Newbie CNC Milling HDPE

Thread: CNC Milling HDPE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Milling HDPE

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the CNC world just started researching couple weeks ago.I want to know if it is possible to use the machine to mill HDPE to make shoes last. I have always wanted to make my own shoes since it is hard to find a pair to fit my uniquely shaped feet. I have this aerogram that can modify 3d last to fit my feet perfectly. I want to be able to export the last and probably have it milled with a CNC machine out of a HDPE block (5"x11"x5"), flip it over and do the other side. I know that a CNC lathe would be more practical but the cheapest I saw that could fit my needs is too expensive.

So my question to anyone in this forum who is experienced in milling HDPE; Is this practical and if yes could you give an estimate on how long it would take to mill a pair of last and which CNC machine build would be best (12x24x6) and more affordable for this project? I am new to CNC and I plan on taking the next couple of months learning as much as possible but for right now I would like to know how practical this idea is before I start. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is a short video of what I have in mind but I am planning and using a 3 axis CNC

Thank you