Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion

Thread: Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion

Hello all, I just bought an early 80's vintage Kondia K76 CNC mill. The mill has what I believe are DC servos on the X,Y, and Z axis. The plan is to reuse the existing servos and retrofit the old controls with something more modern. I'm currently researching Centroid CNC controls and a few others.

I've been cleaning and inspecting and so far everything looks like it is in good shape. I'm waiting on a VFD so I can start testing the motor and I'll be going through all the lube and air systems to see what's working and what isn't over the next few weeks. I've attached some pics for your viewing pleasure and I'll start posting updates as I make progress.

I'm also hoping to get some input on tool holding options. The current set up is, I think, a Quick switch or QC-30 tool holding system that uses an externally threaded spindle with a locking collar to secure the tool holders (pics attached). I'm told these tool holders are hard to find and expensive but I haven't had much time to verify this. The spindle does have a through hole for a draw bar but I'd like to fit an encoder to the spindle at some point so I'm not sure how that will work with a draw bar setup. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Tom

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion-img_1475-jpg   Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion-img_1478-jpg   Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion-img_1476-jpg   Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion-img_1477-jpg  

Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion-img_1479-jpg  

Default Re: Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion

I like the Centroid controls on my CNC knee mill retrofit. I've been programming and running Haas mills for a few years and Centroid was easy to pick up on. I don't know much about the Qwik-Switch spindle, I've heard that it is more for light to medium milling and drilling, no heavy roughing or anything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Clausing Kondia Power Mill Conversion

That looks to be an Erickson QC 30 spindle. I have one just like it on my machine. I have modified some NMTB holders to fit, and have picked up a number of genuine Erickson holders also. You can find them sometimes on eBay. I bought 20 of them about 3 years ago from a local shop for $100.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA