, I have a piece of 1/16" aluminum stock laying about somewhere! I should be good to go.

Thank you sir.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woo Hoo!!!

I finished the Y-Carriages and I am ready to start the X-Beam. I had to deviate from the regular build plans because the new anti-backlash nuts ar 0.155" taller than the original nuts. This required spacers to be placed between the carriage top and bottom and the supports. You can find the DXF file for the pacer I made on the site as well as other information related to it. You can check it out at CH5 - Y-Carriage Construction

Feed back is welcome.

A BIG thanks goes to Micael Simpson for his valuable input. Thanks Michael!

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch5_020-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Just an update. I finished the chapter on the X-Beam and have it posted at CH6 - X-Beam for anyone interested in reading about it.

If you are following along you know that I had to use spacers for the new anti-backlash nuts. This resulted in my beam being just shy of coming at least flush with my Y-Carriage supports. I am not sure if this will intefere with the bearing blocks or not. I think I can adjust it out in the mounting angles when I get to that point.

I am getting excited, it is starting to look like a machine!

Below is a picture of its current state.

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch6_008-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everyone,

For those of you who are following my build, I have finished the X-Carriage assembly. I have detailed it on my webpage if you would like to check it out.

CH7 - X-Carriage

As you recall, I had to make spacers for the X-Carriage as well. These were made with 1/8" x 2" strap. You will find the details on the page.

Below is the current state of the machine.

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch7_017-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Well I have finished the Z-Carriage and have it installed and adjusted. Had a bit of an issue with the 1-1/2" bolts interfering with the Z-Rails, but was able to move them out of the way so to speak. If you are interested you can read the details of building the Z-Carriage by going to CH8 - Z-Carriage

Thanks for following along. I have attached an image of the current state of the machine.

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch8_010-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey folks,

Just finished doing the Bearing blocks and motor mounts for the KRMxo1 CNC. You can check out the build for this by going to CH9 - Motor Mounts

Because the replacement nuts are taller than the original I had to make spacers to get them to clear the beams. As a result, I had to move the bearing centers towards the edge by an 1/8" to make up the difference. So the blocks are not painted until I see that the lead screws work with them.

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch9_023-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Everyone,

I have finished installing the lead screws and my modified bearing blocks work just fine, although I did have some issues with clearance on the Z-Axis nuts that required me to put yet another washer on the Z-Carriage bearings to resolve. Additionally, Using the 5/16" socket head cap screws didn't work so well for me and had to replace them with 1/4" bolts to give a little more movement with the anti-backlash nuts. You can read the details by going to CH10 - Installing Leadscrews

Now, I have to back track a little before starting the electronics. I want to get my bearing blocks painted and I need to build the computer rack that will go into the stand.

Regards,

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch10_006-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey all,

Another update. Just finished building the computer rack into the KRMx01 Stand that will serve to hold the computer and electronics of the machine. I called this chapter 10.1 even though it is not part of the official build. I had to complete this, (in my mind), before I could start on the electronics.

You can check out the building of it by going to CH10.1 - The Computer Rack

For those who just want to see the end result I have posted a picture below.

Regards,
    Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch10-1_011-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Everyone,

It has been a bit since I have posted. My wife had surgery so I have taken a break from building the machine. I am back at it now though. We have completed the electronics for the KRMx01. Since I am using different electronics than the book used I thought I would cover it in a lot of detail. Including the electronics drawer to fit the computer rack. You can read all the details by going to CH11 - KRMx01 Electronics

Below is an image of the drawer very near complete.

Enjoy,

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch11_034-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Folks!

Not seeing any replies or comments on this thread so am not sure anyone is reading it. But I will march on!

I have completed the LinuxCNC 2.6.3 on Debian Wheezy installation and configuration. I went into plenty of detail on it in the event someone is interested in trying it themselves. This is only a basic configuration to get the machine running. Changes and additions to the machine that will affect the configuration of LinuxCNC will be explained on that particular page. Anyway, you can read about it and watch the related videos by going to CH12 - LinuxCNC

As always here is a current picture of the progress.

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch12_001-png

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Another update to the build. I have installed the motors on the machine with the completion of CH13 - Installing Stepper Motors

This chapter is short and sweet. Only ran into a small issue that was easily corrected. Had to modify the screw heads and open the mounting holes up a bit on the motor.

As Usual, the latest image is below. Thanks for reading!!!

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch13_004-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone!

Well the basic machine is finished and running under LinuxCNC. WOO HOO!!!

If you are interested, the last of the basic build can be read at CH14 - Finishing the KRMx01

I have also posted a video of it being moved under LinuxCNC. I am sorry about the poor lighting and sound, but you will get the idea.

Next we will be starting the upgrades and add-ons. Cut Table, Dragon Cable, Limit and Home switches, X-Beam braces, SuperPID, etc. I will post updates on this stuff if you are interested.

As always, here is the most current version of the machine. My son Zachary has been a real trooper and has helped a lot along the way. It has been good to spend time with him.

Thanks again for reading!

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-krmx01_build_ch14_015-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

We have added a clamping table to our KRMx01 CNC build. I was not able to get the SlotWall that Michael Simpson calls out in his upgrade book, so i made my own. You will fins all the details on how I made it by reading Cutting Table

Next will probably be the dragon cable. The wires hanging from the shop rafters are driving me crazy. As Always here is a picture to share with you.

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-clampingtable_009-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone!

Still working on the KRMx01 CNC Machine. I have couple of updates to share with you.

First, after doing a little bit of cutting on the machine, testing things out. I decided to do the Kronos Robotic air exchanger. I am hoping this is as effective as I have read. You can read about it by going to Air Exchanger and Brushes

And as usual, here is a picture of the add-on.

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-airdiffuser_011-jpg

Additionally I have added some fences and clamps. This is really one thing that needs to be done early. Also, I think the more clamps the better! You can read about it by going to Fences and Clamps

And here is a picture of them in use.

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-fencesandclamps_005-jpg

Thank you for taking the time to follow my build. I hope that you find it useful and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me either through the CNC Zone forums or through the contact us link at the top of my webpage.

Happy cutting.

Joe

Last edited by WJHildreth; 10-17-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

Added the X-Beam braces upgrade to the Krmx01. You can read about it by going to X-Axis Braces

Was cutting more links out for the dragon cable this evening using the Air Exchanger and brush. All I can say it what a great product. I cut 15 links and when I finished there was no cleanup. The brush with the vacuum was very effective in collecting the cutting debris. Great product Michael!

And as always, here is an image of the upgrade

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-x-axisbraces_005-jpg

Again, thanks for following along. Nex will be the dragon cables I think, Then E-Stop, limit switches, SuperPID, Touch off, pendant, vacuum control, (&c) You get the idea!

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted but I have been busy with other things and the cold has kept me out of the shop. Additionally, I had to upgrade my site as Joomla 2.5.x is no longer supported. It is a little stark, but I am looking for a template. Any suggestions?

Anyway, I have finished the Dragon Cable installation. You can read about it here.

I have a picture for you, but the quality isn't that good. A little too dark.

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-dragoncable_10-jpg

Thanks again to those who are following along. The next upgrade will be a monitor post that will allow me to swivel and tilt the monitor. The rack mounted monitor I have been using inteferes with the operation. Live and learn.

Joe

Looking Good

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Michael, it has been a great project to build and has allowed me to spend some quality time with my son that otherwise I may not have had. Thanks for designing it!

Well, for the rest of you that may be following along, you may recall that I used a rack mounted monitor on my machine. This, as it turned out, was not the best idea. The monitor I had just doesn't pull far enough out and I found myself lowering it a bit when I would zero the machine. Now if they made one that would pull further out and then swing to the side then that would be a perfect solution. I thought about fabricating something, then decided that I would do something different.

So I don't know if you call this an upgrade, and addition or what.

Our solution was to build a monitor stand that would allow the monitor to both pivot and tilt and to bring it high enough so that it would not interfere with the gantry and the X-Axis motor as it came fully forward. So if you like swing by and take a look at what we come up with and give me some feedback. You can read about by visiting Monitor Stand

But for those of you who just want to see, I have posted an image below.

Regards,

Joe

My KRMx01 Build Log located at myheap.com-monitorstand_07-jpg

I covered touch monitors and mounts for my KRMx02 design. Should apply here as well.
    Touch Monitors — Kronos Robotics

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Michael,

I didn't think about that. I have the KRMx02 book. I will take a look when I get home this evening.

Great page you have there on your site about the subject. You gave me some meat to chew on for changes later, or my next machine.

Thanks,

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast