Need Help! Z Axis too hard?

Thread: Z Axis too hard?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Z Axis too hard?

Hello all!

I am in the final stages of building my Joe's and I am having a bit of a problem with the Z axis.

When the Leadscrew is in place with the Lovejoy, spider and Stepper Lovejoy and I unscrew it, both the leadscrew and the coupling comes down.

What can be causing the problem? Is it too hard? How do I unharden it? The bearings, leadscrew and stepper seem to be correctly aligned.

I was thinking of puting a spring between the Lovejoy and the Bearing in order to keep it in place (see image below), but I dont know if that would be the correct solution to my problem.

Would appreciate any help!

Regards!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z Axis too hard?

The bearing should be keeping the leadscrew in place. If it's dropping, you might not have that bearing installed properly. I'm not sure what you mean by "hard", though - the hardness of the screw doesn't really have anything to do with whether it stays in position or not.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, thanks for the reply.

By hard I mean that if I try to manually screw it when the Lovejoy coupling is in it's right position, then it feels hard and requires me to do some strenght.

The Leadscrew remains in position when stationary, it doesn't drop. It comes down when I unscrew the Leadscrew.

Downloads
    Uploads

You talk about "screwing" and "unscrewing" the leadscrew. Does that mean you're rotating it clockwise and counterclockwise, or fastening the leadscrew assembly to your machine with other screws? A leadscrew should be fixed in place with the bearing so it can revolve in either direction without changing its position. The fact that it's difficult to turn means that it's probably mis-aligned, somewhere in the Z axis assembly. You need to sort out the alignment issues so the Z stage moves smoothly up and down without the leadscrew binding. Then you need to make sure your leadscrew is properly supported so it doesn't move when it turns.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help awerby.

I checked and there was a slight misalignment in the axis. I fixed it and also put a spring between the bearing and the coupling to prevent the screw from coming down.

Regards!