Random limit switch false trip - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random limit switch false trip

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Random limit switch false trip

Random limit switch false trip-img_1241-jpgRandom limit switch false trip-img_1240-jpg
    Hi Jim,

May have narrowed the issue down to the ethernet connection at the Servo Box. I can create a limit switch trip by wiggling the cables at the box with the Servo powered off. So I am thinking there is a weak connection where the ethernet port is mounted to the board that holds the Gecko. Can't really see in there so I guess I will have to remove them to inspect closely. Anything I should know before doing that?

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Random limit switch false trip-img_1240-jpg   Random limit switch false trip-img_1241-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Good detective work!

Maybe the socket connection is a bit loose. I have actually gone in with a small hooked probe (bent paper clip?) and bent the the contacts a bit to get a better contact. Over time with vibration the connection can get a bit weak. Also it can oxidize, so reaching in with an emery board and cleaning the contacts can help also.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim,

Well I cleaned all the contacts with 2000 grit polishing paper and electronic contact cleaner, reseated all the connections in the Servo.... so far so good. It has been up for 4 hours with no faults. In retrospect, this sort of makes sense thinking about the behavior of the mill, especially when it would trip with the Servo powered off. I will let it idle all day tomorrow just to make sure it is resolved.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lumenire View Post
    Jim,

Well I cleaned all the contacts with 2000 grit polishing paper and electronic contact cleaner, reseated all the connections in the Servo.... so far so good. It has been up for 4 hours with no faults. In retrospect, this sort of makes sense thinking about the behavior of the mill, especially when it would trip with the Servo powered off. I will let it idle all day tomorrow just to make sure it is resolved.

Thanks!

My Pleasure

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12