Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit

Thread: Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit

Hi, I just brought home a well used Shizuoka AN-S, which has been converted at some point to run Mach 3 with Tormach Nema 34 motors and Geckodrives. I've stripped off the electronics and am in the process of giving everything a deep, deep cleaning.

Posting here because there aren't a huge number of these around but since I see postings from time to time I wanted to chime in and let folks know I am working on rehabbing one if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit

Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-angle-view-jpgShizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-front-view-jpgShizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-left-side-view-jpgShizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-rear-view-jpgShizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-right-side-view-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-angle-view-jpg   Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-front-view-jpg   Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-left-side-view-jpg   Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-rear-view-jpg  

Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-shizuoka-purchase-right-side-view-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a major project. I'll be watching your progress I have an AN-S sitting in my shop also, did a complete retrofit on it. If I can be of any help just let me know.

Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-img_1308-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-img_1308-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Looks like a major project. I'll be watching your progress I have an AN-S sitting in my shop also, did a complete retrofit on it. If I can be of any help just let me know.
    Thanks!

Your's looks a bit cleaner than mine. I've had it sitting outside for several weeks and probably have 6 hours spent just pressure washing it.

Did you find all the fasteners to be a weird combination of SAE and metric? As in a bolt could have SAE threads but a metric head, etc?

Downloads
    Uploads

Waiting to see more pictures

It does have a combination of SAE and metric, but the SAE are all in the tool changer that was made in the USA. I don't recall having any fasteners like that on the machine, but I never really paid much attention. Any fasteners that were removed just went back in the same hole on assembly. I do have some 1/4-20's with 10mm hex heads in the drawer.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Waiting to see more pictures

It does have a combination of SAE and metric, but the SAE are all in the tool changer that was made in the USA. I don't recall having any fasteners like that on the machine, but I never really paid much attention. Any fasteners that were removed just went back in the same hole on assembly. I do have some 1/4-20's with 10mm hex heads in the drawer.
    All I have right now is my rebuild of the oilers, finished today...amazingly after a thorough cleaning (ultrasonic cleaner, sand blaster, wire wheel, etc) they both look and work great.

Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-rebuilt-bijur-showa-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shizuoka AN-S, Mach 3 retrofit-rebuilt-bijur-showa-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for waking up an old post can a Shizuoka an/s be retrofitted to run Mach 3 software? Can anÿone point me to the right person so I can pick there brain on Shizuoka an/s retrofitting?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, virtually any machine can be retrofitted with Mach3. It's just a matter of installing the axis motors and drives and wiring everything up. It's possible to go really cheap to very expensive, or somewhere in between. No different than a little bench top machine, it's just larger.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA