I went to see the vertical/horizontal mill last weekend.
It is a AEW Horizon machine about 15-20years old think. it seems to be from the UK.
Anyone have experience with these mills? Are they anygood?
the head seems to be a relatively strudy square column.
I measured the runout of the quil to be .002". What would be considered acceptable for runout? and why?

Some possible issues are:
1. Runout
2. The table seems to only have about 18" of X travel( i was wishing for 20"+), and the knee has about 8 inches of travel. Is there a way to extent the X travel cheaply? i was wishing for more knee and table travel.
3. When machining some Aluminum the cut did not see to be very smooth on the sides of the cut path when moving. When left spining the sides did seem to be very smooth.
The bottom of the cut was realtively smooth but not the smoothest i have seen. What would be causing this? The cut was only about 1/4" deep.
4. price, the owner told me originally around $1000 can. when i got there he wanted $1800 Can. it included a 6" vise, and a number of tool holders. the holders are #30.
5. Are the tool holders, #30 taper something that will bit me for cost of replacement in the end?

In the end,
What do you more experienced machinist think I should do? Is this machine worth it?

All help appreciated.Thx in advance.