Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions) - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Only solid drill rod for the z axis; we are all using gas pipe from HD for the rest. You will see better results if you polish them, and people like sparky did a great job chucking them up on a lathe and polishing them to be very shiny.

Downloads
    Uploads

Will 3/4" drill rod work for the Y axis? Or will Joe have to revise the cutouts to accept 3/4" drill rod for the Y axis?

Richard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You would have to revise all of the cutouts and the bearings might be different. Joe could comment on it more. Can't you return the extra drill rod if you haven't cut into it yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, when you cut my gantry sides, can you make the pipe cutouts exactly 3/4" to match the 3/4" drill rod for the Y axis? This really gets to be a pain in the Butt doesn't it. Also I have purchased the Dumpster 1/2"-8 2-start nuts and previously asked if you would provide the nut holders machined to accept the Dumpster flange you recommended (1-3/16" square flange) and I never heard back from you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Revised Y-Axis Detail Drawing Using 3/4" Pipe

All, I looked up the OD of 3/4" BSP and found it to be 1.05". The 1" OD is 1.315". I created a new drawing that shows the contact point using BSP for both the X and Y Axis.

Joe, forget revising the Gantry Sides. I will purchase 3/4" BSP and polish it as suggested in the forums. I have a lathe that will allow me to do that. That is my task for this weekend. I will purchase the 1" and 3/4" BSP so I am ready when the parts package arrives.

Thanks all for the sharp review of my uploads. Attached is the revised detail showing the contact points using the OD of the BSP. The contact point is acceptable for the Y Axis using the 3/4" BSP. The contact point for the X Axis is ideal.

I have updated my Blog at
    http://www.dickshouse.net/wordpress

Richard

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)-xy-axis-bb-ansi-title-block-pdf  
    Last edited by trajan; 05-22-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Parts List

Added a bunch of links, additional materials and sources. Note that it's divided into a half-dozen separate pages.

Gary

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gacrwell View Post
    Added a bunch of links, additional materials and sources. Note that it's divided into a half-dozen separate pages.

Gary
    Gary,

You've put together an excellent list there which is coming in very handy. I'm in the USA in a few weeks and am trying to pre-order some of the harder to get items and bring them back to Australia with me so this makes life a lot easier for me.

By the way, does anyone have a rough idea of the boxed dimensions and weight of the 2 x 6ft ACME thread from MSC. They appear to currently be out of stock though so hopefully that will be sorted soon.

Thanks,

Claudio

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Additions to older version of the complete parts list

Gary, I have added some items that I have purchased for my Joe's 2006. Hope to get my kit soon. I have gone a more expensive route than some. This is based on problems that others have described on line. More money will sometimes solve the problem. We will see. My list is single page and easy to pick out. My edits are all in RED. As the keeper of the list, please incorporate them as you see fit. Also included is a PDF of a 35 VDC unregulated power supply that matches the models numbers in the power supply portion of the RED additions.

Richard

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)-35vdcps-pdf  
    Last edited by trajan; 06-04-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: missing an attachment

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, this is one of the things I did. I expanded the thickness of the gantry lower tortion gos by 1/2 inch. this allows me to move the lower two screw holes down lower which gets them completely out of the way of the lead screw. (of course the gantry sides also have to be modified a bit too).

The idea being, when you initially set up the system you have 1/4-20 bolts running through the sides holding the gantry together. Once it is assembled and set up properly the 8 upper tortion box bolts were replaces with 1/4-20 threaded rod. In this adaption the two lower sets of bolts for the lower tortion box are also replaced with threaded rod.

Combined with Jay's angle iron bracing of the gantry sides this makes for a pretty ridged structure.

A lot of people have added extra threaded rods to the gantry with lots of pics and descriptions posted, but I haven't seem anyone post dxf files of their adaptions. Hopefully I'm not just duplicating others posts here.

Note also, now the lower tortion box hangs down lower and the front and back of the cutting table may have to be shimmed up if you want to sit the whole machine on a table like Jay did.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by trajan View Post
    Gary, I have added some items that I have purchased for my Joe's 2006. ...Richard
    Very good additions - perfectly usable as-is, but I'll merge them into my latest the next time I make an update.

Anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks,

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Gary,

You've put together an excellent list there which is coming in very handy. I'm in the USA in a few weeks and am trying to pre-order some of the harder to get items and bring them back to Australia with me so this makes life a lot easier for me.

Thanks,

Claudio

I'd sure hate to be paying your return luggage overweight charges...

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gary
    Any donation, no matter how big or small, to my Paypal account would be welcome

I'm trying to keep the weight under control so a 100 lb Joes kit is definitely out of the question, but am thinking the 1/2-8 2 Start lead screws from MSC, the dumpster gear, Lovejoy couplers, t-slot kit from Rockler, a Hitachi M12VC router and an assortment of mills.

Claudio

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gary
    just got back from a vacation in europe, the max weight was 50 pounds per bag and it started at somewhere around $100 for anything over and incrementally figured in to some crazy fee structure. I was only a few ounces under having to pay. But it isn't a bad idea if you pack light!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Any donation, no matter how big or small, to my Paypal account would be welcome

I'm trying to keep the weight under control so a 100 lb Joes kit is definitely out of the question, but am thinking the 1/2-8 2 Start lead screws from MSC, the dumpster gear, Lovejoy couplers, t-slot kit from Rockler, a Hitachi M12VC router and an assortment of mills.

Claudio
    Very smart idea. How much does shipping usually run you? I shipped some stuff back from Europe fedex 3 day and it was around 5 pounds and ran me $12 and change which I thought wasn't that bad. Maybe Australia is different.. btw met a few aussies out there, friendliest of people I met there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would also think about the 6' lead screw as they might treat that as an extra baggage. I know when I travel that would be consider and strange item and i would be dinged for. One way around it might be check and see if you had skis would they permit the sports bag for no extra cost. If so bring some ski and return with the lead screw attached to the side of them This is what I do when I travel to Cuba... anything that is sports is in my sports bag and I am allowed one sports bag.

john

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Very smart idea. How much does shipping usually run you? I shipped some stuff back from Europe fedex 3 day and it was around 5 pounds and ran me $12 and change which I thought wasn't that bad. Maybe Australia is different.. btw met a few aussies out there, friendliest of people I met there.
    bp, Shipping is very expensive to Australia and not many suppliers will do it. It's about US$650 to ship a Joes kit out here, which is about the worst example cost wise I can give.

$12 from Europe seems very cheap. Do you have a Fedex account as I just used their web site to get a quote and it came out to around $90 from London for a 5 lb package.

Most of us a very friendly, must have something to do with the weather and clean air over here.

By the way, coincidently I was reading your build log when you sent this post through. Looks great.

Claudio

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz9075 View Post
    I would also think about the 6' lead screw as they might treat that as an extra baggage. I know when I travel that would be consider and strange item and i would be dinged for. One way around it might be check and see if you had skis would they permit the sports bag for no extra cost. If so bring some ski and return with the lead screw attached to the side of them This is what I do when I travel to Cuba... anything that is sports is in my sports bag and I am allowed one sports bag.

john
    Hi John,

I am undecided about the lead screws for that very reason. I'll try and check with my airline before I comit. Any idea roughly how much ACME lead screws weigh per foot?

Might have to look into the sporting goods option but carrying skis with me might be more hassle than it's worth. Thanks for the tip though.

Claudio

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

claudio, I did it through the hotel, but even the local mail boxes was around that, 12-20 euros. I was surprised, but with volume all of those major shippers give incredible discounts. I have a fedex account as well but I would probably get the same rate as you are saying. That's some serious cash to get it to Australia! It is heavy, but I would imagine you should be able to get some better rates if shipped by sea.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I don't know the weight of the screws. Honestly I think the piece of wood they are strapped to weights more than the lead screws. Basically when I got mine I got a 1 * 4 with the screws wrapped to it... but I did not get mine from MSC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I made it to the USA after a very long flight. Checked with the airline (Air NZ) and I should be able to bring back the lead screws and I get a 50lb per piece, 2 piece limit. I'm travelling with my girlfriend so as long as I can keep her shopping under control then I'll be fully loaded going back home!

So I'll be ordering the 1/2-8 2 Start from MSC, dumpster stuff, rockler t-track stuff, some mills, a Hitachi router, enco bearings, lovejoy couplers.

Any other suggestions while I'm here?

Thanks,

Claudio

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast