Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid - Page 3

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea then you just get a box trow stuff into it, and then look all over for 1/2 hr. just for the things you put in the box and forgot. I think that is all to familiar to some.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the machine is getting to a point where it is harder to climb over the machine to work on it and also almost ready to move to put it into its place. I went to Harber Freight and got 4 screw jacks for 15.99 each and installed them , I need to put two more diag. bracing on the sides to make sure the machine will not flex, As it is not I can push it with my weight about 195 lbs and it does not flex, so with two more pieces i'm sure it will be good to go, And also will place some cross pieces to make a sheck for stock pieces and storage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-20-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-21-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ccsparky View Post
    My point, exactly...

I got a laugh out of seeing your bench top in picture one, turn into picture 3, reminded me of the way my projects go, starts out with a couple wrenchs and some hardware, ends up with a drill, unistrut, socket wrench, more wrenches, more nuts and bolts, a flyer, pray lube, and the pile keeps growing.

Bob

Bob I know the feeling even if it is a simple fix to building a CNC I will have every socket, screw drive, wrench, hammer and on and on that I own in my work space. But I can’t seem to find the tool when I need it go figure LOL

Joe new machine is looking good!!!!!

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Post 30 - floor material

Hi Joe

In post 30, your picture shows assembling the unit on some kind of greyish base material. I assume this is something you use to keep things flat / square. Is this an epoxy floor area, or that special wall board used in bathrooms ?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

That is just an old rug i use for the shop area.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought a 360 deg. laser level.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=6463

Big lots has it for 30.00 sells on amazon for 133.99 a great deal.

I will use it when i have the machine in place and will be able to quickly level it up before i surface the top wood supports to ensure a level bed.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the machine moved into its location, leveled with the Jack screws and used some angle for the adjustment feet.

Also got the walls up for the 8'x8' room it where it will sit (still have enough room to park truck in garage, All the walls are up except the rear, waiting for the belts to arive tommarrow from sdp-spi, to couple the two leadscrews together, to make sure the Gantry stays square incase one motor misses steps hoepfully the other motor will help it along. in one of the pictures you can see the shelf the computer and driver boards in a computer case.

Also on the otherside i have enough room for theDelta dust collection system, with the trash can seperator

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-22-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-23-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-24-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-25-jpg  

Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-26-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

before placing the cutting bed top I milled the wood rails which were screwed from the bottom into the Cross beam stuts, this makes sure the top is parrallel to the gantry.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Impressive looking.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi Joe-- very nice machine....

On my Unistrut that i have, i've noticed some loosening of the uni-Tee nuts - (those silly rectangled ones that only turn one direction) - just a heads up. loctite, or tack welding (if you tack it- remember welding galvanized isn't recommended, toxic gas and such, ventalation very important)

Last edited by jmytyk; 07-03-2007 at 02:14 AM. Reason: didn't know that f u n k y was a bad word...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    Got the machine moved into its location, leveled with the Jack screws and used some angle for the adjustment feet.

Also got the walls up for the 8'x8' room it where it will sit (still have enough room to park truck in garage, All the walls are up except the rear, waiting for the belts to arive tommarrow from sdp-spi, to couple the two leadscrews together, to make sure the Gantry stays square incase one motor misses steps hoepfully the other motor will help it along. in one of the pictures you can see the shelf the computer and driver boards in a computer case.

Also on the otherside i have enough room for theDelta dust collection system, with the trash can seperator

Joe

Joe,

Looks good, can't wait to see it in action!
    How much room will you have with the ATC in place? In the picture it looks like it might be a little tight?

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ccsparky View Post
    Joe,

Looks good, can't wait to see it in action!
    How much room will you have with the ATC in place? In the picture it looks like it might be a little tight?

Bob
    Never mind, after going back and reviewing your prior pictures it looks like you've got it designed to be able to raise the router mount up on the z-axis back plate.

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Joe,
    I really like what you're doing with the 4x4. I curious though, is it stronger/stiffer then the Joe2006? I really like your Joe2006 and might possibly start building a version. Before I do, I'd appreciate knowing if your 4x4 Y-axis is stiffer then then the Joe2006. Any thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 8020 question

Joe,

Those look like some pretty heft extrusions. What size are they? They look HUGH!

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Glidergider View Post
    Hey Joe,
    I really like what you're doing with the 4x4. I curious though, is it stronger/stiffer then the Joe2006? I really like your Joe2006 and might possibly start building a version. Before I do, I'd appreciate knowing if your 4x4 Y-axis is stiffer then then the Joe2006. Any thoughts?
    The overall machine is stout, with this low height gantry and riding on the top of the rails makes it very strudy.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    Joe,

Those look like some pretty heft extrusions. What size are they? They look HUGH!

Bill

They are 2"x4"x72", got two from 80/20 and one from feztek, waited for them to be in the garage on ebay, very hard to come by used. got them for about 60 each plus shipping, usually they are about 130.00 each i think.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

The first cut on the machine was to make its own Dust Collection skirt.

I was very impressed with the quality of the cut, could not really see any chattering. Here are a couple of pictures of the center hole cutouts so you can see the quality of the cut and they are untouched straight out of the machine.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-27-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-28-jpg   Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid-post-29-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    The first cut on the machine was to make its own Dust Collection skirt.

I was very impressed with the quality of the cut, could not really see any chattering. Here are a couple of pictures of the center hole cutouts so you can see the quality of the cut and they are untouched straight out of the machine.

Joe
    Joe, what do you do with all those coasters?
    Very nice results!!

Seeing that you are using your latest style dc, that being the plastic versus the brush, I take it you like this style more and have been getting good results with it?

Can't wait to see more!

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Video?????

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Howdy Joe

Video sounds good.I second the motion

More then likly answer one of my questions.
    Is the attachment floating ? how is it attached? and last but not least. How much Z-axis cutting height do you lose with the ATC ?

Kent

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast