Build Thread King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,
    Looking good,
    In Mach3 if you hit the limit switch it stops the drive and requires you to rest the "REST". After you have done that you can move away from the limit switch (Mach3 keeps you at slow speed till you are off the switch).
    Second point is that when you tell Mach3 to Ref Home it moves to the limit switchs and trips them then moves back till they are not on. If you wire the drive to shut you won't be able to set up your RefHome.
    I would be honest and say the ability to set the refhome I love, it makes life so much easier to work the machine.
    Hope that helps.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Test Run X Axis

I have set the limit switches to trigger the direction prohibit functions on the drives. By using the Normally open contacts as well, Mach3 will get a home ref input when any of the limits trigger. I have got the Servo Alarm circuit to cut the power only if sh*t happens.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWeaBt_-gsM"]YouTube - Mill first test run[/nomedia]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 Axis working under Mach3 control

My limit switches work well. X+ limit, prohibits any further forward rotation of the X servo. X- prohibits reverse rotation. Likewise for the Y axis. So it is OK to jog onto a limit switch and the servo stops then jog back off it. With the Mach3 limits input connected to all the limit switches in parallel (using the normally open contacts) then home referencing works fine and an over travel E-Stop can be overridden by the software if it is triggered. No risk of jogging off in the wrong direction.

With my limit switches sorted and safe, I ran my first G-code and the air cut fine.

Time to read the manual again and look at more detailed configurations.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pendant Laptop Mount

I have fabricated an angle iron bracket and a sheet metal tray to mount a laptop to the pendant. This is where the machine was originally designed to take the Proto Trak controller. The lid of the laptop can be closed when not in use to help protect it. Still need to cut openings in the sheet metal tray for the cables. Also milled a piece of C-channel to make a switch bracket and noise filter shroud for the Drive enclosure. Was able to then tidy up some of the birds nest. Being able to mill a 16mm hole and radius corners with a 8mm end mill is wounderful! My G-code knowledge extent G0,G1,G2&G3 so far. Good fun.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-pendant-laptop-mount-05-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-pendant-laptop-mount-06-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-pendant-laptop-mount-07-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-pendant-laptop-mount-08-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-pendant-laptop-mount-09-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-pendant-laptop-mount-10-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 02-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SmoothStepper

I have ordered a SmoothStepper USB Motion Control Interface for Mach 3 to plug into my interface box and provide a USB connection to the laptop. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone. I shouldn't have to worry about laptop performance issues with the SmoothStepper generating the pulses and a 3m USB cable will be easier to route from the Drive enclosure. I haven't experienced any noticeable problems with the laptop but I have every non-essential function disabled including the wireless network interface. Can I expect any unforeseen problems with these units?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-smoothstepper-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

No, you should be fine. One point to note is that it is better to power the SmoothStepper off a separate 5V supply rather than from the Laptop via the USB cable. Some laptops (and even desktops) will sometimes put the USB port into a power down state.

If you have a 5V supply available in your controller box, that should be fine.

BTW, thanks for the order.

Cheers,

Peter.

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Latest purchase:

USED ROCKWELL SAMSUNG 200W SERVO DRIVERS AND MOTORS FOR 3 AXES
    • DRIVER
    THREE SAMSUNG CSDJ-02BX2 DRIVER-200W
    INPUT VOLT. : 220-230 Vac 1PHASE 50/60Hz
    OUTPUT POWER : 0-230Vac 3PH 200W
    CONTROL : POSITION, TORQUE, SPEED ETC...
    SUPPORT CW/CCW, PULSE(CLK)/DIRE INPUTS
    (WE PROVOIDE YOU SIMPLE AND EAYS WIRING DIAGRAM FOR MACH3.4)
    MADE IN KOREA, ROCKWELL SAMSUNG AUTOMATION.
    • SERVO MOTORS
    THREE CSM-02BB1ANT3 200W
    RATED REV. 3000 RPM
    MADE IN KOREA, ROCKWELL SAMSUNG AUTOMATION.

• ACCESSARIES
    *THREE 3M-10350 CONNECTOS FOR WIRING SIGNALS
    *THREE POWER CONNECTORS
    *SIX PHOTO LIMIT SWITHCHES
    *ONE NOISE FILTER
    *ONE PC - BREAKOUT INTERFACE CABLE
    *SERVO SETTING SOFTWARE AND ENGLISH PDF MANUALS ON CD-ROM
    *PRINTED SIMPLE AND EASY WIRING DIAGRAM FOR MACH2,3

• FREE BREAKOUT BOARD(=INTERFACE, BUFFER BOARD)
    -SUPPORTS X,Y,Z,A AXIS SIGNAL INTERFACES.

• -THREE RELAY AUXILIARY OUT PUT.

• -FIVE INPUTS FOR X,Y,Z,A LIMIT SWITCHS
    AND EMERGENCY SWITCH.
    -USING PC PARALLEL PORT
    -INPUT VOLTS : DC24V
    -INCLUDED 2M PRINTER EXTENSION CABLE

Also:

LINEAR BEARING, BALLSCREW ACTUATOR

- BALLSCREW MODEL : THK R3206 X-ZERO
    • BALLSCREW OVERALL LENGHT :360mm
    • BALLSCREW DIAMETER :32mm
    • TRAVEL PER ROTATION : 6mm
    • X-ZERO CLASS (C-ZERO + C-ZERO) --DOUBLE NUTS

- LINEAR BEARING MODEL: THK HSR30 (2Rail, 2Blocks)
    • LINEAR BEARING OVERALL LENGHT : 280mm
    • LONG TYPE BLOCK

-TRAVEL STROKE : 80mm

CONDITION
    excellent working condition.

I figured these would make good A B and C axis drives or one could be used on the quill instead of the larger unit. They are from the same Samsung family as my initial purchase so I know how they work. The ballscrew mechanism may give me a head start on operating the Quill. Could use my remaining large servo on the Knee to do rough adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-1-home-tile-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-bufferboarddd-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sdim9048-tile1-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sdim9048-tile2-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sdim9048-tile3-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sdim9048-tile4-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-ball-screw1-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 02-27-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default SmoothStepper Installed

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86R3-Y4-z8E"]YouTube - SmoothStepper Upgrade to Mach3 Breakout board[/nomedia]

I cut a purspex carrier board to mount the SmoothStepper above the existing breakout board in the interface enclosure. The video shows the mill feedrate increased to 1000mm/min and a air cut of the same G-code. No Z axis delays as it has been disabled and it doesn't exisit any way.

The green and yellow LEDS are the pulse and direction signals for the 2 working axes. The red LEDS are the drive enable and the spindle control.

No installation issues, too easy.

Last edited by BMSTECH; 03-04-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Machine Vise Recommendations?

I have been using a cheap drill press vise on my mill and it is time I invested in a proper machine vise. I have been looking at Vertex 6 inch anglock V306 on a swivel base. $365. I don't know if I need the swivel base when I now have CNC control. Has anyone got any suggestions? What is available and is good quality and good value in a Machine vise? I have purchased some tooling from Hong Kong which seems quite good but haven't seen Machine vises readily available. I figure a good vise will last forever and it is not worth compromising too much.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-drill-press-vice-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-v306_0_500-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 04-22-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BMSTECH View Post
    I have been using a cheap drill press vise on my mill and it is time I invested in a proper machine vise. I have been looking at Vertex 6 inch anglock V306 on a swivel base. $365. I don't know if I need the swivel base when I now have CNC control. Has anyone got any suggestions? What is available and is good quality and good value in a Machine vise? I have purchased some tooling from Hong Kong which seems quite good but haven't seen Machine vises readily available. I figure a good vise will last forever and it is not worth compromising too much.
    If you're looking in that price range, I'd look at Glacern Machine Tools - Premium Quality Vises and Tooling. Their stuff is absolutely fabulous! I have one of their 6" "deluxe" mill vices, and it is a thing of beauty. Same goes for their drill chucks and face mills.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Choosing the right Vise

Thanks Ray L. for that link. Yes I would love to own a GMT 6inch premium vise. I watched all the Crash course in Milling videos there also. Very good. I am very much a beginner when it comes to actual machining. I have also looked at Kurt vises made in the USA. Problem is I am in Australia and shipping would cost half as much again. I know there is a lot of cheap c_rap coming out of China but there is also some world class products being made there now. I figure that a GMT or Kurt quality vise may be available from a Hong Kong tool wholesaler and that shipping would be much cheaper to Australia. I live in hope! I am certainly in the market for that quality of vise right now if any suppliers have anything to offer.
    BTW is it "Vise" or "Vice" I have seen it spelt both ways everywhere?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-gmt-premium-vise-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-kurt-hdm690-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Oops! Right you are, it's "vise". A "vice" is more like drinking, gambling, etc.

Yeah, the typical Chinese stuff is really hit or miss. My experience has not been good. Good luck!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vise or Vice?

Vise if you are a Yank
    Vice if you are a Pom

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-vise-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Vise

I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of 6 inch Double vises from China. I don't expect them to be as nice as a Glacern but price, shipping and paypal payment made my decision easier and I hope I have found good value. They are heavy buggers and will take about a month to arrive in Adelaide via sea freight.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-double-mulit-vise-china-png   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-gmt-double-vise-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

So what did they charge you?

Downloads
    Uploads

They have cost about $600 each including shipping to Adelaide. I am not sure of any local charges that may be incurred when they arrive. It is a bit of a gamble. I don't think I could walk into a machine tools supplier anywhere in Adelaide and look at a similar product. If I could, I would expect to pay double what I have. It is a gamble I'm prepared to take. I'm aways the optimist. That is what you call a "vice". I shall post some better pictures when they arrive. The factory picture is terrible compared with the Glacern one for a product which is essentially the same. Same spec ductile cast iron, same 45 HRC hardness, same size and weight, ground by a company that manufactures surface grinders. Ground to 1 thou tolerance compared to Glacerns 1/2 thou. You would think a bit of spit and polish and a good photo would help sales. That is the next thing they need to copy from Glacern.

Downloads
    Uploads

I gather you brought more then 1, GST is payiable over $1,000 and some times you get hit with import duty (I think China is excempt).
    Have a great day.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Vises arrived

Have just unpacked my new vises from China. First impression is that they seem OK. Not Glacern bling.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vises-7-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vises-8-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vises-9-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vises-10-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vises-11-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vises-12-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been reading your conversion thread on the King Rich.
    I have an Lagun FTV1 that I would like to do a conversion on. A couple of questions that I have, the lagun doesn't have ball screws, can you use a DRO as a position control so I don't have to replace the screws? Is there any measurements I would need to take to decide what size of servos I would need?
    Any help would be great!
    I have very limited experience so I probably will be asking more questions as I go along.

Thanks, Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using DRO scales as feedback

Terry,

The backlash from acme screws will cause more problems with a cnc machine than can be solved with DRO scale position feedback. The varying force between the work and the tool while cutting and regular change of direction with produce chatter of the table and therefore fluctuation of the DRO scale output. A servo driver will struggle to compensate for that variation and is likely to produce an unstable motor output ranging from noisy to erratic. The workpiece will suffer.
    Bite the bullet and invest in ballscrews.
    The link below is a set of suitable servos similar to mine that would be perfect for your machine. Check the power input.

SAMSUNG 600W SERVO PACK,DRIVER MOTOR 3-AXIS CNC,ROUTER | eBay

I have had no problems with this Korean supplier and free freight.

I'm happy to help where I can. I'm a novice too.

John

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast