Convert manual mill to CNC

Thread: Convert manual mill to CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Convert manual mill to CNC

I have two manual vertical mills. One is a Bridgeport. The other is an Excello. I've been looking into converting one to CNC. I can make all the mechincal parts. But I have zero experience with the electrical/controls side. Is there a decent write up on how to get this done? Or does someone make and sell a plug and play (or very well labaled) wiring set up for CNC conversion?

The mills i find locally that are pretty much CNC converted mills, go for around $7-8000. Add in rigging/trucking it, that could easily be $9000.

For those that have done this. What did you spend all said and done? Not including the mill, which i already own.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Convert manual mill to CNC

It really depends on what you want to end up with. It's quite possible to add the controls for <$1000 on the low end and have a reasonably serviceable CNC machine. Or on the high end, the sky's the limit. I have done 2 mills for about $7500 each. And currently have a lathe in process that will be around $10,000 when completed. The two mills were already CNC machines as is the lathe. The lathe price includes all new servo drives and motors, the mills used the original drives and motors.

Your BP would probably be the easiest to convert because there are bolt in ball screw kits available, not sure if the same is true for the Excello.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Convert manual mill to CNC

I suggest searching the forum for those who have already made a conversion on the same general machine as you're thinking of converting. If nothing else it may offer some pro/cons of different options. Once you decide which machine and have your hardware options figured out there are a few places that sell fairly low cost electronic kits and/or parts that folks have had good results with. None will be beyond your abilities. A complete plug and play setup isn't really a requirement and a kit or buying separate components can save you quite a bit. Take a look at automation technologies inc and cncrouter parts for some complete electronics packages or individual items. For motion controllers and breakout boards try cnc4pc. Most all have wiring diagrams etc. Also Gecko drives are common and their web site has controllers/drivers and steppers. I'm guessing a setup with nema 34 steppers or servo motors will be the likely option. Modern motion boards and breakout boards that use ethernet make things easier, more reliable and less prone to issues than using parallel printer port or usb boards. With any you'll find info and help here on the forums as far as wiring and setting it all up should you need help.