K2 2525LT Y axis tram adjustment

Thread: K2 2525LT Y axis tram adjustment

Downloads
    Uploads

Question K2 2525LT Y axis tram adjustment

hey guys, im pretty new to cnc's but i consider my self pretty mechanically inclined, and I am trying to tram my K2 2525LT and cant seem to find any adjustment screws, or slotted holes to adjust it with. i don't want to start taking things apart before knowing if ill make the problem worse, or doing a ton of work for a simple fix. the x axis is pretty good, but the y axis leaves about a fingernail thick step (i know, its not in thousands of an inch, im new, lol) and it shows up on all the cuts. is this a known issue, or something that there is no fix for, or can it be adjusted, or corrected with an aftermarket part or a hack. i thought about shimming it, but would like to try any other options before going through that.
    thanks in advance!

also, how difficult is it to replace the router head with a spindle?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2 2525LT Y axis tram adjustment-img_5896-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: K2 2525LT Y axis tram adjustment

I recently trammed my K2 in the Y direction by shimming the lower X-axis bearings. It was easy to do once I realized what needed to be done. I used two 1" wide strips of brass as shims. If you raise the Z axis all the way up you can access the four screws for each bearing. I loosened the screws a little, inserted the shims behind the bearings (between the two rows of screws), and tightened the screws back up. You could also shim the upper bearings in the same way, but I suspect yours needs tramming in the same direction as mine, because the weight of the Z axis tends to pull it down a bit. You can calculate the thickness of the shims needed by checking the tram first and converting based on the vertical distance between the top and bottom X-axis bearings. I needed 0.017" shims on mine.

I also just added a water-cooled spindle to mine after having a PC router for several years and getting tired of it. I got the spindle from UGRACNC, where Andy will check the runout for you before shipping. It's great so far. I had an 80 mm spindle mount made for it, or I believe you can get them from VeloxCNC (they didn't respond to my inquiries, but they list the mount on their site). You can use the same wiring that turns the router off/on to do the same with the spindle, you just have to replace the solid-state relay in the box with a mechanical one and use that to switch the VFD. I'm sure you can also control speed from your PC, but that's a little trickier and I haven't bothered yet. I also added a 20lb gas spring, but I'm not sure it was necessary. The Z axis didn't backdrive without it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, thanks! Have you ever had your k2 just freak out on you and go crazy before? Twice now, in one day, I was doing dry runs of some ops, with out tools in the collet, I would send the router back to the g55 position, and it just freaked out, made a crazy high pitch noise, and went the opposite direction, and hit the limit so hard that it actually blew the main fuse for the control box. Wondering if this is a common issue, or just a fun ghost I’ll have to find in my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: K2 2525LT Y axis tram adjustment

No, I haven't had that happen. Occasionally it just stops while running G code and I have to start it again. Does yours have the Kflop controller?If so you might ask about it in the Dynomotion section of the forum.