Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid

Page 1 of 71 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid

Ok, alot of people have been asking about the machine, So after alot of thinking, designing, building, redesigning, rebuilding (three times) this is what i have thus far, it uses the my Carriage design on the X-Axis as well as the Y-Axis, the machine is accessed from the front. The X-Axis will actually be across the machine and the Y-Axis is front to back (Two motors). Using the STMD Drivers and the Keling 425oz motors, because of the length of the lead screws I travel at 120ipm. which is pleanty for me for a home built machine, (as it is I cut at 80 to 100 with rapids of 200ipm on my present machine). Using the 1/2"-8 two start acme, Dumpster Anti-backlash, and so on, the setup is very smooth, I will try to use a PC 7518 eventually on it but for now will prob. use the Hitachi.

Ok, what I am asking from you guys is to help design the Z-Axis as you can see in the picture the Z-Axis slide will be a bolt on to the front, 4-5/16" bolts. the width has to be 6" total for the bolt on plate and the over all width can not exceed 7.5" (to alow for the 48" travel) the bottom of the Axis carriage is 5.5" from table top and have to count for the auto tool changer. I have 4 V-Bearings which will be used for the Z-Axis slide. I have a few idea's but would like a little input and additional thoughts.

So if you can please submit DWG files and we can discuss them and maybe you will be the one to design my Z-Axis.

Thanks, Joe

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-1-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking very cool Joe.

I'm still trying to get my head around building your current one, but will be watching this project in parallel with great interest.

All the best with this one.

Claudio

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    Ok, alot of people have been asking about the machine, So after alot of thinking, designing, building, redesigning, rebuilding (three times) this is what i have thus far, it uses the my Carriage design on the X-Axis as well as the Y-Axis, the machine is accessed from the front. The X-Axis will actually be across the machine and the Y-Axis is front to back (Two motors). Using the STMD Drivers and the Keling 425oz motors, because of the length of the lead screws I travel at 120ipm. which is pleanty for me for a home built machine, (as it is I cut at 80 to 100 with rapids of 200ipm on my present machine). Using the 1/2"-8 two start acme, Dumpster Anti-backlash, and so on, the setup is very smooth, I will try to use a PC 7518 eventually on it but for now will prob. use the Hitachi.

Ok, what I am asking from you guys is to help design the Z-Axis as you can see in the picture the Z-Axis slide will be a bolt on to the front, 4-5/16" bolts. the width has to be 6" total for the bolt on plate and the over all width can not exceed 7.5" (to alow for the 48" travel) the bottom of the Axis carriage is 5.5" from table top and have to count for the auto tool changer. I have 4 V-Bearings which will be used for the Z-Axis slide. I have a few idea's but would like a little input and additional thoughts.

So if you can please submit DWG files and we can discuss them and maybe you will be the one to design my Z-Axis.

Thanks, Joe
    Darn you man, will it never end... Very nice Joe!!

It's not a DWG drawing but how about something like this:

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=141

Looks like they are using 4 V-Bearings for the Y-Axis but the same could be applied to the Z with a narrower rail.
    I purchased a bunch of the same bearings and rails also have been looking at Thomson slides and rails at Nook. Thinking about the same type of slide set up for a future machine or a mod to my Joe's 2006. Haven't put it to paper yet. Well back to checking out your pictures...

Thanks for sharing!!

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

That is where i got the V-Bearings and would like to utilize them in the Z-Axis. 299.00 for the slide is a little more i wanted to pay and only has 4" travel. need atleast 6".

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't blame you! I wasn't suggesting a purchase, just the idea

Haven't gotten anything else drawn but I believe I have the # 2 bearings and rails drawn accurately in AutoCAD if you haven't done it yet and are interested.

Are you using the skate bearing and aluminum angle on the X & Y?

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ccsparky View Post
    Don't blame you! I wasn't suggesting a purchase, just the idea

Haven't gotten anything else drawn but I believe I have the # 2 bearings and rails drawn accurately in AutoCAD if you haven't done it yet and are interested.

Are you using the skate bearing and aluminum angle on the X & Y?

Bob
    Yes, X and Y just like the Z-Axis carriage on present machine.

The Z i was thinking two Concentric bushing and V-groove wheel #2 on Lt. side and Two Eccentric bushing and V-groove wheel #2 on the Rt side, Two 12" V-tracts bolted to a 1/2" x 6" x 12" alumn. plate, and Anti-backlash screwed to angle on rear. Just need to draw it up.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, X and Y just like the Z-Axis carriage on present machine.

The Z i was thinking two Concentric bushing and V-groove wheel #2 on Lt. side and Two Eccentric bushing and V-groove wheel #2 on the Rt side, Two 12" V-tracts bolted to a 1/2" x 6" x 12" alumn. plate, and Anti-backlash screwed to angle on rear. Just need to draw it up.

Joe
    Sounds good! Have you seen the double edge rails? I've seen a couple designs where one double edge rail is used in the center of the plate with two wheels on each side.

I might just have to work on a drawing. Sounds like fun.

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Very Sweet looking Joe you are the man. I can't believe that you have the time to develop another machine with everyone asking you to cut your current machine. You are a man with to much time on your hands LOL.
    Keep up the good work.

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdhharm View Post
    Very Sweet looking Joe you are the man. I can't believe that you have the time to develop another machine with everyone asking you to cut your current machine. You are a man with to much time on your hands LOL.
    Keep up the good work.

Rick
    Thanks, Don't forget i have a full time job work 10 to 12 hr days, Sleep is not an option right now... Machine is cutting as i type now. lol

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Don't forget i have a full time job work 10 to 12 hr days, Sleep is not an option right now... Machine is cutting as i type now. lol

Joe
    I hear you about working 10 to 12 hrs day I do the same but their never seems to be enough time to play like with the machine.
    Oh I do like the name of the new Machine is that what you are going to call it

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea thought the name would fit it. MDF, 80/20, pipe rails, HDPE, etc... a collection of materials.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yea thought the name would fit it. MDF, 80/20, pipe rails, DHPE, etc... a collection of materials.

Joe
    True but they all work good together and play well to.

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Joe, looking good.

I really like the pipes on the top and bottom of the lower rails (your Y?) instead of the sides. It solves a few problems in my mind. I guess the bottom trucks are the adjustable ones? How are you attaching the bottom pipe?

I don’t see a leadscrew attached to your Z carriage. Where are you planning to attach to it (top, bottom, back)?
    Edit: Now I see it. Ooops, nevermind.

I have been playing with a set of V-bearings for my 6 inch wide Z. I went with official rails. They are $1 an inch, but you only need two 1 foot (or so) sections, so the total price is not that bad. IMService cut them to length for no additional charge. I mounted them on wooden standoffs. The eccentrics only give you .048” of adjustment, so the rail standoff placement and parallel is critical. My first design had the motor riding up and down with the router, but I think I talked myself out of that.

I went with split rails on my Y to allow greater adjusting. This could also be used for your Z and then you would not have to buy the bushings.

Good Job,
    Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-newz1-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-newz2-jpg  
    Last edited by spalm; 05-31-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: eccentrics give 2x .024 = .048

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

Very cool, can't wait to see what it will do when it is complete.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice design Joe!

Can I ask how you managed to connect the pipe/rails for the Y and X to the support pcs? It looks like you have some sort of plastic spacers between the two but how did you connect it?

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great joe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a picture of how the X and Y Rails are made, hope this helps, using 10-24 screws drill and tapped into pipe rails every 6".

and a shot from the side of the caraiage slide.

Yes the Y-Axis carriage has the tensioning bolts on the bottom, i figured that would be best.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-1-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-2-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-3-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-4-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like it. How are your two y-axis lead screws syncronized?

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by srstol View Post
    I like it. How are your two y-axis lead screws syncronized?

Rob
    Mach3 and timing belt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's my submission for the z-axis. All attempts for accuracy have been made, however I would highly suggest that all measurements be double checked.
    The bolt head measurements are from some bolts that I have, however I found three different sizes so I went with the one I had the most of and that seemed to be the most common.
    These ideas were what I was thinking of for a future mod to my existing machine or for a new machine. I drew these with the dimension as suggested by Joe.

Hopefully the drawings will provide some useful information.

Saved as version 2004
    z_axis.dwg

Saved as version 2000
    z_axis_2000.dwg

Bob

Page 1 of 71 12341151 ... LastLast