Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions) - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)

Downloads
    Uploads

DumpsterCNC parts needed:

three each all 1/2"-8 ACME 2 Start (4 turns per inch)

http://www.dumpstercnc.com/leadnuts_acme.html
    http://www.dumpstercnc.com/leadnuts_flanges.html
    Add a 1-3/16" machined square flange with (4) .144 dia clearance holes.

http://www.dumpstercnc.com/thread_clamps.html

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks joe, will buy tonight and post results later this week.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I am making the plunge to the new screws. I just ordered everything and will post results.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

silver, likewise, glad so many people are making the jump, that way there are more people testing the newer stuff and if all goes well joe can point people in that direction for this model 06 machine in the future..

Downloads
    Uploads

The router support rear plate and the plate it mates to (the one that the u-bolts attach to), has anyone tried making these out of 3/4 aluminum or at least running a 3/4X3/4 steel angle piece along the verticle edges of the router support plate. There seems to be a little flex in mine (mine is currently MDF).

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There shouldn't be any flex to them and they certainly shouldnt be warped. The bearing block one (the slide assem) should be made out of hdpe and the angled aluminum for the bearings should keep it pretty straight. The router holder is mdf and may be somewhat flexible since it is supported at the top but not too bad. Have a photo of them? Pref. side view.

Downloads
    Uploads

you could add some 1.5"x1.5" alumn. angle just behind the router rear plate and bolt it into place, then drill some holes that go through router side mounts. from top to bottom, this will significantly reinforce it, if you like i can add some when i get a chance and post results. I know Rick was having some people cut his out of alumn. not sure if he finished that mod or not.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    you could add some 1.5"x1.5" alumn. angle just behind the router rear plate and bolt it into place, then drill some holes that go through router side mounts. from top to bottom, this will significantly reinforce it, if you like i can add some when i get a chance and post results. I know Rick was having some people cut his out of alumn. not sure if he finished that mod or not.

Joe
    Exactly what I was thinking but probably stated poorly. I did tak a close look at things and found my problem was that one of the u-bolts has loosened up a bit.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

i was very surprised to see mine had not loosened at all, infact when i reinstalled it i lifted it up and it stayed inplace by itself just as it was installed 1 and a half year ago.

I even snaped a picture of it when i reinstalled the z-axis, this is without adjusting the lock nuts at all.

I wonder if yours loosened up due to slight compression of the MDF.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)-image_00064-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=joe2000che;294888I wonder if yours loosened up due to slight compression of the MDF.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Could be, or it could be that I was just to concerned about tightening it just enough and not to much that it didn't tighten it quite enough in the first place.

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Parts List

In the attached spreadsheet file I've taken a first cut at compiling a complete parts list, including mods, add-on's, and alternate sources and components, including links where I could.

I'm hoping that you guys will download it, add to it for your choices of materials and sources, and upload it back to this thread, so we can keep a single complete and up-to-date list.

After looking at all of this stuff in one place, I think I'd like to change my entry in the 'approximate cost' poll - it sure adds up.

The lines in the spreadsheet that have been colored, are alternates for the same component.

Gary

edit: I notice a couple of errors already, only (6) (or 8, with added bearing blocks) of the large bearings are needed, and, I'd forgotten the vinyl hose. I'll update that later - there's lots more that could be added.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gacrwell; 05-08-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gacrwell View Post
    In the attached spreadsheet file I've taken a first cut at compiling a complete parts list, including mods, add-on's, and alternate sources and components, including links where I could.

I'm hoping that you guys will download it, add to it for your choices of materials and sources, and upload it back to this thread, so we can keep a single complete and up-to-date list.

After looking at all of this stuff in one place, I think I'd like to change my entry in the 'approximate cost' poll - it sure adds up.

The lines in the spreadsheet that have been colored, are alternates for the same component.

Gary
    Wow, Gary, nice job. I whish I had that when I started building mine.

Steven

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast