Newbie Is There Any Need For A Quill Lock On A CNC'd Quill?

Thread: Is There Any Need For A Quill Lock On A CNC'd Quill?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is There Any Need For A Quill Lock On A CNC'd Quill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is There Any Need For A Quill Lock On A CNC'd Quill?

Quote Originally Posted by Overtorque View Post
    If so, why?

Thanks in advance.
    You did not say what kind of machine this is on

If it is a quality machine, then no you would not need it, you would need to block the hole though, any chips getting will seize up the quill

For any cheap import machines, you may need it to take up the slop in the quill, as most have too much clearance between the quill and the housing, removing the handle would be a good idea, if you have it to tight that could be a problem as well

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You did not say what kind of machine this is on

If it is a quality machine, then no you would not need it, you would need to block the hole though, any chips getting will seize up the quill

For any cheap import machines, you may need it to take up the slop in the quill, as most have too much clearance between the quill and the housing, removing the handle would be a good idea, if you have it to tight that could be a problem as well
    Thanks for your reply.

It's a Manford Super Precision knee mill (Taiwan), converted to CNC. They claim TIR at the spindle taper is <.00012, so it should be a tight machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply.

It's a Manford Super Precision knee mill (Taiwan), converted to CNC. They claim TIR at the spindle taper is <.00012, so it should be a tight machine.
    The spindle run out spec, has nothing to do with the quill and Housing clearance, but these machines should be no as loose as some, I would not take it out, just remove the locking handle

Looks like what you have is the same machine as the Acer there are many that are just rebranded

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle run out spec, has nothing to do with the quill and Housing clearance, but these machines should be no as loose as some, I would not take it out, just remove the locking handle

Looks like what you have is the same machine as the Acer there are many that are just rebranded
    Thanks for your reply, once again.

I was under the impression that the spindle runs in the quill, so wouldn't a tight spindle = a tight quill?

Keep in mind that the quill is held in place (in part) by the cnc quill drive kit.

I appreciate your replies, this is new ground for me.

The manufacturer (Manford) took out the quill lock when installing the quill drive, so what I'm specifically asking is;
    Do I need to purchase and install one?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply, once again.

I was under the impression that the spindle runs in the quill, so wouldn't a tight spindle = a tight quill?

Keep in mind that the quill is held in place (in part) by the cnc quill drive kit.

I appreciate your replies, this is new ground for me.

The manufacturer (Manford) took out the quill lock when installing the quill drive, so what I'm specifically asking is;
    Do I need to purchase and install one?
    Not really what you first asked, if the retro fitter removed it then there would be no need for it, they are protecting the quill by removing it, as if it go locked up to tight it would cause damage, I would make sure the hole is blocked off, or chips will get in there and cause more damage than if it still had the quill lock in place

The spindle runs in the quill yes, but the quill runs in the Head main housing, this is were the quill has to be a good fit, the lock is not related to the spindle in any way, the lock is related only to the Quill and main Head Housing

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not really what you first asked, if the retro fitter removed it then there would be no need for it, they are protecting the quill by removing it, as if it go locked up to tight it would cause damage, I would make sure the hole is blocked off, or chips will get in there and cause more damage than if it still had the quill lock in place

The spindle runs in the quill yes, but the quill runs in the Head main housing, this is were the quill has to be a good fit, the lock is not related to the spindle in any way, the lock is related only to the Quill and main Head Housing
    Thank you, once again, for your answer.