Need Help! K2CNC has 1 Servo plus control box damaged (Newbie)

Thread: K2CNC has 1 Servo plus control box damaged (Newbie)

Downloads
    Uploads

Question K2CNC has 1 Servo plus control box damaged (Newbie)

I picked up a 4x4 K2CNC. It has 2 issues that I see... so far:
    1) The Z servo has a bent shaft & won't turn. I can't find a replacement servo. (D860-30B7-TC9) Any other options? All 80mm servos seem to be 750w+ and DAE HWA no longer makes them.
    2) It needs a new control system. I removed the Gecko drives. It has a pair of G320's and a pair of G320x's. I want to control everything with a Mach4 controller. The problem is the Mach 4 has 4 output wires per channel (2) pulse & (2) direction. The Gecko has only 3 input wires- Direction, Step & Common. Can these work together?

Or... Am I better off buying all new closed loop steppers and just have 80mm adapters made?

I've run & repaired various CNCs and Lasers, but control systems is new to me. Have lots of low voltage DC, Arduino & Raspberry Pi experience - so I know enough to know I don't know anything.
    Any help would be fantastic!
    -Tom

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: K2CNC has 1 Servo plus control box damaged (Newbie)

Hi,

The problem is the Mach 4 has 4 output wires per channel (2) pulse & (2) direction. The Gecko has only 3 input wires- Direction, Step & Common. Can these work together?
    Mach4 is software and does not 'put out' anything. Mach4 drives a motion controller and the motion controller usually drives a breakout board, and so its the breakout board which 'put out' signals.
    It sounds like you have differential outputs from the breakout board, that would be two (a pair) of wires for Direction and another two (pair) for the Step. Differential are generally prefered as they are faster, say 500kHz,
    whereas single ended signals top out at about 200kHz. You should be able to drive the G320's with just one leg of each pair.

Any other options?
    I use Delta AC servos, good quality, documentation, support and free setup and tuning software, at fair prices, for example:

https://www.fasttobuy.com/flange-80m...er_p28084.html

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PlywoodTom37 View Post
    I picked up a 4x4 K2CNC.

2) It needs a new control system. I removed the Gecko drives. It has a pair of G320's and a pair of G320x's. I want to control everything with a Mach4 controller. The problem is the Mach 4 has 4 output wires per channel (2) pulse & (2) direction. The Gecko has only 3 input wires- Direction, Step & Common. Can these work together?

-Tom
    There are 3 ways of wiring your step/direction signals.
    For 4 connections output and only 1*S,1*D,1Com (3 input). Look up:
    Open collector PNP stepper driver wiring. (high).
    Open collector NPN stepper driver wiring. (low).

For servos that have 2 seperate +/- inputs for each (4 input).
    Look up:
    Differential servo driver wiring.

In terms of your damaged servo, do what Craig said. Get the Delta matched set.

Are you also suggesting changing your 60mm motors for 80mm?. My question is why?. Just get some Delta 400w 60mm.
    You'll gain nothing with bigger sized motors, in fact you'll prob cause overtravel and stalls due to over-torque.

Last edited by dazp1976; 01-04-2023 at 10:19 AM.