Need Help! My Z axis motor is weak, can move it and stop it under power by hand

Thread: My Z axis motor is weak, can move it and stop it under power by hand

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question My Z axis motor is weak, can move it and stop it under power by hand

Running Mach3 on a XZero Raptor with Nema 23's -Smooth Stepper (ethernet) and Leadshine Mx3660 driver. The X and Y axis are so strong I can't stop them when under power, can't move them at all with machine on, however the z axis is weak, losing steps on lift actions, and I can move it by hand when stopped and when moving. What would cause it to be under powered? I've checked wiring, motor tuning in Mach3, and checked for gantry binding, nothing seems amiss. Bad driver? Bad motor, how to test? Any advice is appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: My Z axis motor is weak, can move it and stop it under power by hand

Switch the Z stepper onto the X or Y driver and see how it does then. Also plug X or Y into the Z and see how they perform.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Z axis motor is weak, can move it and stop it under power by hand

Thank you, I've done so, I placed Z motor plug on the Y driver and visa versa, the Z axis was still weak. That indicates the motor as the culprit right? How do I test motor? or should I just order another asap? Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

If you swapped the plugs at the control box and still have a Z axis motor fault
    you could have either a faulty Z axis motor or a faulty cable

how is the motor connected to the cable from the control box ?

if the motor has short tails of about 4" going to a 4 way connector with crimped terminals
    look very carefully to make sure the terminals are crimped to the wire and not the insulation
    (also check the cable )

you can use a multimeter set to resistance to check the resistance of each motor coil and pair of wires back to the control box are equal

if you measure one coil as 4 ohms and the other 7 ohms
    you have a high resistance joint to correct

John