Build Thread King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Around 2 years ago I first discovered CNC Zone and was inspired by Chich2’s thread Hafco HM52 conversion to CNC. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25895
    I was considering purchasing a King Rich Knee Mill at that time until the AU$ exchange rate went through the floor. In Feb this year and the AU$ in much better shape, I decided to revisit the idea and have gone ahead and bought a KRV-2000 with a few factory fitted extras which will help with my CNC conversion. I’m in Adelaide and my new machine was shipped to my computer business in the city and transferred to my ute for the short trip home. At around 1300kg the logistics exercise in moving and positioning a machine of this size shouldn’t be under estimated. A chain block and rollers did the final job after a fair amount of sweat and cursing. I have interests in motorsport also I have begun a Honda S600 restoration. Conversion of a Mill is another project to keep me busy in semi retirement and is mainly for hobby use in future. My workshop includes a Hafco AL-340D 415V Lathe and 1200 x1.6mm folder.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-20100408-delivery-002small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-20100408-delivery-005small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-20100408-delivery-014small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-power-box-002-medium-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I mentioned a few factory fitted extras. My mill has been prepared by the factory for fitting a Proto Trak CNC system. The motors and controller are normally fitted by the Australian Distributor in Melbourne and adds nearly AU$20k to the price of the package including software. The factory fits ball screws and X and Y axis Cast servo motor mounts. Other additions include a larger transformer 1600VA for 110Vac servo supply, Universal Monitoring Safety Relay for E-Stop and Limit Switches, a heavy cast pendant arm for mounting the controller display. Another handy addition for continuous use is an automatic lubrication system. First thing to do is run some 3 Phase power and isolator switch. New column from floor to ceiling to bring conduit down and mount switch. Reworked the E-Stop circuit for manual operation just to get the machine to start.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-john-mill-003small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-john-mill-004smal-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-power-box-025small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-power-box-021small-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-john-mill-010small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-millcircuits-020-medium-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-millcircuits-009small-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

Congratulations on buying such a nice machine, should make for a good conversion, have you given any thought as to what servos and control software you will use?

Regards
    Ray

PS. Is the Z axis drive on the knee or the quill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray, I am watching what you are doing with a lot of interest. I have not committed to any solution at this stage. I think my machine is a little bit bigger and heavier than the HM52 but that would only matter if the weight of the table and saddle is significantly higher. The SWI Proto Trak system uses 160V DC Brushless servos with the Amps integrated in the motor housing. 1:3 reduction on X and Y axis. I am focusing on the X and Y at this stage and will do the Z axis when I am satisfied that all is good. Your AC servo solution looks good and I am keen to understand the Pros and Cons? I have no specs or circuit diagrams to the SWI system to do comparisons? I took the following pics in the Standaco showroom in Melbourne. I have no experience with CNC software and will follow recommendations?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-emoteq-motor-a802-specsmall-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-motor-spec-001small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-motor-spec-004small-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

Yes, I think that your machine looks better than the HM52, having the ballscrews already fitted is a nice plus.

AC servo's versus brushed DC, it's a long and involved topic, but to cut to the chase.. AC servo's are generally smaller, more efficient more reliable (no brushes) but tend to be more costly, and require a bit more sophistication from the amplifier design. Brushless DC on the other hand, are very much in the same ballpark as AC servo's. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who could probably add considerably to the discussion. The main advantage of brushed DC is the cost and availability, not to mention a reasonably wide choice of amplifiers.

I chose AC servo's because I spotted them on ebay at a reasonable price. They run on 240v AC single phase, which simplifies the power supply design..

Whichever way you go, there are plenty of people around here who are only to happy to help you through the rough spots.

Regards
    Ray

Downloads
    Uploads

I have taken the plunge and ordered some Servo motors from Korea on Ebay. Is anyone familiar with these units and can steer me in the right direction to get these up and running? I'm following Ray Gardiner's lead but have choosen a different AC servo pack. Please Jump in with any suggestions.

ROCKWELL SAMSUNG 750W AC SERVO DRIVERS AND MOTORS FOR 3 AXES

DRIVER
    THREE SAMSUNG CSDJ-10BX21 1Kw
    INPUT VOLT. : 220-230 Vac 1PHASE 50/60Hz
    OUTPUT POWER : 0-230Vac 3PH
    CONTROL : POSITION, TORQUE, SPEED ETC...
    SUPPORT CW/CCW, PULSE(CLK)/DIRE INPUTS
    MADE IN KOREA, ROCKWELL SAMSUNG AUTOMATION.

AC SERVO MOTORS
    THREE CSMZ-08BA1ANM3 750W-1HP, ONE WITH BREAK-24V DC)
    RATED REV. 3000 RPM
    MADE IN KOREA, ROCKWELL SAMSUNG AUTOMATION.

ACCESSARIES
    THREE 3M-10350 CONNECTORS FOR WIRING SIGNALS
    THREE 3M-10320 CONNECTORS FOR ENCODER CABLE-BOTH SIDE (NEED TO REWIRE)
    THREE POWER CONNECTORS(MOTOR<=>SERVO DRIVE)
    SIX PHOTO LIMIT SWITHCHES
    ONE NOISE FILTER
    ONE PC-BREAKOUT BOARD INTERFACE CABLE
    SERVO SETTING SOFTWARE AND ENGLISH PDF MANUALS ON CD-ROM

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sdim5735toptile-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sdim5735bottile-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 05-24-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The servo kit arrived Friday from Korea and all looks good. I've ordered some timing pulleys and belts from Naismith in Melbourne that should arrive tomorrow. The encoder cables need to be made up using the connectors supplied with the kit. I have decided to order new AMP Mate-N-Lok caps and socket contacts to match the encoder and power plugs on the motors rather than trying to remove used pins from the connector caps supplied. For around $20 form RS Components it will be a lot easier to use new contacts. Still looking for some suitable cable to use for them. A 30m reel of good cable costs over $400 from RS. I need about 5m. Another idea was to run 3 high quality SVGA cables from the servo drives enclosure out to the 3 servo motor mounts and make adaptors to HDDB15 connectors for the encoders. Good quality SVGA cables are flexible, have 5 twisted pairs and excellent shielding. The 3 coaxial connections would be unused. I've got a 200 page manual on the drives to read and understand!

Downloads
    Uploads

Had some fun today making the timing pulleys fit. 48T516 and 16T516 pulleys and 400mm belt for the X axis and 450mm belt for the Y. The 19mm motor shaft was a problem for the small 16 tooth pulley.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-054small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-056small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-057small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-061small-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-063small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-065small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-066small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-067small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

More pics of X and Y motor configuration.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-005small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-006small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-007small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-008small-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-010small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-012small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-013small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-014small-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-015small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-017small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-022small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-023small-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-024small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-025small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

BMS,

That sure is looking good. Keep showing the pics and any info or trouble you run into. Any advice or comments are welcomed.

Good luck,
    JAckal

Downloads
    Uploads

I am very new to all this. This is the first time I have ever used a milling machine. This is the first job my new machine has done. With some advice, experimentation and a little common sense, I am happy with the results. The X-axis motor is mounted and the cast table top fitted to cover and protect it. That is the mechanical side of a 2 axis system done, now wiring the servo drives is the next daunting task.
    Jackal, I welcome your comments and advice.
    Cheers,
    John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-001-3-small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-003-2-small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-004small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Next step - Do it NOW!

You need to mount and test your axis limit switches and E-stop circuits.

In the event of a run away for any reason you need to be able to stop that thing before it self destructs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default E-Stop

Limit switches were also fitted by the factory in preparation for the Proto Trak system to be fitted to my mill. The micro switch modules on the X-axis and Y-axis are wired to separate DB-9 plugs ready to be connected to the controller. I have sketched the wiring connections after continuity testing the circuit. I shall incorporate these limit switches in my drive E-Stop circuit before testing the motors.
    Thanks Skullworks, I can see how easily safety can be overlooked in the enthusiasm of getting things running.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-millcircuits-006small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-millcircuits-007small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-millcircuits-013small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm back from a 7 week break and want to get these motors wired. The used AC servos came with encoder lead plugs and sockets that had been cut from the original machine. I discovered that my VGA cable idea was no good when I cut into a new cable to find only 8 conductors not twisted pairs and 3 coaxial. Belkin need to correct their specifications. I need to source new or used cable to make up new leads. The encoder cable is 5 twisted pairs of multi stranded copper, a rope core and a braided shield in a flexible PVC outer. The second picture shows a 9 pair shielded cable that was attached to the drive encoder plug which must have been for a different encoder. I have made several enquiries trying to source suitable cable with little success. I need only 2 m per lead and Suppliers want to sell a 30 m roll for hundreds of dollars. If anyone can help with new or used cable, I am keen to hear from you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-encoder-cable-001small-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-encoder-cable-002small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Suitable Servo Motor Cable

I have ordered some cable from Farnell Australia following a reply from Stewey.

Part Num. Qty . Availability Line Price Description Mfr Part # Mfr Name
    ======= ==== ======== ======= ================================== ======= ========
    1286036 5 Refer Web 57.20 DATA CABLE, FLEX, 5PAIR, 0.25MM, PER M; 0030922 LAPP KABEL
    1286022 5 Refer Web 31.10 CABLE, HI FLEX, 4CORE, 0.75MM, PER M; R 0027547 LAPP KABEL
    GST : $8.83
    Total : $97.13

The 5 pair cable for the encoders and the 4 core cable for the 3 phase Power.
    Nice that they sell some cable by the metre.

Thanks Stewey for the info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Happy to help!
    (actually I think it's Belkin cable too...)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drive Enclosure

Figuring out how to mount the Servo Drives in the existing Enclosure on the rear of the machine today. Drilled and tapped some holes in the rear plate using co-ordinates and hand winding the mill table back and forth to get an accurate layout.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-drive-enclosure-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-encoder-cable-011small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

looking good there mate.

will be very keen to see how you go with this conversion.

i have an Ostmac (king rich Kr-v2000) that i would love to convert one day.

can i ask what sort of $$$ this mill set you back in 'prototrak ready' form?

Downloads
    Uploads

this is my new old mill

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-mill-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Costs

My new KR-V2000 mill supplied with the factory fitted extras that enable a Proto Trak CNC system to be fitted, cost me $AU 10,860 ex. gst + delivery.
    The rear mounted Drive/Contoller Enclosure was also included in the "Proto Trak Ready" package.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-john-mill-008small-jpg  

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast